Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Buzzing coming from Starter Relay

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rowyco-1

Buzzing coming from Starter Relay Empty
PostSubject: Buzzing coming from Starter Relay   Buzzing coming from Starter Relay EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 5:51 pm

So I had the bad fuel pump issue this last summer and I replaced it with a new one. I had it running a few times with no problems, now I can't get the bike to start. When I turn the key, I hear the fuel pump prime and all my lights and gauges come on. When I go to hit the start button, I get a buzzing sound coming from the Starter relay under the battery panel. It's making a clicking/buzzing noise. I checked the fuse in there and it seemed fine. Threw a full charge on the battery and that didn't help. Do I need to replace the starter relay? Has anyone else had this problem?
Back to top Go down
Bikeman

PostSubject: Re: Buzzing coming from Starter Relay   Buzzing coming from Starter Relay EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 3:37 am

Mine did the exact same thing but it was a bad battery. Just enough juice in battery to start to activate the relay but not enough to power fully I know you charged the battery but are the cables attached to it possibly loose?
Also would have the battery load tested before I spent the bucks on a relay most places that sell batteries will do for free. . Think it was over a $100.00 for relay when I needed one.

rowyco-1 wrote:
So I had the bad fuel pump issue this last summer and I replaced it with a new one. I had it running a few times with no problems, now I can't get the bike to start. When I turn the key, I hear the fuel pump prime and all my lights and gauges come on. When I go to hit the start button, I get a buzzing sound coming from the Starter relay under the battery panel. It's making a clicking/buzzing noise. I checked the fuse in there and it seemed fine. Threw a full charge on the battery and that didn't help. Do I need to replace the starter relay? Has anyone else had this problem?
Back to top Go down
millert85

PostSubject: Re: Buzzing coming from Starter Relay   Buzzing coming from Starter Relay EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 7:50 pm

grab your multimeter and check for continuity/voltage across the large battery terminals when pressing the starter. if thats ok, check voltage at the starter motor, if there is voltage there try giving it a tap. it may be sticky/worn brushes. the other suggestion about load testing battery is good too. check voltage at battery as you press the starter.

i dont know how many guys bring in starter solenoids thinking they're stuffed and there is nothing wrong, the issue is in the starter motor or a dead battery. the solenoid should click and give a slight buzz as its connecting.
Back to top Go down
wristpin

PostSubject: Re: Buzzing coming from Starter Relay   Buzzing coming from Starter Relay EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 10:20 am

Bad battery for sure. Throw some jumper cables on it from a battery that you know is good like your car, truck or lawnmower to be sure.
Back to top Go down
rowyco-1

PostSubject: Re: Buzzing coming from Starter Relay   Buzzing coming from Starter Relay EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 12:32 pm

Thanks for the reply's guys. I've got the charger on it right now. Hopefully I'll know by tonight if that was the issue.
Back to top Go down
rowyco-1

PostSubject: Re: Buzzing coming from Starter Relay   Buzzing coming from Starter Relay EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 11:32 am

Yep, You guys were right again. Got the battery all charged up and it fired right up. Thanks for the replies and hopefully this bit of info will help others in the future.
Back to top Go down
Bikeman

PostSubject: Re: Buzzing coming from Starter Relay   Buzzing coming from Starter Relay EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 12:42 pm

Glad it turned out to be a no cost fix and we could help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buzzing coming from Starter Relay   Buzzing coming from Starter Relay Empty

Back to top Go down

Buzzing coming from Starter Relay
Page 1 of 1