Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

2008 WR250R Neutral Indicator Light Always On

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
daggone928

2008 WR250R Neutral Indicator Light Always On Empty
PostSubject: 2008 WR250R Neutral Indicator Light Always On   2008 WR250R Neutral Indicator Light Always On EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 8:00 pm

2008 WR250R with 1400 miles. I hope I'm not the only person who finds this interesting!
1) For the last week (discovered one 25C morning) the bike doesn't start. Spins, no start. Has spark. The fuel pump is silent. Big woops, the pump died. Shocking, I know.
2) I take the pump out and completely dis-assemble down to the actual pump unit. About 8 cm long, 2 cm in diameter. No numbers, no nothing. Except, clearly legible "Made in China". Lovely, thank you Yamaha for keeping costs low. I'm going to grind off the encapsulation end and get down to the actual pump and see what failed inside. Just for fun. And I really want to find an alternative (almost certainly better) pump for something less than $200 bucks. Plus I may be able to find one with variable fuel pump pressure so I can enrichen the mixture a bit to take advantage of some planned modifications down the road.
3) Put in a spare pump, the bike starts right up. Yeah. All lights, all everything works. Put on the gear, pull in the clutch, shift into first - the bike dies and I can hear the fuel pump shut off. Check neutral switch - continuity to ground when in neutral, open when out of neutral. It's OK. Check 5 or 50 times - every time the gear shift moved out of neutral the bike dies.
4) Noodling about, I decide that the "Relay Unit" that collects input from the neutral switch, kick stand switch and clutch switch should be swapped with a spare that I have (unknown if it is good, looks good!). Super results - sort of. The bike starts and, hold on, doesn't die when shifted from neutral to first. Head off on a round the block ride of 6 miles (it's a big block). All is good except, the neutral indicator light now stays on 100% of the time - as in when the key is turned on that indicator light is on no matter what.

Any words of wisdom? This is my first post here I think, so feel free to ream away!
Cheers!

Nov2: A bit more info. Neutral switch OK. Wiring from switch (Sb) to relay unit OK. Lg wire from relay unit to indicator light plug OK, no shorts to ground and not open. Severing Lg wire at relay unit connector and connecting neutral switch Sb wire directly to Lg wire removed from console plug results in N indicator light working perfectly - but throws a ER-1 error code - this surprised the hell out of me - according the the Yamaha wiring diagram this should not be the case. Reconnecting severed Lg wire at relay unit results in N lights always on and removal of ER-1 error code. Unplugging the Sb neutral connector results in no change - the N indicator light is always on. It seems the relay unit is pulling the Lg wire output to ground (resulting in N indicator light always being on) regardless of where the neutral switch is located (1-N-2-3-4-5-6 all equal N light on). Depressingly the bike will turn the starter motor in gear (NOT OK), in gear with the clutch pulled (OK), in neutral (OK). My two take-aways at this point: 1) the relay unit I pray is hosed ($40 replacement) and not the console unit or ECU 2) who would have thought disconnecting the neutral Sb connector would throw a ER-1 error code.

Question: Anyone notice any errors on the Yamaha wiring diagram for these machines? Maybe I should back up - is the wiring schematic different between 2008/9/10/11 or is the WRR and WRX wiring schematic different?
Back to top Go down
daggone928

PostSubject: New relay unit corrected the problem   2008 WR250R Neutral Indicator Light Always On EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 11:36 am

Plugged in a new relay unit and the problem with the neutral light always being on has been corrected.
Back to top Go down
cheer199

cheer199

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Neutral Indicator Light Always On   2008 WR250R Neutral Indicator Light Always On EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Had same problem, some diodes in the relay unit blow away (one for the neutral light and the other is for the clutch switch, just replace the diodes (if youre in Argentina), or buy new relay unit (if youre in USA) xD

2008 WR250R Neutral Indicator Light Always On <a href=2008 WR250R Neutral Indicator Light Always On Specs10" />
Back to top Go down
MadMonkey420

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Neutral Indicator Light Always On   2008 WR250R Neutral Indicator Light Always On EmptyWed Jul 27, 2016 3:55 am

Do any of you have the part number as I think I have the same problem?!?!
Back to top Go down
wwguy

wwguy

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Neutral Indicator Light Always On   2008 WR250R Neutral Indicator Light Always On EmptyWed Jul 27, 2016 10:50 am

MadMonkey420 wrote:
Do any of you have the part number as I think I have the same problem?!?!

The part number should be on the relay, but I think this is probably the one you're looking for.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2008 WR250R Neutral Indicator Light Always On   2008 WR250R Neutral Indicator Light Always On Empty

Back to top Go down

2008 WR250R Neutral Indicator Light Always On
Page 1 of 1