Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

what wind screen to get?

Go down 
+14
silentwolf
mrgeoff
GsVs
toast
Nanabijou
Boondocker
SheWolf
Pistonman
josh
JayTee
SoupSandwich
TBird1
mordicai
NorgeWR2X
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NorgeWR2X

what wind screen to get? Empty
PostSubject: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 11:18 am

anyone got a windscreen on their bike? the wind blast on the freeway is getting annoying lol
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 5:35 pm

NorgeWR2X wrote:
anyone got a windscreen on their bike? the wind blast on the freeway is getting annoying lol

Just got in from a 85 mile interstate commute and as I rode west into the afternoon breeze some guy passed me all happy behind his windscreen while I held on for dear life at 75 mph. I hate windscreens.......never had one........but I'm over 70 now and turning into a wimp.....would be nice and comfy.......nah..if I wanted comfy I buy a motorhome!
Back to top Go down
TBird1

TBird1

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 5:50 pm

I ride all winter here in frosty New England- a windscreen is a must! I bought an MRA Highway screen which is a handlebar-only mount. It's an easy mount and comes back off in seconds if you don't want to use it. Mine vibrated a bit so I fabbed up some lower mounts that bolt to the upper fork mounts (where the side reflectors are located). Now it is rock-steady. I get a steady stream of air that seems to be directed right at the center of my (street) helmet. I don't know if anything else might be better but this does the job for me. It works to at least 70 MPH.

Edit 5/2/2011. It works to at least 85 MPH. wink

Last edited by TBird1 on Fri May 27, 2011 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NorgeWR2X

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 9:54 pm

TBird1 wrote:
I ride all winter here in frosty New England- a windscreen is a must! I bought an MRA Highway screen which is a handlebar-only mount. It's an easy mount and comes back off in seconds if you don't want to use it. Mine vibrated a bit so I fabbed up some lower mounts that bolt to the upper fork mounts (where the side reflectors are located). Now it is rock-steady. I get a steady stream of air that seems to be directed right at the center of my (street) helmet. I don't know if anything else might be better but this does the job for me. It works to at least 70 MPH.

could you kindly take pic of your setup? especially the mounting position on your bar? i have a gps ram mount on my bar so i wonder if it will get in the way of the MRA shield.

thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
SoupSandwich

SoupSandwich

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 1:50 pm

NorgeWR2X wrote:
TBird1 wrote:

could you kindly take pic of your setup? especially the mounting position on your bar? i have a gps ram mount on my bar so i wonder if it will get in the way of the MRA shield.

thanks!!!

+1 on pics..... I live in the Columbia River Gorge and wind is an everyday occurrence, so a wind screen is a must (even though I dont necessarily like how they look on the X).
Back to top Go down
JayTee

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 8:34 pm

I just added a Laminar Lip that is made for the older model KLR650. For me it's just enough to make the highway miles more comfortable. I hardly even notice it's there most of the time. They provide a 3M, velcro like, product to attach it with. I was skeptical due to it's small size but am very pleased with the fit, function and appearance of the shield. I can even ride with my helmet visor up at low speed. It's a little pricey for what it is but has changed how I feel about highway mileage.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 8:52 pm

JayTee wrote:
I just added a Laminar Lip that is made for the older model KLR650. For me it's just enough to make the highway miles more comfortable. I hardly even notice it's there most of the time. They provide a 3M, velcro like, product to attach it with. I was skeptical due to it's small size but am very pleased with the fit, function and appearance of the shield. I can even ride with my helmet visor up at low speed. It's a little pricey for what it is but has changed how I feel about highway mileage.

So this is for what year Kawasaki 650 ? A photo would be great!
Back to top Go down
JayTee

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 9:41 pm

1986-2007 according to the website: http://www.laminarlip.com/klr650.php

Here's a photo of mine...not the greatest image, but you get the idea.

what wind screen to get? IMG_12001024x768
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptyWed May 25, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks Jaytee, That looks very interesting. Just washers and nuts on the back side? Strong enough mounting ? Riding west in the afternoon is getting uncomfortable what with the afternoon breeze.
Back to top Go down
josh

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptyThu May 26, 2011 8:09 am

CEE BAILEY

Back to top Go down
JayTee

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptyThu May 26, 2011 8:56 am

mordicai wrote:
Thanks Jaytee, That looks very interesting. Just washers and nuts on the back side? Strong enough mounting ? Riding west in the afternoon is getting uncomfortable what with the afternoon breeze.

No nuts or bolts. What looks like hardware is actually the "industrial strength" velcro like product from 3M. It kind of snaps together and I've had no issues at all. I used some clamping pressure to adhere it really well. The windscreen sits about 1/4 inch away from the front brake hose. At speed it rest against the brake hose with no shake or vibration that I've noticed.

I like it because it maintains the stock appearance and feel while providing "just enough" wind relief.
Back to top Go down
SoupSandwich

SoupSandwich

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptyThu May 26, 2011 9:15 am

I really like the look of that, very simple, not too big and bulky and if it provides some relief from the wind then I would say that this might be the route I take. Thanks for the pics and info. thumb
Back to top Go down
Pistonman

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptyThu May 26, 2011 10:59 am

Is it the 1123C ?
Back to top Go down
JayTee

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptyThu May 26, 2011 11:11 am

Pistonman wrote:
Is it the 1123C ?

From Laminar Lip website:

Kawasaki KLR650
1986-2007
$84 plus shipping

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K1123C LIP for KLR650, Clear
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptyThu May 26, 2011 11:14 am

That is the right parts number, yes.

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptyThu May 26, 2011 11:27 am

SheWolf wrote:
That is the right parts number, yes.

You have one?
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptyThu May 26, 2011 12:33 pm

No, I was looking at it earlier (back when I got the bike); that was the number I was given, and it's on the website for that particular windshield . wink

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptyThu May 26, 2011 5:42 pm

Yah, That's what I thought. Just looking for a second review.
Back to top Go down
Boondocker

Boondocker

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptyFri May 27, 2011 5:58 pm

My $5 Harbor Freight Face shield windscreen is better than nothing...about $5 worth.
That Laminar Lip looks lovely, if a bit pricey for something I'm going to scratch up.
I'm trying to figure out how to adapt my old stock V-Strom windscreen. It's tough enough for desert duty and conveniently pre-scratched thumb
My Wee deserves a new windshield. She ain't got nothin' since R¼ moved in cry
Back to top Go down
TBird1

TBird1

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptySat May 28, 2011 11:44 am

Sorry for the tardy reply- I forgot to click the "subscribe" button. baldy Anyway, here are some pics of my R in commuter/tour mode. The rather large Givi top-case is a carry-over from my street bike. I showed some close-ups of the MRA Highway Windscreen mounting for those that might be interested.

[img]what wind screen to get? 1000769o [/img]
[img]what wind screen to get? 1000766g [/img]
[img]what wind screen to get? 1000770f [/img]
[img]what wind screen to get? 1000771e [/img]

This last pic shows the lower mounts I fabbed up to eliminate the windshield buzz at certain speeds/RPMs. To remove the shield, all I have to do is loosen four screws and it's off. Of course, the Givi box comes off at the push of a button. Back to naked!
[img]what wind screen to get? 1000772x [/img]
Back to top Go down
Nanabijou

Nanabijou

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptySat May 28, 2011 5:49 pm

Here is what the Cee Bailey's smoked windscreen made for the WR250R looks like. It is a little better (though considerably more costly) than the Harbor Freight face shield regarding wind protection, and (in my opinion) looks better on the bike. And it clearly isn't as large as some unsightly "shower doors" I've seen on some bikes. The wing-nuts makes it reasonably easy to remove as well.

what wind screen to get? Oabtdg

what wind screen to get? 311w83n

Mike
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptySat May 28, 2011 6:10 pm

Mike, can you post up pics of the mounting area? That screen looks really nice, fits the contours of the bike very well. thumb

Nanabijou

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptySun May 29, 2011 11:17 am

SheWolf wrote:
Mike, can you post up pics of the mounting area? That screen looks really nice, fits the contours of the bike very well. thumb

Hi SheWolf,

Here is what the mounting area looks like. The lower wing-nuts were were a bit more challenging, as the space is tight, but it was still quick and easy to secure.

what wind screen to get? 9qfdxi

And a closer view of the lower wing-nuts.

what wind screen to get? 2zevzpy

Mike

Last edited by Nanabijou on Sun May 29, 2011 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptySun May 29, 2011 11:33 am

Oooh ok so it's not a handlebar mounted setup. Interesting! I wonder if that 3M HD velcro knob/claw stuff would work in lieu of drilling thru the shroud? Maybe the windshield sits too high for that to be effective? :hmmm:

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? EmptySun May 29, 2011 11:56 am

SheWolf wrote:
Oooh ok so it's not a handlebar mounted setup. Interesting! I wonder if that 3M HD velcro knob/claw stuff would work in lieu of drilling thru the shroud? Maybe the windshield sits too high for that to be effective? :hmmm:

It's hard to tell , but it looks like there may be spacers between the shield and the shroud???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what wind screen to get?   what wind screen to get? Empty

Back to top Go down

what wind screen to get?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next