Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

RK X-Ring chain install

Go down 
+2
greer
RattTongue
6 posters
AuthorMessage
RattTongue

RK X-Ring chain install Empty
PostSubject: RK X-Ring chain install   RK X-Ring chain install EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 8:54 pm

I have an RK X-Ring chain with the clip type master link. How do I go about getting the side plate on correctly w/o damaging the chain? The instructions indicate I need a press fit tool to get the side plate on. Is this the only correct way to do it?
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: RK X-Ring chain install   RK X-Ring chain install EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 6:20 am

Set the plate on the pins, put a small socket or nut over the pin and squeeze with a pair of pliers. Go at it easy and alternate from pin to pin a little at a time. Long handle slip joint pliers work best for me, don't have to squeeze so hard.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
RattTongue

PostSubject: Re: RK X-Ring chain install   RK X-Ring chain install EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 11:35 am

Thanks will give it a try.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: RK X-Ring chain install   RK X-Ring chain install EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 1:38 am

Northern makes a tool to press it on with for pretty cheap. $6,7, ??
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: RK X-Ring chain install   RK X-Ring chain install EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 9:57 am

I use a 2" c-clamp and a 7mm socket. Works every time.
Back to top Go down
TwilightZone

PostSubject: Re: RK X-Ring chain install   RK X-Ring chain install EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 12:38 pm

Pull a couple side links off the defunct chain. Use a high-speed drill to enlarge the ports.
Then use a c clamp (or whatever) to use them as push plates. Might carry one in your toolkit.
Back to top Go down
yaw

PostSubject: I second very small c clamp and two side links   RK X-Ring chain install EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 11:01 pm

Twilightzone I was going to write up your solution but you beat me to it. I ordered a motion pro mini press tool but it didn't allow me to fully press on the side plate. I think it might be defective since the grooves that go over the pins were not deep enough. Besides that little tool is heavy! I improvised the same solution you used except I just used the one plate off the chain I just removed. The holes slid over the pins without drilling. Seated one pin at a time. Worked great. So I'm going to carry a 1" C-clamp and that one link with me from now on. Works and is much lighter than the Mimi press tool. Saved a few bucks as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RK X-Ring chain install   RK X-Ring chain install Empty

Back to top Go down

RK X-Ring chain install
Page 1 of 1