Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
eflyersteve

Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma Empty
PostSubject: Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma   Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 2:52 pm

This was from a few months back. We took the WRx and my son's CRF230M with us and the travel trailer for two days along the Talamena drive in the Winding Stair mountains. This was during peak 'fall foliage' season and the colors were truly amazing.

We had intended on driving to Mena Arkansas but found that sticking to the county roads was much more fun. These are no ordinary county roads - these are rocky trails that you can ride on for days and not see another soul on except perhaps an occasional ATV. It would take a capable 4x4 to get back on some of these roads.

We only had one day of riding and we plan to go back in the spring for several days. For now, here are some photos of the trip. The scenic overlooks are from the Talamena drive. The others are from the county roads CR D4691 and CR 254 and the roads and trails that connect. We ended up ending the day when my son's front tire kicked up a large, square rock that took his foot off the peg and caused him to lay the bike over on some big rocks. His barkbusters really saved his hand though and survived the fall really well. He had forgotten his boots and was in tennis shoes but fortunately it didn't hurt his ankle.

The general area of Oklahoma. We parked the RV at Big Cedar RV park. Was a pleasant place to stay. We arrived at around 11pm and the owner met us at the office and helped get us situated
Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma Big_ce11

Closer detail of the area:
Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma Big_ce12

General pics - in no particular order:

Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma 20111110

Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma 20111112

My son - taking a 'break' behind a big rock:
Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma 20111113

Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma 20111114

Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma 20111115

Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma 20111116

Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma 20111117

Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma 20111118

Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma 20111119

Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma 20111120

Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma 20111121

Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma 20111122
Back to top Go down
MotoKirby

PostSubject: Re: Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma   Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 3:16 pm

My favorite riding area, and only 2.5 hours away from me. Glad you guys enjoyed it. Riding out of Mena is great as well, go south to Wolfpen gap, or north to Fourche and then on to Sugar creek. Like you were saying, much of it is NF service roads and then OHV trails mixed in. Hope you like rocks though!

Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: Re: Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma   Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 11:26 pm

I love that area! Great place to ride and explore. We rode the Kiamiche Trail (kTrail) from Clayton to Mena then rode the Tamina Drive back. Makes for a nice loop. I still need to ride the Wolf Pen Gap area.
Back to top Go down
eflyersteve

PostSubject: Re: Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma   Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 11:29 am

I had no idea that I had ridden on part of ktrail. Just looked at the map closer. Hopefully next spring, my son and I will make the entire trip from Clayton to Mena on it. We really loved the area.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma   Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma Empty

Back to top Go down

Ouachita National Forrest - Oklahoma
Page 1 of 1