Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

No Neutral Light :(

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
oic0

oic0

No Neutral Light :( Empty
PostSubject: No Neutral Light :(   No Neutral Light :( EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 11:38 am

So... where is whatever mechanism tells the bike its in neutral? It stopped a day or so after an off road ride. Sounds minor but means I can't start the bike and let it warm up before I leave in the mornings. No water crossings, very little mud, but a lot of vibration from going fast over rough terrain with stiff suspension (WR250X, not R). Also, would this be covered under warranty? the bike is about as old as my join date.
Back to top Go down
BBRadar

PostSubject: Re: No Neutral Light :(   No Neutral Light :( EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 4:40 pm

So have you lost neutral completely? You could just put it in what you think is neutral and let the clutch out slowly to where it grabs, if it doesn't you win wink
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: No Neutral Light :(   No Neutral Light :( EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 5:38 pm

That works so long as I'm sitting on it, but if you let the clutch out with the kick stand down and the neutral sensor isn't happy the motor gets turned off :(
My normal morning is wake up, stare at the wall until I gain some brain function, get dressed, make sure it isn't raining or the weekend, start the bike, put on gear, leave on a nice warm hesitation free bike Very happy
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: No Neutral Light :(   No Neutral Light :( EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 6:08 pm

Step down on shifter a bunch of times. Then lift up once.

No clutch. Not running. Try to roll bike. If it freely rolls back and forth you're in neutral. thumb
Also - bike won't start in gear.

As for the light itself. Check fuses.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Heoz

PostSubject: Re: No Neutral Light :(   No Neutral Light :( EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 7:10 pm

Sensor is between the gear shift lever and the front sprocket cover.

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2009/WR250R+-+WR25RYL/ELECTRICAL+1/parts.html (#8)
It appears to have short leads - the connector is probably close to the white "skid plate" if your bike is still stock.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: No Neutral Light :(   No Neutral Light :( EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 11:45 pm

Heoz wrote:
Sensor is between the gear shift lever and the front sprocket cover.

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2009/WR250R+-+WR25RYL/ELECTRICAL+1/parts.html (#8)
It appears to have short leads - the connector is probably close to the white "skid plate" if your bike is still stock.

Checked it. Lead torn clean off right were it goes in. Nothing sticking out to solder to :( . How do I trick it into always thinking its in neutral? just start connecting wires till the green light comes on? Its very inconvenient for it to be unable to run with the kickstand down. Seems kinda lame to leave a loose wire dangling down there unprotected. BTW, does this look right? looks like just silicone roughly squirted on the outside of the sensor. No hard cover or anything? I could maybe rip up the silicone and get enough lead to solder to and try to seal it back up.
No Neutral Light :( 20h0nsh

Back to top Go down
Heoz

PostSubject: Re: No Neutral Light :(   No Neutral Light :( EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 5:52 am

Your sensor looks like the one on mine. No hard cover. I'd be hesitant to mess with the existing sensor until I had a replacement in hand. And then I'd probably use the new sensor and keep the old one as a backup if I was able to fix it.

From the schematics, it appears to only have one wire which is grounded when the bike is in neutral. You may be able to just touch that wire to the engine case and get a neutral indication. May have to scratch the case a tiny bit to get a connection though. Or just run a wire from that wire to the battery ground terminal.

Seems you may also be able to just bypass the sidestand sensor. Not that I'd recommend it as I like the safety features.
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: No Neutral Light :(   No Neutral Light :( EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 12:02 pm

Quote :
I'd be hesitant to mess with the existing sensor until I had a replacement in hand. And then I'd probably use the new sensor and keep the old one as a backup if I was able to fix it.
The OP wrote:
Quote :
Lead torn clean off right were it goes in. Nothing sticking out to solder to
His sensor is toast; it doesn't work now and likely can't be fixed. He might just be able to salvage it by removing the sensor from the tranny and carefully peeling away the silicone or other protective layer to find a stub wire to connect to. I'd just pay the $44.85 (at ServiceHonda.com) for a new one and be done with it. No Neutral Light :( 724854
Back to top Go down
Heoz

PostSubject: Re: No Neutral Light :(   No Neutral Light :( EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 6:38 pm

ramz wrote:
His sensor is toast;
My son would have called you Captain Obvious for that statement. I'll refran from doing so. My hesitation had nothing to do with the sensor working/not working as a sensor - more along the lines of it plugging a hole. The bike is rideable as is and it sounds like the OP uses it as a dialy rider. Personally, I'd just ground out the wire and wait on the new part.

BTW... I really like your web site!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No Neutral Light :(   No Neutral Light :( Empty

Back to top Go down

No Neutral Light :(
Page 1 of 1