Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Speedo Issue

Go down 
+2
YZEtc
IAmABug
6 posters
AuthorMessage
IAmABug

Speedo Issue Empty
PostSubject: Speedo Issue   Speedo Issue EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 8:33 pm

I just put a 12t on the front and will be doing a 47t on the back. My speedo currently reads about 101kph and the GPS reads 80kph. Has anyone figured out a way to adjust the speedo so it reads correctly???
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

Speedo Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedo Issue   Speedo Issue EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 9:35 pm

You need a little gizmo that corrects the speedometer reading since the speedometer pickup is off the transmission input shaft:

http://www.12oclocklabs.com/
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

Speedo Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedo Issue   Speedo Issue EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 10:40 am

I just order this little device this morning from 12oclock labs. Looking forward to see it in action. Thx for the link. It will be handy being able to correct the speedo on demand. The odo is more what I am concerned about. The odo is about 17% out which means at 10k is will only have gone 8k. Hard to maintain the maintenance schedule.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Speedo Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedo Issue   Speedo Issue EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 10:52 am

The 12o'clocklabs device will either help you correct speedometer or odometer, but not both.

Up to you to decide which is more important.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

Speedo Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedo Issue   Speedo Issue EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 10:54 am

Huh?

When I installed mine both the odo and speedo were spot on.

The odo feeds off the same input as the speedo, so the 12oclock lab device fixes both.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Speedo Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedo Issue   Speedo Issue EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 11:07 am

GusinCA wrote:
Huh?

When I installed mine both the odo and speedo were spot on.

The odo feeds off the same input as the speedo, so the 12oclock lab device fixes both.

How different is your gearing?

The stock speedo from Yamaha is 7% off. The odometer is correct.

As you move farther away from stock gearing you must correct speed more which then throws your odometer off.

If you only went a small change from stock with your gearing you might still be damn close with the odometer.

But the reality is you can't have both the speedometer and odometer be correct with the 12o'clocklabs device.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Speedo Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedo Issue   Speedo Issue EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 11:15 am

click me <-- confirmed here by the guy who makes these things.

You have to scroll down page a bit to find it...but it's there.

I am much more concerned about speeding tickets than having my odometer off by a bit, and my odometer is off.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

Speedo Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedo Issue   Speedo Issue EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 11:58 am

Ah, I see what you mean.

My point was that the lab device affects both by the same sensor.

Mine is very accurate, compared to a GPS, in both speed and odo. Mine is a 2010, not sure if it matters. Maybe they made an adjustment some year.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

Speedo Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedo Issue   Speedo Issue EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 12:18 pm

Odo and speedo seem to be off around 18% each. Going for a ride today and will confirm the outages of both.
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

Speedo Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedo Issue   Speedo Issue EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 2:08 pm

My bike is stock, including the tires.

My speedo is off by 10%.
My odo is off by 3.5%.
They both read higher than reality.
GPS-verified and averaged over about 2,000 km.

Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

Speedo Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedo Issue   Speedo Issue EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 4:43 pm

I wonder why that is, it should be simple to get a digital system to be accurate?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Speedo Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedo Issue   Speedo Issue EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 4:49 pm

GusinCA wrote:
I wonder why that is, it should be simple to get a digital system to be accurate?

Thank Yamaha.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

Speedo Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedo Issue   Speedo Issue EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 4:58 pm

GusinCA wrote:

Might be a bike thing. Virtually all of the cars and trucks in my family in at least the past 20 years have had pretty accurate speedos. Every bike I've ever had, from at least 7 different manufacturers, has had a speedo that reads too high. I think the WR250R is the worst of the lot.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

Speedo Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedo Issue   Speedo Issue EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 4:04 pm

I have the 12 o'clock labs thing, and I've given up on it. Not because it doesn't work (it works exactly as advertised), but because I was constantly dicking with it as the tires wear. I didn't think wear would make a difference, but it does - how much possibly dependant on what you're running. I had it set for speedo accuracy, and maybe I was just too demanding on how accurate I wanted the readout.

Right now I'm running 14/49 with 120/80-18. Wheel circumference can differ from manufacturer to manufacturer even with the same size label, of course.

So with this new Heidenau on the back, speed is about 7% lower than indicated, and odo is off by maybe a mile every 100 miles or so - not enough to worry about. Those aren't the stock Yamaha readouts, that's from the speedo device at it's last settings.

I'm at the point where I know the correct speedo readings to be at or near the legal speed limits in towns - other than that I don't worry about it. And the odo is accurate enough that I have a pretty good idea of how much range I have left. Throw in the fact that when I'm going anywhere that speed/distance will matter the GPS is usually onboard, and the Yamaha speedo/odo accuracy is not really much of an issue for me.

I think the device is well worth what he charges; I've just gotten to know my bikes speeds and range well enough that I don't bother adjusting it anymore (of course, you can argue that it's still correcting my bike to readouts that suit me best if you like).

Don't forget that the barely-used second mode on your bike allows you to correct the odometer... I was screwing around with it trying to figure it out, randomly pushing buttons, and managed to reset my odometer to "o" while doing it. Don't even remember what combination of buttons I was pushing at the time. Not sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing. Probably a bad thing, especially when I can't see selling the bike anytime in the foreseeable future.
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

Speedo Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedo Issue   Speedo Issue EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 11:08 pm

I am running 12/47. Speedo out 23.4%. Plugged that in to the SpeedoDRD and it's within a few KPH now. Super easy to install 10mins maybe. I am the same that in the bush and trips in a run a GPS but this way I can rip around town and not worry about a ticket.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Speedo Issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedo Issue   Speedo Issue Empty

Back to top Go down

Speedo Issue
Page 1 of 1