Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

first tune up is way expensive!

Go down 
+8
motokid
deerHater
sturgeon
YZEtc
craigq
bmwrider1946
Jäger
rangehound
12 posters
AuthorMessage
rangehound

first tune up is way expensive! Empty
PostSubject: first tune up is way expensive!   first tune up is way expensive! EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 9:27 pm

I have a new 2012 WR250R. Love the bike but was shocked by the cost of the first (600 mi) dealer tune up.

All the dealers want $250! That is more than I pay for my car. Is htis correct? What do I get for that much money?

Thx
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: first tune up is way expensive!   first tune up is way expensive! EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 2:05 am

I suspect I'm like most people here and my WRR has never seen the dealer's premises. Not that it won't go there if it needs it, but what did you get for your $600? More specifically, that you couldn't have done yourself, even if not particularly mechanically inclined.

Good question.

My guess is you got an oil change, and other than that a bunch of "checking".
Back to top Go down
bmwrider1946

PostSubject: Re: first tune up is way expensive!   first tune up is way expensive! EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 8:54 am

The initial tune up calls for adjusting the valves so they take off the gas tank to do that. Lots of labor in that service.
Back to top Go down
craigq

craigq

PostSubject: Re: first tune up is way expensive!   first tune up is way expensive! EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 9:53 am

bmwrider1946 wrote:
The initial tune up calls for adjusting the valves so they take off the gas tank to do that. Lots of labor in that service.

The WR250R does not need a valve clearance check at the initial tune-up. Read the manual, it specs something like 26K miles, but some say this is a little long and do it sooner. This is not the same engine as in the WR250F or YZ250F etc.

Your $250 will buy you an overpriced oil & filter change, and possibly a going over of the nuts 'n bolt torques, possibly clutch & throttle cable checks, tire pressure checks but YMMV. Unless the dealership misquoted you the price for the WR250F/YZ250F...
Back to top Go down
bmwrider1946

PostSubject: Re: first tune up is way expensive!   first tune up is way expensive! EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 10:09 am

I did read then manual and it says it needs a valve adjustment at 600 miles or 1000 km. The dealer also told me that this was part of the service.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/service/manuals/2011/2011_WR250R_LIT-11626-24-20_1842.pdf

Page 3-1 What did I miss?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: first tune up is way expensive!   first tune up is way expensive! EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 10:13 am

That's a 2011 WR-250FA Owner's Service Manual.
The A stands for 2011 Yamaha model.
Somebody working for that website made a mistake and put the WR-250FA manual in place of the WR-250RA one.
That's actually a good thing for somebody with a 2011 WR-250F because they're not supposed to make the Service Manuals available for viewing on the website, but want you to buy it, instead.
I imagine it will be corrected sometime down the road.

The Owner's Manual for the WR-250R and WR-250X have a maintenance schedule that's just fine for mostly street riding.
Myself, if I were to do a lot of off-road riding, the kind of riding where you often spend hours off-road in the dirt, I'd up all of that stuff and do it more frequently, "it" being oil changes, air filter servicing, control cable and chassis lube, and checking the valve clearances.
Back to top Go down
bmwrider1946

PostSubject: Re: first tune up is way expensive!   first tune up is way expensive! EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 10:35 am

Looks like I need to have a talk with my dealer since they included it as part of my service.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: first tune up is way expensive!   first tune up is way expensive! EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 10:39 am

Yes, I'm curious to hear what the answer is, mainly because I'm curious to find out whether it was a mistake, or simply their standard policy, or somewhere in between.
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: first tune up is way expensive!   first tune up is way expensive! EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 10:47 am

I trust my dealer, but I found the mechanics were woefully ignorant about these bikes. They sell maybe one a year. I tried to get 'em to lower the rear shock with the built-in adjustment before I took delivery, and they claimed there was none. Even when I pointed it out they were reluctant. So I did it myself. But they didn't hose me like that for the first service; it was oil+filter and labour. They said they checked torque settings as well. Don't remember exactly how much, but it was under $100. I tend to take new bikes back for first service. Why? Because I can wink I do all the rest myself unless it's something major.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: first tune up is way expensive!   first tune up is way expensive! EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 11:49 am

I called my dealer and asked what the first service for a WR250X included. They started with "balance the carbs." poser2
Yeah, no thanks, I'll do it myself...
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: first tune up is way expensive!   first tune up is way expensive! EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 12:11 pm

Service Manual <-- clicky

Do either of the links in first post of that thread still work?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: first tune up is way expensive!   first tune up is way expensive! EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 2:59 pm

They do work...CLICK THE SKIP AD LINK IN UPPER RIGHT HAND CORNER!! It will take you right to the page. For some reason they managaed to get an add shit page before my links, but they both do work if you skip past it by clicking the yellow button. budah

motokid

PostSubject: Re: first tune up is way expensive!   first tune up is way expensive! EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 3:09 pm

I got my copy downloaded and saved to hard drive years ago. So I've no reason to check if the links still work. thumb

So to the OP.... go download the service manual for the proper bike and see what you think.

No valve check or anything at all concerning the valves until 26,000 miles. Period.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris

PostSubject: Re: first tune up is way expensive!   first tune up is way expensive! EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 3:50 pm

rangehound wrote:
I have a new 2012 WR250R. Love the bike but was shocked by the cost of the first (600 mi) dealer tune up.

All the dealers want $250! That is more than I pay for my car. Is htis correct? What do I get for that much money?

Thx

I know nobody wants to hear this, but 250 bucks is way more than a fair price for everything involved for a first 600 mile service. This is providing you have a trustworthy dealer doing the work. I don't know about this bike. But typically the first service on most bikes includes:

oil change/ filter service

clutch/throttle lube check/adjustment

loosen/grease/check steering head play

check brakes/fluid level

check all safety switches

chain check/adjustment

ALL nuts/bolts top-bottom/front-rear

tire pressures/tire wear

lights/flashers

This is what my local dealership does to almost all bikes that come in for a first service. Of course all bikes are a little different and may need less/more stuff done for a first service. If you are going to use the bike for what it's intended and go to desolate places, it would be smart to learn how to do all this stuff yourself.

I personally tear all my bikes that see dirt down to engine and frame within a few weeks after getting them and lube/check everything. As soon as they come home from purchase, I put a wrench on everything I can. I have yet to get a bike that does not have at least one loose nut or bolt right from the factory. Typically it's a chain adjuster, radiator, shifter, perch, etc that's loose from the factory. My KTM I had do dig deep to find a loose bolt (it ended up being a cross threaded bolt mounting the CDI).

Hope this helps

PS: MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!!
Chris
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: first tune up is way expensive!   first tune up is way expensive! EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 1:52 am

I've only ever had one brand new bike ('07 SV650S) and I did bring it to the dealer for its first service appointment. While they claimed to have checked all sorts of things like steering head bearings, swingarm bolts, wheel bearings, etc,... I seriously doubt they did more than an oil change, tire pressure check, and chain tension. They did, however, hose me for about $250 smackers. Never would have brought it in at all, however, they were checking a slow leak in the front tire -- which I had been complaining about since 3 days after I bought the bike. The service guy lied to me and told me that if the initial service was not done by an "authorized dealer" then the warranty could be void. That was a big fat lie, and I suspected so at the time. Regardless, that's way off topic....

so, here's the page from the WR250R/X service manual:

first tune up is way expensive! Valves-1
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: first tune up is way expensive!   first tune up is way expensive! EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 2:25 am

ballisticexchris wrote:
I know nobody wants to hear this, but 250 bucks is way more than a fair price for everything involved for a first 600 mile service.
I'll disagree with that - particularly when looking at what Yamaha lists for the 600 mile service. And more particularly when you ask yourself "Is this something my baby sister could do with some coaching?"

Quote :
oil change/ filter service
Yes, they will change your oil and filter for you - what's a litre and change of oil and a filter worth to you along with 15 minutes of your time? Figure about $10 once you pick up your Rotella at Wally World and buy half a dozen filters.

Quote :
clutch/throttle lube check/adjustment
What's "Yep, it's fine" worth to you?

How many here have had to adjust/lube their cables in the first 600 miles? They were adjusted as part of the dealer setup, correct?

Quote :
loosen/grease/check steering head play
Okay, that one is a bit beyond basic simple stuff. So, (a) did they actually repack them at 600 miles rather than check and say "feels right", and (b) how long did it take them with all the proper tools at hand?

Quote :
check brakes/fluid level
What's it worth to you to have somebody have a squint at sight glasses for you?

If your new bike is drooling brake fluid by 600 miles, that's what I call "warranty issues" that you shouldn't have to pay to have fixed as part of a service check.

Quote :
check all safety switches
This is something you can't check yourself? How long does it take to check the clutch, sidestand, tipover, and kill switch are working properly? 30 seconds? If they don't work, seems to me you have yourself a warranty issue at only 600 miles.

Quote :
chain check/adjustment
Supposed to be done every 300 miles. Going to pay a dealer to check and adjust your chain for the life of the bike? How long does it take to adjust chain slack and lube it?

Quote :
ALL nuts/bolts top-bottom/front-rear
Not part of the 600 mile checkup specified by Yamaha.

Quote :
tire pressures/tire wear
Not part of the 600 mile checkup specified by Yamaha. What do you want to pay somebody to check your tire pressure? Assuming you run at the specified pressures to start with, of course.

Quote :
lights/flashers
What do you want to pay somebody to see if your headlight and turn signals work?

If somebody WANTS to pay a dealer to do dirt simple maintenance that a chimp could do, that's fine; their money, their business. It's another if they think they HAVE to have that service done by a dealership. And another again if they think there is $250 in service time and lubricants to look at what is essentially a new, properly set up by dealer, motorcycle.

Quote :
I have yet to get a bike that does not have at least one loose nut or bolt right from the factory. Typically it's a chain adjuster, radiator, shifter, perch, etc that's loose from the factory. My KTM I had do dig deep to find a loose bolt (it ended up being a cross threaded bolt mounting the CDI).

So we have either (a) poor/improper dealer prep (the Yamaha dealer prep checklist for this bike is floating around here somewhere), or (b) warranty issues, or (c) a combination of the two.

Which may be considered as normal by some people, but I don't consider it normal or acceptable that somebody should have to shell out hundreds of dollars for a "first service check" to have manufacturer/dealer errors and omissions corrected/repaired. Theoretically, you paid fair value for a new bike without all those errors and faults.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: first tune up is way expensive!   first tune up is way expensive! EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 7:52 am

It's a $250 oil change.
Back to top Go down
ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris

PostSubject: Re: first tune up is way expensive!   first tune up is way expensive! EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 9:47 am

I'm just looking at it as labor costs. Of course I was generalizing as all bikes are a little different. At 90-100 bucks per hour labor, 250 bucks for a 1st service is a fair price. Regardless of how easy it is to do. I have actually seen whats involved when someone brings in a bike for general service. It takes a good 1.5-2 hours for an experienced mechanic to go through a bike( including oil change, clean air filter, and lube chassis). A good shop has their mechanic do a lot more than what the "service manual" calls for.

I do agree that most dealerships are a ripoff and will do nothing more than the minimum they can get away with. If that's the case, and they want to charge me 250 bucks, I will tell them to go pound sand! It's pretty sad that it's so hard to find a good shop these days. I prefer to do most everything myself anyway.

Back to top Go down
texascycle

texascycle

PostSubject: Re: first tune up is way expensive!   first tune up is way expensive! EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 7:06 pm

Uh, yeah, I have never let them steal a first service bonus out of me. When I pointed out the valve adjustment interval from the manual that came with the bike, they still had no clue there was a difference between the WR250R/X and F motor. How about $125 and you can lube my kick stand?

Every dealer of every type / brand of bike I have purchased tries the same thing, too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: first tune up is way expensive!   first tune up is way expensive! Empty

Back to top Go down

first tune up is way expensive!
Page 1 of 1