Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Battery or not?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
motodad12000

Battery or not? Empty
PostSubject: Battery or not?   Battery or not? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 9:31 am

I just picked up a 2003 wr250f for 700 bucks at a swap meet. Really good shape, except the motor was blown. After repacing the crank, cylinder and tranny. I was able to get it running, but only while it was on the charger. That includes starting it with the kick.
My question is. Does the battery need to be in the "loop" for it to run? Or do I have another issue?

Thx

Ralph
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Battery or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery or not?   Battery or not? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 10:15 am

This is NOT a wr250f forum.

It's for X's and R's.

You might get your answers faster at some place like Thumpertalk, although a few here have f's.

My experience in the past is a battery has to be hooked up for a bike with a battery to run.
However, dead battery bikes can often be bump started and will run that way.

I have no idea if a kick started bike with a battery can run with no battery at all.
I would think you'd need the battery in the loop.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
deerHater

Battery or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery or not?   Battery or not? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 10:38 am

motokid wrote:
I have no idea if a kick started bike with a battery can run with no battery at all.
My 2-stroke NS400R streetbike currently Very happy runs without a battery. Instead it has a couple of capacitors. The mod was done by the previous owner, a friend who has a masters in electrical engineering and is very, very good at bike wrenching.

And of course the bike is, and always was, kick start only. thumb
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Battery or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery or not?   Battery or not? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 11:49 am

deerHater wrote:
motokid wrote:
My 2-stroke NS400R streetbike currently Very happy runs without a battery. Instead it has a couple of capacitors. The mod was done by the previous owner, a friend who has a masters in electrical engineering and is very, very good at bike wrenching.

But would it run with no battery and no "modifications" made by an electrical engineer?

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Battery or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery or not?   Battery or not? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 11:54 am

Only kick-start bike I every owned was a YSR50.

If I remember correctly I could bump start the bike with a dead battery, but if the battery was removed completely I could not get it to run. As in, the cables for the battery were left just hanging in mid-air.

That was about 25 years ago so my memory might be clouded on that.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motodad12000

Battery or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery or not?   Battery or not? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 12:16 pm

Well, the new battery comes in today. The WR is both kick and electric. the battery in it only hit 11.5v. So thats not helpful. Ive had bikes in the past (old school Honda XL's back in the day) that definately needed a battery in them to run. But currently have a CRF250 and RMZ450 which obviously dont need one. So hopefully the new battery works, and the bike doesnt have a charging problem. Electric start on a 4stroke dirtbike. What'll they think of next!!!
Back to top Go down
deerHater

Battery or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery or not?   Battery or not? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 1:25 pm

motokid wrote:
deerHater wrote:
motokid wrote:

But would it run with no battery and no "modifications" made by an electrical engineer?
I suspect the mod is required, but the electrical engineer is optional.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Battery or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery or not?   Battery or not? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 2:29 pm

motodad12000 wrote:
Well, the new battery comes in today. The WR is both kick and electric. the battery in it only hit 11.5v. So thats not helpful. Ive had bikes in the past (old school Honda XL's back in the day) that definately needed a battery in them to run. But currently have a CRF250 and RMZ450 which obviously dont need one. So hopefully the new battery works, and the bike doesnt have a charging problem. Electric start on a 4stroke dirtbike. What'll they think of next!!!

If you've got a battery in the F pulling 11.5v, and you can't get it started using the kick starter, I'm going to go out on a limb and say a new battery won't solve your problems.

Just a guess.

I thought you were asking about trying to start bike with no battery in it at all.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Battery or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery or not?   Battery or not? Empty

Back to top Go down

Battery or not?
Page 1 of 1