Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Ultimate Airbox Mod = annoying part throttle noise?

Go down 
+2
MotoKirby
clapped_r6
6 posters
AuthorMessage
clapped_r6

clapped_r6

Ultimate Airbox Mod = annoying part throttle noise? Empty
PostSubject: Ultimate Airbox Mod = annoying part throttle noise?   Ultimate Airbox Mod = annoying part throttle noise? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 5:32 pm

i did the "UAM" from HighFive on ADV,
just got back from a 1500 mile trip and there were plenty of annoying intake noises!

just wondering if anyone else has noticed that, under WFO and decel it's fine, but a steady part throttle 65-75 (real, not indicated) there is a noticable metallic noise from the intake that gets old after a few days!

if so, has anyone done anything to quiet it up a bit?

tia,
Back to top Go down
MotoKirby

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Airbox Mod = annoying part throttle noise?   Ultimate Airbox Mod = annoying part throttle noise? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:22 pm

Go back to stock if you don't like the noise. Or use ear plugs and turn up the IPOD.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Airbox Mod = annoying part throttle noise?   Ultimate Airbox Mod = annoying part throttle noise? EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 8:47 am

Going back to stock isn't really an option after that mod. I did the same thing. There is additional intake noise but it doesn't really bother me. It growls for a split second when I crack the throttle but since I've added the gytr pipe I don't really hear the intake anymore.

On the highway I generally wear noise isolating ear buds, so don't here it there either. To those "that's not safe folks", I can still hear the tire noise from cars beside me so I know I'll hear horns and locked brakes.

*edit* corrected spelling of hear... it's too early in the morning.
Back to top Go down
Monkeynuts

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Airbox Mod = annoying part throttle noise?   Ultimate Airbox Mod = annoying part throttle noise? EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 2:14 pm

I had lots of extra noise, I just put some sound deadening foam on all of the flat surfaces inside of the air box. Worked a treat.
Think it was 12mm foam thumb
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Airbox Mod = annoying part throttle noise?   Ultimate Airbox Mod = annoying part throttle noise? EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 5:07 pm

I run a powercore4. My air box is completely gutted of inards...and would be easy to put back to stock...anywho.
I can only hear the intake at a sweet spot, before wot, over the muffler.
I feel it was noisier stock, with the door off the box...but just guessing.
With a quieter muffler you may notice more.
Heck, my skidplate added more, obscene, noises than anything else.
Back to top Go down
clapped_r6

clapped_r6

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Airbox Mod = annoying part throttle noise?   Ultimate Airbox Mod = annoying part throttle noise? EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 2:01 pm

it was the skidplate. weird resonances and stuff.
will try some spray on bedliner or something to quiet it down!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Airbox Mod = annoying part throttle noise?   Ultimate Airbox Mod = annoying part throttle noise? EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 11:07 am

Regarding the noise coming back from the skid plate, I measured dB before and after the skid plate got dynamat'd and it was about 10dB.

My tool used to measure was a SUPER SCIENTIFIC DECIMETER found in my iPhone app. So take it as my 2 cents..
Back to top Go down
thumpergirl

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Airbox Mod = annoying part throttle noise?   Ultimate Airbox Mod = annoying part throttle noise? EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 6:58 pm

old thread, but in case anyone ever reads it...

i ziptied a bike inner tube around the frame before putting the skid plate on, gets rid of all noise.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Airbox Mod = annoying part throttle noise?   Ultimate Airbox Mod = annoying part throttle noise? Empty

Back to top Go down

Ultimate Airbox Mod = annoying part throttle noise?
Page 1 of 1