Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Rear brake barely working

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
oic0

oic0

Rear brake barely working Empty
PostSubject: Rear brake barely working   Rear brake barely working EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 5:51 pm

Changed rear tire. When I got it all back together, the rear brake now barely works. Engine braking now has more effect than pushing it down all the way. I bled it, no air. It is in its groove on the swing arm. I pumped it up a good bit. I'm lost.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Rear brake barely working   Rear brake barely working EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 5:59 pm

Are you sure you got the right spacers on the right sides?

One is different than the other if I recall.

Are you sure you got a brake pad on each side of the rotor?

Did you spread pads apart before you put rear wheel back on?

Just thinking of everything going on there.

Removing and replacing rear wheel would not effect the fluid in the line.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Rear brake barely working   Rear brake barely working EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 7:37 pm

My thoughts too. But since It feels very squishy and super weak I tried it anyway.

I think both pads are on there right. Had one come out of the groove once and put it back in. Then we noticed the whole caliper had come out of its groove and had to take everything apart and do it all again :/
Neither spacer is marked, not even with a part number, but I found an old thread where shewolf said long one on sprocket side, so I took it apart to make sure I had done that, and it was. I'm stumped. Once one hand its okish because the rear brake still brakes some but its impossible to lock it up even in a panic stop, on the other hand I'm scared it might one day decide to work fully and get me hurt. I used to couldnt even push down the pedal more than a couple inches, now it goes way down easy.
Rear brake barely working Kvs4w
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Rear brake barely working   Rear brake barely working EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 8:17 pm

Rear brake barely working Dscn3114

Rear brake barely working Dscn3115

Rear brake barely working Dscn3116

Rear brake barely working Dscn3117

Here's mine.

Can you remove caliper from bike, remove pads, and compress the piston in with a c-clamp then just push brake pedal and see if piston comes back out?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: Rear brake barely working   Rear brake barely working EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 9:00 pm

Your piston is out much further than mine at rest. Hmmm... Mine does push out, just not with as much force as it used to.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Rear brake barely working   Rear brake barely working EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 8:08 am

I think you are having the same issue as me. except I didn't remove the wheel or anything. Just one morning noticed my rear brake was totally useless.
(I'm guessing though it was a gradual process, I just didn't notice until I lost pretty much 60-70% braking performance from the rear. As you say, it is impossible to lock the rear, no matter how hard you push it down. I only manage to lock it if I'm going at 10 km/h and push it with all my force (and I have got a completely used up rear tyre that doesn't have much grip anyway).

Like you I tried bleeding the rear brake with no results. I also removed the pin on which the pads slide and gave it a good lube with wd40 but still no improvement...
Back to top Go down
Fuzzy Wrench

Fuzzy Wrench

PostSubject: Re: Rear brake barely working   Rear brake barely working EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 9:42 pm

when I change brake pads on some bikes, sometimes the pedal's pressure position isn't the same because I compressed the caliper and it didn't go back to the same place...to increase the braking force, I pry (carefully to not damage the caliper piston) the caliper-side brake pad into the disk while applying the brakes hard, you're trying to let the caliper out more...the reverse of pushing the caliper in to put new pads in...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear brake barely working   Rear brake barely working Empty

Back to top Go down

Rear brake barely working
Page 1 of 1