Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

My bike turns off after pressing the starter's button

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BaptMan

BaptMan

My bike turns off after pressing the starter's button Empty
PostSubject: My bike turns off after pressing the starter's button   My bike turns off after pressing the starter's button EmptySun Jan 08, 2017 3:31 am

Hello,

To quickly retrace the history of my motorcycle.

I bought last week a WR250R of 2010 with 3000 kms.
The previous owner didn't use it since 16 months, she was in his garage and he only started it from time to time.

Before buying it, I did a road test and the bike worked perfectly.

The previous owner had received the letter from Yamaha for the recall builder on the stator problem, but bécause he didn't use the motorcycle, he didn't bring it to Yamaha.

After having insured the bike, check the oil level, the pressure of the tires, the tightening of the screws, new gasoline, I leave for a 100 kms ride on the road, good felling, the bike always rolls as well.

I make a little dirt road, some little jumps and I stop the bike. I start it to park 500 m away.

After a short break, I try to start it, when I turn the ignition key on "ON", the meter turns on normally, but when I press the starter, I hear a click towards the back of the bike and the meter switches off (everything on the bike switch off).

I tried changing the fuse, with another battery and I still have the same problem.

I did not try to start it on the buggy to see if it will start or not, but I will try this afternoon.

Edit : she starts in a downhill in second gear.

Has any of you ever had this problem?
Would you have any leads to find out where it might come from?

Thank you for your help !

++

BaptMan
Back to top Go down
CRFan1

PostSubject: Re: My bike turns off after pressing the starter's button   My bike turns off after pressing the starter's button EmptySun Jan 08, 2017 11:43 am

Sounds like the battery is bad as a result of either the battery being bad, the stator failing or your regulator/rectifier failing. First things first, put a voltmeter (set to DC) on the battery with the bike running and see what voltage it is putting out. It should be up around 14v. If you are seeing like low 13's or 12's you have a problem.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: My bike turns off after pressing the starter's button   My bike turns off after pressing the starter's button EmptySun Jan 08, 2017 12:09 pm

I'd test the battery with a real motorcycle battery load tester, as used by Yamaha motorcycle dealers.

If the guy you bought the bike from had it sitting in his garage for 16 months, I'd expect the battery to be toast and needing replacement.
Replacement with a known good one.

Also, check for a rodent nest in the airbox.
That's a favourite place for those little critters to hide.
There, under the seat, under the plastic bodywork, and any handy place that acts as an out-of-sight hideout.
Back to top Go down
BaptMan

BaptMan

PostSubject: Re: My bike turns off after pressing the starter's button   My bike turns off after pressing the starter's button EmptySun Jan 08, 2017 1:09 pm

Hi guys, thank you for your anwsers ! :)

I tried to connect the battery to a tester and he said she was good.
I can start the bike if I shunt the starter relay. Do you know how I can check if he is dead or not ?
When I plug a voltmeter on DC to the battery when the bike is running as says CRFAN1, I find 14,2V.

I tried to start the bike with the starter, and here, as by magic, the motorcycle starts, I do not understand!

However, I hear a big "click" when I activate the starter and the bike's running.

I will bring my motorcycle to Yamaha for the manufacturer recall regarding the stator and I would ask them to look for my problem ..
Back to top Go down
Elm

PostSubject: Re: My bike turns off after pressing the starter's button   My bike turns off after pressing the starter's button EmptyMon Jan 09, 2017 4:29 am

Sounds like you have identified the fault as an intermittent fault with the Starter Relay.
Back to top Go down
CRFan1

PostSubject: Re: My bike turns off after pressing the starter's button   My bike turns off after pressing the starter's button EmptyMon Jan 09, 2017 9:28 am

Elm wrote:
Sounds like you have identified the fault as an intermittent fault with the Starter Relay.

Yep, sounds like a faulty starter relay...and why are you pressing the starter with the bike running? That is a no no....
Back to top Go down
BaptMan

BaptMan

PostSubject: Re: My bike turns off after pressing the starter's button   My bike turns off after pressing the starter's button EmptyWed Jan 11, 2017 5:55 am

CRFan1 wrote:

Yep, sounds like a faulty starter relay...and why are you pressing the starter with the bike running?  That is a no no....

No, I did not do that, my sentence that was badly formulated
"However, I hear a big "click" when I activate the starter and the bike's running." = When the bike is off, and when I puch the starter, I hear a "click" (relay of starter) THEN the bike starts !

Yamaha's says "as the motorcycle has remained stationary for a long time, the starter relay may have stay glued"

++
Back to top Go down
CRFan1

PostSubject: Re: My bike turns off after pressing the starter's button   My bike turns off after pressing the starter's button EmptyWed Jan 11, 2017 9:42 am

Ok I got ya, hehe. Yeah if the Battery is known to be good than I would suspect the relay itself. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My bike turns off after pressing the starter's button   My bike turns off after pressing the starter's button Empty

Back to top Go down

My bike turns off after pressing the starter's button
Page 1 of 1