Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Stock front sprocket & noise?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
pelikan

Stock front sprocket & noise? Empty
PostSubject: Stock front sprocket & noise?   Stock front sprocket & noise? EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 6:22 pm

Hello All, I have a 2008 wr250x and after a trip SFO<->PDX mainly on backroads it was time to replace the chain. I also thought, why not play with gearing, so I ordered a Primary Drive XRing Chain & 48 rear sprocket. All is fine, except there is whirrrrring noise, mpst noticeable when engine isn't rev'd....and only when moving. I've checked wheel alignment, rubbing on swingarm, repeat * 10 and I think it comes down to the rubber damper on the front sprocket. Spinning the wheel, a noise comes from there as it seems like the chain is rubbing on the rubber.

Since Im a lazy bastard, has anybody else had this happen? It doesn't look like removing the rubber is easy to remove, and last time I changed a front sprocket I cursed up a storm it was so fun.

Should I just leave it as is, any harm or danger in doing so?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Stock front sprocket & noise?   Stock front sprocket & noise? EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 7:03 pm

Do you mean you wore out the chain but are still using the same front sprocket which has lots of miles on it?
If so, it's time for a new front sprocket.
Back to top Go down
pelikan

PostSubject: Re: Stock front sprocket & noise?   Stock front sprocket & noise? EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 7:08 pm

The chain suffered from lack of lube + dirt & dust on the trip and had one too many tight & in-flexlible spots for me to bother trying to rescue. The sprockets actually look ok wear-wise, but I may just be too cheap for my own good. Front sprocket is like < $20, iirc.
Back to top Go down
pelikan

PostSubject: Re: Stock front sprocket & noise?   Stock front sprocket & noise? EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 5:30 pm

Just to wrap this up, it was the OEM front sprocket w/non-OEM chain. I also bought a breker bar finally and replacing the front sprocket is nowhere near as painful as it was without.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stock front sprocket & noise?   Stock front sprocket & noise? Empty

Back to top Go down

Stock front sprocket & noise?
Page 1 of 1