Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New WRR rider from Southern California

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Falcontech

New WRR rider from Southern California Empty
PostSubject: New WRR rider from Southern California   New WRR rider from Southern California EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 7:21 pm

Hello All:

I picked up my WRR yesterday from a local dealer. I intend to use it for primary transportation and trail riding around Big Bear Lake, CA, weather permitting. I have been riding on and off road for approximately 42 years. I have mostly owned either street bikes or dirt bikes. My only dual sport bike was a 1992 Honda XL250 which was extremely disappointing after owning a CanAm 250 MX6 modified for desert use. The Honda was heavy and underpowered; the street legal dual purpose tires of that time were worthless in the dirt.

I am hoping that the WRR will be a lot better than the Honda, given that the Yamaha is twenty years more advanced. My only concern, so far, was the height of the bike. I have a 29 inch inseam, and it was almost impossible for me to sit on the bike in the showroom. I bought it with the promise from the dealer that he would lower it as much as possible. When I picked up the bike, it was noticeably lower, about an inch and a half. This made it possible for me to get aboard and ride it, but I am still higher than I feel comfortable with. I plan on modifying the seat to gain another inch of clearance.

My previous bike was an 09 Concours 14, which I commuted to work on for two years.
Back to top Go down
Falcontech

PostSubject: Re: New WRR rider from Southern California   New WRR rider from Southern California EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 10:43 pm

Falcontech wrote:
Hello All:

I picked up my WRR yesterday from a local dealer. I intend to use it for primary transportation and trail riding around Big Bear Lake, CA, weather permitting. I have been riding on and off road for approximately 42 years. I have mostly owned either street bikes or dirt bikes. My only dual sport bike was a 1992 Honda XL250 which was extremely disappointing after owning a CanAm 250 MX6 modified for desert use. The Honda was heavy and underpowered; the street legal dual purpose tires of that time were worthless in the dirt.

I am hoping that the WRR will be a lot better than the Honda, given that the Yamaha is twenty years more advanced. My only concern, so far, was the height of the bike. I have a 29 inch inseam, and it was almost impossible for me to sit on the bike in the showroom. I bought it with the promise from the dealer that he would lower it as much as possible. When I picked up the bike, it was noticeably lower, about an inch and a half. This made it possible for me to get aboard and ride it, but I am still higher than I feel comfortable with. I plan on modifying the seat to gain another inch of clearance.

My previous bike was an 09 Concours 14, which I commuted to work on for two years.

I just got back from a 25 mile familiarization ride. I probably won't need to do anything more on lowering, unless I have problems riding off road. I can touch the ground well enough to manage. For my short legs, it is flat foot on one side leaned over a bit or tippy toe with feet down on both sides.

This bike felt like a hypersonic bicycle. Very light, very manueverable , good acceleration with the six speed. I am going to try it out on my 15 mile interstate commute to work. Lack of a windshield should help me stick to legal speeds. I am quite pleased with myself for buying this bike. Very happy
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: New WRR rider from Southern California   New WRR rider from Southern California EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 10:44 pm

FT: Welcome... I had that same Honda. ...until I got roosted by a moped.

Having had streetbikes you won't be remarkably impressed; Such is the assessment of a dual-sport. None of them really do either street or dirt remarkably well.

However I, like many here, expect your appreciation for the more subtle aspects of the machine's versatility.

Primarily, if you can do it (on dirt), it probably can too.

You won't need to baby sit it and spend your W/Es working on it. Get on and ride.

Make it fit your need. We all seem to do something a little different for whatever reason.

The grin factor can't be beat at any cost.

You'll LOVE it out in the open desert with the suspension set-up and some good shoes on it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New WRR rider from Southern California   New WRR rider from Southern California Empty

Back to top Go down

New WRR rider from Southern California
Page 1 of 1