Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?

Go down 
+26
4play
trevorb
Prairieparson
bmdtech
silentwolf
Dryer
Biglake
nwrider
sswrx
RichardU
pbnut
ejfranz1
Niewski11
CaptainPwnage
bobbytohn
Arkmage
deerHater
skidmarx
BuilderBob
millert85
ramz
motokid
Jäger
oic0
trav72
BoredAzHell20
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Dryer

Dryer

Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 10:02 am

Thanks for the reference but that is the exact thread that gave me the confidence to think I could handle the install. If our geography was remotely closer it would be great to knock them out together, but things are never that easy it seems.

Coming from solely an programmer it should be a very noticeable change for you, Im about out of engine mods so the bb is the nearly the only thing left that appears worthwhile.
Back to top Go down
silentwolf

silentwolf

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 8:06 pm

I just hunted down this thread again after coming across this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181065410551?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

So the question here, is that a sleeve that need to be installed?

Tempted. :hmmm:
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 8:38 pm

silentwolf wrote:

I just hunted down this thread again after coming across this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181065410551?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

So the question here, is that a sleeve that need to be installed?

Tempted. :hmmm:

You're right. It's a sleeve that must be pressed into your stock cylinder after it is bored.

I have one of TR's 280 kits waiting for me to conjure up enough motivation to install it. It uses the same sleeved cylinder and piston, but it's installed on the stock crank.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 5:55 am

Thanks for the link! It is mine now!!!

Now I really can't wait to get home to install it.

It comes with a programmer I don't need though, so keep your eyes on the For Sale section in May if you're looking for one on the cheap.
Back to top Go down
silentwolf

silentwolf

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 7:43 am

pbnut wrote:
Thanks for the link! It is mine now!!!

Now I really can't wait to get home to install it.

It comes with a programmer I don't need though, so keep your eyes on the For Sale section in May if you're looking for one on the cheap.

I've actually been thinking about the EJK programmer.

I'll send a PM
Back to top Go down
bmdtech

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 6:39 pm

They still don't have the kit listed on the webpage. I have called them and left VM for call back. Is this kit just vapor ware at this point?? Or have they installed and tested this system?
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 6:56 pm

I hate to say it, but unknown.

I bought my kit off of eBay rather than from Thumper directly. To my knowledge there has not been a confirmed install/ride report documented online. There was a guy over at Supermotojunkie.com who was getting the kit installed. The shop hired for some of the work botched the job repeatedly. I think he had it running at one point but he ran into issues with coolant leaks from faulty installation, etc. etc. That was pretty much the last update from that guy. You can follow along here.

If you can stand to wait a while longer I'm going to be the guinea pig for this forum. I got home from deployment mid April, broke my foot 4 days later, and have been pretty much useless ever since. I'm also going on vacation here for a month, so there's another delay. I'm just going to ride it as is until the winter months and then break it down. (AZ winter; I know. It's still cold at night when I work!)
Back to top Go down
nwrider

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 7:54 am

pbnut,

I'll be looking forward to your experience with the TR kit installation. I was going to tackle mine this year but didn't get around to it. Mine still has less than 3k miles on it so there's no rush as far as the engine's concerned. I've had to recalibrate my riding by just wringing the WR's neck compared to the XR.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 8:03 pm

I should update then.

I bought an Athena cylinder. As it turned out it was a stock bore (77mm) and not the 83mm required. I've returned it to Athena, but wouldn't you know it they're out of stock on the 83mm bores...

I decided I didn't want to mess with re-sleeving, especially when a correctly sized cylinder made to original specs already exists (at least when in stock...).
Back to top Go down
Prairieparson

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 5:38 pm

My WRR is bone stock except for the seat, skid plate, windshield and saddlebags. I wouldn't think of changing the motor. That engine is just amazing to me. I love it.
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 11:48 pm

Thought I'd post some notes I had jotted down before throwing them away.

Stock bore: 77 mm

Athena bore: 83 mm

Athena piston weight: .4812 lbs or 7.69 oz.

Thumper Racing CP 3 ring piston: .4645 lbs or 7.43 oz

Back to top Go down
trevorb

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 4:57 pm

pbnut wrote:
Thought I'd post some notes I had jotted down before throwing them away.

Stock bore: 77 mm

Athena bore: 83 mm

Athena piston weight: .4812 lbs or 7.69 oz.

Thumper Racing CP 3 ring piston: .4645 lbs or 7.43 oz

Have you had this installed yet?

Also, has anyone seen a dyno on the 310 kit yet? I see one for sale on ebay but it doesn't give any gains info.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 5:31 pm

I bought his kit & I'm assembling a spare engine with it. It works out to 306cc's
Here is a dyno sheet that was posted by Eddie Cisneros with numbers I believe are realistic.
This is the Hotrods stroker crank with an Athena kit which is also 306cc's

I had him port my head, my spare cylinder is at Thumper having the sleeve installed & honed to size now.
With cams, they've hit 40HP. I'm more interested in grunt, so I don't plan a cam change at this time.

here is a dyno graph of the progress so far.

run 3 is how our test mule arrived to us. full fmf power core 4 system with power bomb head pipe
run 11 is power commander 5 added,tuned with air box door off.
run 32 is kn filter added and pc5 fueling corrected
run 55 is +6mm bore,+3mm stroke,SSW head with the pc5 corrected and the same pipe

Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 Wr250x4
Back to top Go down
slvdirtrider

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 8:31 pm

Thanks for getting me all excited. I have my 306 engine complete. Its back in the frame. I have the new forks installed and the rear shock on. Tonight I am going to try and get the rest of my winter project going for the summer. I am going to post pictures of my build after I get done.

4play wrote:
I bought his kit & I'm assembling a spare engine with it. It works out to 306cc's
Here is a dyno sheet that was posted by Eddie Cisneros with numbers I believe are realistic.

I had him port my head, my spare cylinder is at Thumper having the sleeve installed & honed to size now.
With cams, they've hit 40HP. I'm more interested in grunt, so I don't plan a cam change at this time.

run 3 is how our test mule arrived to us. full fmf power core 4 system with power bomb head pipe
run 55 is +6mm bore,+3mm stroke,SSW head with the pc5 corrected and the same pipe

Back to top Go down
trevorb

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 9:07 am

4play wrote:

That looks like a 50% increase in power from stock. That has to feel like a completely new beast! Thanks for sharing the info.
Back to top Go down
slvdirtrider

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 06, 2014 1:00 pm

trevorb wrote:
4play wrote:

That looks like a 50% increase in power from stock.  That has to feel like a completely new beast!  Thanks for sharing the info.

I fired up the 306 last night. it sound great it has the pop of a 450. I will get the rest of it bike assembled tonight and take it for a ride on Saturday. Dang I am excited..... :)
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 9:45 am

Well?
Back to top Go down
slvdirtrider

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 10:56 am

The new 306 is Bad Ass. Remember I live at 8000 FT. Roll On the throttle and up come the front wheel. It sounds like a 450 and runs like a 350 ktm...this is not your average Wrr it is striped of anything that wound have been street legal. The bike has lost over 40lbs and has YZ front forks and triple crown, the rear shock has been rebuild and revalved by Go-race. Front forks are Also build by Go-race.I ported the head also. Wish I had an other engine I know how I would do it next time for even more power. Yep I thank I am going to like it....
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptyThu May 15, 2014 6:00 pm

I fired mine up this morning & made the block. It felt a little lean so I plugged it back in the computer & the auto tune was not working. I had not had it switched on for a while & had not noticed the blank plug on the PCV had left the building. I'll have another one here tomorrow so I can safely break it in & tune. Meanwhile I bumped the 0 fuel 15% which put it ~12.8 AFR at idle & bumped the rest of the tables 20% & took it for another spin. It's just as quiet & smooth as it was stock. I'm going to wait on the auto tune and an hour or so of run time before I flog it but my best description of an easy neighbor hood joy ride is the low midrange easily pulls harder in 4th than it did in 3rd as a 250.
I was starting to wonder why I was going to the expense & trouble of swapping out my perfectly good stock 4880 mile engine. I'm no longer wondering  wings 
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptyFri May 16, 2014 10:51 pm

I got the plug for the PCV & was able to ride for ~30 miles of mixed city & few short hwy blast, so I could open it up through the gears on the on ramps. I did get wide open briefly in 4th & 5th
I wound up at 12 in the zero tables & my guess of 20 in the rest was pretty close. It cut back to as low as 9 & added up to 9 to my 20 base. I have the AFR tables set to target 13.2 in all 6 gears for break in, I'll start backing off the fuel in the cruise ranges after tomorrow's ride.
At 65mph it's just as smooth as it was but is not working as hard. 14/49 gearing suddenly seems silly, it would easily pull a taller gear.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptySat May 17, 2014 11:56 pm

I'm very, very pleased with the 306 package. No downside what so ever.
Made a very fun bike an absolute hoot. With 14/49 gearing I believe it would loop in 1st, throttles up the front wheel in second very quickly. Midrange power is about what peak pwr was as a 250, that was most evident in the sand washes, it just goes, not working nearly as hard in deep sand as before.
Back to top Go down
ezrdr55

ezrdr55

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptyMon May 19, 2014 8:22 am

4play wrote:
Made a very fun bike an absolute hoot. With 14/49 gearing I believe it would loop in 1st, throttles up the front wheel in second very quickly. Midrange power is about what peak pwr was as a 250, that was most evident in the sand washes, it just goes, not working nearly as hard in deep sand as before.

Have you had a chance to check your gas mileage?
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptyMon May 19, 2014 9:18 am

ezrdr55 wrote:
4play wrote:

I don't commute on the bike so I don't have too many opportunities to do economy runs but I don't expect much of a change unless I'm flogging it using all the additional power.

I had the AFR set at a safe 13.2 for the initial rides & with three hrs running time I only covered 65 miles, 30 of that was single track & sand wash. Running 7psi in the rear tire & 11 in the front. Not exactly optimal fuel mileage conditions.
It took 1.1 Gallons to top it off so that's in the high 50's for a break in/trail ride. With just one gallon burned the margin for error is huge so I'll let you know after a few more rides.

My last project bike was a KTM450XC that was bored & stroked to 600cc. The fuel economy on it was actually better unless I was enjoying all of the power it made. It consistently took less fuel than the 450's I rode with because I didn't have to rev it as much as they did.
 Other than the affect of the tuning & engine efficiency fuel consumption correlates directly to how much HP you use. The bigger engine can often pull a gear higher so ridden the same speed the bigger engine might sometimes get better economy, ridden harder using the additional HP it's going to burn more.
Back to top Go down
CaptainPwnage

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 11, 2014 2:52 am

This is really interesting, I think when I have a lot of kms/miles on mine then I might rebuild it with this kit. Hopefully it will still be available.
Back to top Go down
4play

4play

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 16, 2014 9:55 am

ezrdr55 wrote:
4play wrote:

Just over 1000 miles on it now. Trail riding fuel economy has not really changed. I did 164 mile loop yesterday riding 4000-7000' elevation the first 90 miles I was riding for fun, not for mileage thinking we'd get fuel at Lake Mormon. They only had regular fuel so I elected to run the return route on what was left in my 3.1 gallon tank & rode with the front wheel on the ground more.
It took 2.7 gallons to top it off, so that's ~61mpg which is very acceptable for the type of riding we were doing.

The engine is making more power at lower RPM's so I don't need to downshift or rev the engine nearly as much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?   Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Thumper Racing is developing a 310/320 kit?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next