Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Brake light not working

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Will B

Brake light not working Empty
PostSubject: Brake light not working   Brake light not working EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 12:52 am

Hi all, my brake light seems to be acting up on me. The problem is that the tail light is on but when I hit the front or rear brake nothing changes and the light stays at a constant brightness. This just happened the other day and I was hoping that someone could point me in a direction so I don't have to tear the whole thing apart, I checked the switches but I'm thinking it may be something where they meet up isn't right.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Brake light not working   Brake light not working EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 5:49 am

So, is it always as if it's just a taillight, or is it always as if the brake light is on?

If I understand your writing correctly, there is no brake light working.
I'd check to see that both mechanical brake light switches are being physically moved when the front brake lever and rear brake pedal are moved.

If it's a case of the opposite where the taillight is always extra-bright because the brake light is always on, then look for the opposite:
See if one of the switches is being constantly activated by the front brake lever or rear brake pedal.
The rear brake pedal switch is actually adjustable to set exactly when it activates, and if it's set wrong, it will always be pulled by the brake pedal and constantly activated.
Back to top Go down
Will B

PostSubject: Re: Brake light not working   Brake light not working EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 8:19 pm

OK time for an update. cheers
So apparently after disassembling my whole brake light it would appear that one of the two capacitors(resistor?) was exposed to water and shorted out. I removed it and temporarily wired it back to the single remaining resistor, now does anyone know why there are two and do I need them both or will one be OK? scratch
Back to top Go down
hoppysmart

PostSubject: Re: Brake light not working   Brake light not working EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Hi,

I'm assuming my issue is the same as yours. Upon closer inspection of my taillight, I too noticed one of the resistors heat wrap was worn away and what looked like rust coming from it. Rear light works, but engaging the brake doesn't increase the lights output.

Did you ever figure out a solution besides just taking out the faulty resistor?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Will B

PostSubject: Re: Brake light not working   Brake light not working EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 1:03 am

I just took out one of the resistors and sealed everything back up. Everything worked fine after that.
Back to top Go down
Zoltan

Zoltan

PostSubject: Re: Brake light not working   Brake light not working EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 9:30 pm

Will B wrote:
Hi all, my brake light seems to be acting up on me. The problem is that the tail light is on but when I hit the front or rear brake nothing changes and the light stays at a constant brightness. This just happened the other day and I was hoping that someone could point me in a direction so I don't have to tear the whole thing apart, I checked the switches but I'm thinking it may be something where they meet up isn't right.

Thanks.

I know this is an old post but incase anyone runs into a similar problem, check the brake switches. I had this problem. I assumed the lights being on were just the tail lights, so I was diving deeper than I needed to. I ended up triple checking my rear brake switch and that was the problem...it was stuck on...I had to adjust it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brake light not working   Brake light not working Empty

Back to top Go down

Brake light not working
Page 1 of 1