Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chains and Sprockets

Go down 
+87
xzatx
dicklane625
Casper911
bigchevy73
DSO
wwguy
Pooka
Biglake
mcdoudlehopper
Jens Eskildsen
D.triggs
speersie
gman994
Evol
WolfpackFBNS
beer goggle
beefcakemorris
rsteiger
rvsixer
majordad0806
Counselor
Death ParadoX
thelandman
thunderwagn
pbnut
StreetGhost
msfagnani
MotoKirby
adamoto
AaronWhitt82
Stubbz
Dabo
jdberry
Akasy
supernac
mattf
raven1
jeffpack1957
john92
Mr.Metal
picard
Dark
3KGT_Maddness
PooTeeTat
12oclocker
gregli
yellowredlight
griffin738
dulinor
xcel
Chief_Lee_Visceral
vwsandman
10Cup
ed29
skierd
WRoldman
Navajib
scgmc
greer
ramz
shawngrodz
bash3r
motokid
antipode
Chadx
lancek
wahilde
warriordad
mwakey
YZEtc
Skip
Jäger
Bob
SteveRed
ZED
derm75
dirtytrixx400
BPG
bocaj
drater
Machtig
SheWolf
Krabill
INSTIGATOR
boogn1sh
kvg
YamWOW!
91 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
motokid
motokid

Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 9:17 am

adamoto wrote:
Stubbz wrote:
hmm i think you'll be ok with 116. i have a 49 tooth and i bet i cutout over 4 links. i can check for you later on cuz i have the leftover chain still in the garage. if its more than 4 links you'll be good to go.

Hey Stubbz, did you find out how many links you cut out?

Hey Adam: click me

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Stubbz

Stubbz

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 10:22 am

motokid wrote:
adamoto wrote:
Stubbz wrote:
hmm i think you'll be ok with 116. i have a 49 tooth and i bet i cutout over 4 links. i can check for you later on cuz i have the leftover chain still in the garage. if its more than 4 links you'll be good to go.

Hey Stubbz, did you find out how many links you cut out?

sorry man i didnt think about it this past weekend. im almost positive i have 5 links from mine that i cutout
Back to top Go down
adamoto

adamoto

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 1:56 pm

motokid wrote:

Thanks Ed thumb Also another question, with the 13/48 combo, will the odometer be off or just the speedometer?
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 2:11 pm

adamoto wrote:
motokid wrote:

Thanks Ed thumb Also another question, with the 13/48 combo, will the odometer be off or just the speedometer?
Both.

The speedo healer allows you to correct for one of the two, just as it does for the stock configuration. To the best of my knowledge, either stock or modified, you can't have both an accurate odometer and accurate speedometer on the WR, even using a speedo healer. You have to choose one or the other to correct for.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 2:13 pm

Jager,

If you go with a 14/49, do you suppose you'll choose 112 links or 114?

Thanks

Sarah
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 2:19 pm

greer wrote:
Jager,

Thanks

Sarah
Well, I do know I am going with that combo when the current sprockies are toast.

As to how many links... haven't really thought of that yet. Probably just a 112 and call it good. Should I be agonizing over the choices?
Back to top Go down
Stubbz

Stubbz

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 2:52 pm

Jäger wrote:
adamoto wrote:
motokid wrote:

Both.

The speedo healer allows you to correct for one of the two, just as it does for the stock configuration. To the best of my knowledge, either stock or modified, you can't have both an accurate odometer and accurate speedometer on the WR, even using a speedo healer. You have to choose one or the other to correct for.

not true, if you correct for speed and your actually doing 60mph when the speedo says 60mph then your going 60 miles per hour... correcting your speedo will correct your mileage as long as it is dead on to your correct speed.
Back to top Go down
Stubbz

Stubbz

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 2:53 pm

Jäger wrote:
greer wrote:
Jager,

Thanks

Sarah
Well, I do know I am going with that combo when the current sprockies are toast.

As to how many links... haven't really thought of that yet. Probably just a 112 and call it good. Should I be agonizing over the choices?

i have 13/49 on my X and i went with a 120 link, had to take out 4 or 5 links i think so not sure that 112 or 114 will cut it for a 14/49 but maybe
Back to top Go down
MotoKirby

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 3:23 pm

Im having trouble finding a 46 tooth rear sprocket for the WR. Anybody know a place to get one, trying to keep the stock chain for now.

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 3:42 pm

Stubbz wrote:
Jäger wrote:
adamoto wrote:
motokid wrote:

Both.

not true, if you correct for speed and your actually doing 60mph when the speedo says 60mph then your going 60 miles per hour... correcting your speedo will correct your mileage as long as it is dead on to your correct speed.

Errrr....I don't think so.

If you correct your speedo with a 12 o'clock labs device you throw your odometer off.

That's my understanding.

Your odometer is correct when it comes from factory. Your speedo is off 7.7% roughly from factory.
As you monkey with the speedo to correct it, you alter your odometer by the same percentage.

It's Yamaha's stupid damn fault.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 3:45 pm

MotoKirby wrote:
Im having trouble finding a 46 tooth rear sprocket for the WR. Anybody know a place to get one, trying to keep the stock chain for now.

Have you tried rockymountainatv.com

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 3:48 pm

adamoto wrote:
motokid wrote:

Your speedometer will be WAY off. By over 20%.

It's my understanding that since the calculations for speed and distance are somehow calculated off the transmission the odometer won't be effected by gearing changes anywhere near as much as speed.

If you fix speed, you throw the distance off.

That's my understanding. I'd rather know my speed than know exactly how far I've gone.

Cops tend to not care much about "my speedometer doesn't show me the right speed officer" excuse. Very happy

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Stubbz

Stubbz

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 4:15 pm

sportbikes were never that way i know that but this is my first sumo so that could be correct, very stupid tho if that is right. not sure why they would do that.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 4:18 pm

MotoKirby wrote:

Dennis Kirk carries JT sprockets.

Manufac # JTR245256
Dennis Kirk # 8105446

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp;jsessionid=XCA5O0QTK4UZTQFIDYFCM4WAVAPAQIV0?store=&skuId=8105446&mmy=

Sarah
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 4:23 pm

Jäger wrote:
greer wrote:
Jager,

Thanks

Sarah

No; per DH's chart linked on page 1 either will work; just wondered if I should go one way or the other. I figure I'll go with 112. Thanks.

Sarah
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 4:34 pm

Sarah, if you click my link you'll see that I have a 112 with a 13-48 combo and where that left me in terms of adjustment.

I'd guess you'd be okay - but if you order 114 you'd be safe. Might need to cut out a link or two....but I'd rather cut out than add....

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 4:50 pm

Stubbz wrote:
Wrong.

The speedometer and odometer are not calibrated to each other, for whatever reason, probably having something to do with the design. Most of us when we bought our bikes found the odometer to be fairly accurate and the speedometer off to a fair degree.

12 o'clock labs speedo healer allows you to correct one or the other. I haven't delved into all the permutations with various sprocket and tire sizes. It would be nice if a healer that could address both would appear, but I suspect that's not an option.

I adjusted my bike for accurate speedometer, and let the GPS keep track of distance for me. Others probably do the reverse.
Back to top Go down
greer

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 6:42 am

motokid,

I see what you mean, thanks for that. Let me do some more studying. Thanks again.

Sarah

motokid wrote:
Sarah, if you click my link you'll see that I have a 112 with a 13-48 combo and where that left me in terms of adjustment.

I'd guess you'd be okay - but if you order 114 you'd be safe. Might need to cut out a link or two....but I'd rather cut out than add....
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 6:57 am

greer wrote:
motokid,

I see what you mean, thanks for that. Let me do some more studying. Thanks again.

Sarah

motokid wrote:

No problem...just keep in mind I'm on an X , not an R.

I have no clue if the distance from countershaft to rear axle is exactly the same or not.

Just trying to cover all the bases here.... thumb

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
adamoto

adamoto

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 12:37 pm

bannana I ordered a Primary Drive 48T steel sprocket, 116 link D2 Moto blue chain, and 12 oclock labs speedo healer bannana
Back to top Go down
Stubbz

Stubbz

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 9:59 am

nice setup right there thats basically what i have also
Back to top Go down
msfagnani

PostSubject: Chain and Sprocket Suggestions   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptySat May 28, 2011 12:17 pm

I am looking to stick with the stock 13/43 setup but want to replace both the front and rear sprockets as well as the chain in order to get a higher quality product. Does anyone have any suggestions on what particular setup to go with?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptySat May 28, 2011 12:38 pm

msfagnani wrote:
I am looking to stick with the stock 13/43 setup but want to replace both the front and rear sprockets as well as the chain in order to get a higher quality product. Does anyone have any suggestions on what particular setup to go with?

There is nothing wrong with the "quality" of the stock stuff, unless you have a model with the rubber ring on the rear sprocket. And even then the rubber ring is more of an annoyance than a quality issue.

Unless you just have money to burn, why not either change the gearing, because the stock gearing is pretty weak, or spend you money on something else that'll be better for the bike and/or you?

Do you have a fuel programmer? Barkbusters? Hand guards? Fender eliminator? Decent jacket, gloves, helmet, googles......exhaust????

The stock chain and sprockets are not complete crap in and of themselves.

You should really re-think your original idea a bit.

IMHO

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 4:29 pm

I've looked at every site people have been recommending, and I can't find a 46T sprocket. Is it just me or has anyone else seen one for an WRR?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 10:57 pm

I sent this note to a friend on 8/4:

SprocketCenter.com sells the 46T rear sprocket for the WRR but you have to look at the WR250F page to get the numbers. The WRR and WRF use the same sprockets and I don't know why Sprocket Center doesn't show the full set of sprockets available for the WRR.
[I just called them and they said a lot of 'street bike' riders like the kits, which allow you to choose the size, so they don't bother listing the rear sprockets individually.]

They show AFAM, Renthal, Drive Systems (alloy), and Superlight (Drive Systems steel) rear sprockets; all come in 46T.

I have used the Superlight (Drive Systems steel) on various motos and like it.

They have the SuperSprox Tri-metal (gold, which I have on my WRR) in 45T and 47T but you have to call to order them. The Superlight is just as light...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chains and Sprockets   Chains and Sprockets - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chains and Sprockets
Page 7 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next