Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Historic La Bajada Hill

Go down 
AuthorMessage
blackheart

blackheart

Historic La Bajada Hill Empty
PostSubject: Historic La Bajada Hill   Historic La Bajada Hill EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 10:48 am

There is plenty of dual sport day trips out of Santa Fe. I was on my way back to Santa Fe and decided to do the old La Bajada Hill.

I had been down it several times but never up. Down is way easier. The combination of grade, rocks, ruts, and hairpin turns was considerabley more challneging. And I made it without dropping the bike, so I was quite pleased. Sometimes I wonder why I do some of things I do!

This pic is when the road was the primary way down the escarpment. At the time it consisted of 21 hairpin turns. The pic is a screen shot.
Historic La Bajada Hill 041d047d

This is how the road is today. It has had no maintenance that I am aware of since it was abandoned in 1932. At the bas is a small community, La Bajada. Finding the road running it in reverse was abit of challenge.
Historic La Bajada Hill 88313389

You are looking west into the Jemez Mountains where we do single track and forest service roads. Before entering US Forest Service Land you pass through the Cochiti Pueblo. My son Matt and I have routed a way to Pagosa Springs from Santa Fe that is 80% dirt roads. That is a story for another time.

Back to top Go down

Historic La Bajada Hill
Page 1 of 1