Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Delta_T

Delta_T

Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas?   Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas? EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 7:30 pm

Some time ago my friend took me to some old guy who was totally into Yamaha. A real 'connoisseur', he had lots of stuff laying around, antique outboards, snowmobiles, engines, parts etc.. He was working on his Yamaha lawn tractor (!) and uses a Yamaha golf cart as daily transport.
A very knowledgeable man, and a pleasure to visit.
This motorcycle was in one of his sheds.

Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas? Yami

It was in pretty good shape, built in 1964 and apparantly in running condition. I took a picture and thought I would forget it, but I can't. I am totally fascinated by it and I would actually like to buy it although I don't even know if he is willing to sell.

I think it'a a YA6, but I am not sure. It is a two stroke, with an autolube system (separate tank for the oil) and electric start if I recall correctly.

Do you have any idea?
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas?   Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas? EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 10:06 pm

That would take me back... One of the first REAL bikes I ever rode.

Looks to be in GREAT shape and all original !

I'd jump on it. Immediately.

What else is in the shed ? droooool
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas?   Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas? EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 10:17 pm

Quick searches...

http://classic-motorbikes.net/images/gallery/1967_yamaha_ya6.jpg

http://classic-motorbikes.net/gallery~yamaha-ya6-gallery

Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas? 1967_yamaha_ya6
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas?   Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas? EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 11:09 pm

X-Racer wrote:

What else is in the shed ? droooool
Man, I couldn't believe my eyes. He has a couple of sheds, all packed with stuff. His house is at a lake so he has a lot of marine things. More outboards that I could count, dating back to the 1920's. My friend bought a 5 horse Yamaha P95E outboard (1968) from him a couple of years ago. Never started, brand new !!
I also saw boxes full of parts and documentation. Unique snowmobiles, lawn mowers, tractors and a mint '59 El Camino. Unbelievable.
He also had a couple of other bikes, like that little Honda next to the YA6. And of course a lot of junk I couldn't identify.
I love to go to places like that and meet the 'crazy ones' thumb

Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas? IMG_1227

@pictures:

Yeah, that's the one. I like it... Especially this one: wink

Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas? 12298
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas?   Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas? EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 12:51 am

My father started selling Suzuki's in 1963. This bike came out in 1966. I was ten.

It came with a get-kit which is shown in the brochure here:

http://www.suzukicycles.org/A-series/A100_brochures.shtml

The kit pumped the HP up to about an unbelievable ~16 HP level. My bike was identical to this one:

Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas? A100_RTkit_bw1_640

About that time, H-D came out with the "Baja" and hired two well known riders (Paul Hunt and Jack Krizman) to develop it for So Cal desert racing (the 100cc class was hotly contested with new, small bore bikes).

The two came out to the desert and my dad (being the betting man he was) challenged them and all their experience and their new prototypes to a drag race with me (eleven years old at the time) to a drag race on my lil Suzuki.

It only took three of the planned five races to put the money in my dad's wallet.

HP to weight I had em beat even if I had a bad start. ...but I didn't.

All they saw was my lil boy butt tucked down behind the bars and dust.

Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas?   Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas? EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 11:24 pm

Good story ! Thanks for sharing thumb
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas?   Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas? EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 1:30 am

Good Golly Miss Molly! That was my first bike, kind of. Mine was chopped up - a Ducati tank, Royal Enfield tailight, Shorty chrome rear fender, custom single seat. It started life as a 250cc Big Bear Scrambler. I don't remember the year made, only that I bought it for $350 in December of 1964 and had five speeding tickets in six months. Here's a scan of my only surviving pic. Ring ding ding ding....

Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas? Scan0001vz
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas?   Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas? EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 4:08 am

Gee Bob... I dunno.

Ya look to be drag-racin' mostly- naked on what appears to be a twin pipe Yamaha 250 ? ?

With my dad having sold Ducs and Machless, BSA, Norton and Greeves, I was probably lucky to have a hybrid.

Luckily, just after that ( for my 12 year old size) Hodaka's came out and after that, homologated dirt bikes (Sachs, Rickman-Metisse as well as Bultacos, Montesas, Maico, Puch, DKW (Etc).

Lucky me I had and raced all but a Bultaco (which he did not sell).

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas?   Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas? Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking at this 1964 Yamaha, any ideas?
Page 1 of 1