Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Salty roads for the poor wr... how much damage??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bigg

bigg

Salty roads for the poor wr... how much damage?? Empty
PostSubject: Salty roads for the poor wr... how much damage??   Salty roads for the poor wr... how much damage?? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 12:22 pm

So this will be my (and the wr's) first cold winter. (having moved from a warmer place)

question:

I know the winters here can be blistering cold and I expect a lot of salt to be thrown on the roads. Having said that, i'll try to avoid such times (as in, when its fresh snow and salt just being thrown that day) but since I use it for my daily commute it wont be easy.

Thankfully the winter is supposed to be quite sunny and nice so I'm already looking forward to the fun times in the snowy alps thumb

Anyway, how much possible damage am I exposing the bike to by riding on salty roads? What can I do to prevent possible rust?? Im gonna feel bad for my poor love if it starts to rust. Maybe a quick wash every night with fresh water??

Or am I worrying too much? any guys with experience on this?
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: Salty roads for the poor wr... how much damage??   Salty roads for the poor wr... how much damage?? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 5:48 pm

The fresh water rinse would definitely help but long term, road salt is going to do some damage. It eventually gets into everything.
Back to top Go down
railbird

railbird

PostSubject: Re: Salty roads for the poor wr... how much damage??   Salty roads for the poor wr... how much damage?? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 6:35 pm

Wash often and use lots of S100 Corrosion Protectant anywhere steel touches aluminum.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Salty roads for the poor wr... how much damage??   Salty roads for the poor wr... how much damage?? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 7:35 am

Been there, done that.
Not on a WR-250R, but on my XT-200J dual-purpose bike in the olden days.

You can count on some corrosion if you ride the bike during the winter, especially if you do it a lot.
Typical areas of corrosion:

Drive chain.
Rear wheel spokes.
Rear shock linkage.
Swingarm pivot.
Frame front down tube.
Front of engine crankcase.
Front of cylinder head and cylinder.
Mounting bolts and studs for exhaust head pipe.
Exhaust head pipe.
Exhaust muffler.
Horn.
And, eventually, electrical connections if it's done long enough.

As said, washing the bike well after each ride and finishing the job with a lubricating spray at the trouble spots will help a lot, but I'd be surprised if you don't finish the winter without some traces of corrosion.
If it's your only wheels, I wouldn't be paranoid, but I would expect to do a lot of bike washing and lubricating.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Salty roads for the poor wr... how much damage??   Salty roads for the poor wr... how much damage?? EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 12:09 pm

YZEtc wrote:
Been there, done that.

Typical areas of corrosion:

Drive chain.
Rear wheel spokes.
Rear shock linkage.
Swingarm pivot.
Frame front down tube.
Front of engine crankcase.
Front of cylinder head and cylinder.
Mounting bolts and studs for exhaust head pipe.
Exhaust head pipe.
Exhaust muffler.
Horn.
And, eventually, electrical connections if it's done long enough.

That sounds pretty scary. Correct me if I'm wrong but the dangerous stuff is the salt/water slushee that is formed from throwing the salt right?

So if I avoid that I should be fine?

A clean/dry road with piles of snow lying on the side or driving through clean (unsalted) snow in the mountains causes no damage correct?
Back to top Go down
TheBackRoads

PostSubject: Re: Salty roads for the poor wr... how much damage??   Salty roads for the poor wr... how much damage?? EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 1:43 pm

Quote :
A clean/dry road with piles of snow lying on the side or driving through clean (unsalted) snow in the mountains causes no damage correct?

Right, that would be fine. However if you live in an area like I do, it can be cold, sunny and white roads from salt. baldy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Salty roads for the poor wr... how much damage??   Salty roads for the poor wr... how much damage?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Salty roads for the poor wr... how much damage??
Page 1 of 1