Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

New Cold Engine Hesitation

Go down 
+7
bhmax
dtx
oic0
skierd
Just Bob
aaronhall555
mordicai
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mordicai

New Cold Engine Hesitation Empty
PostSubject: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 9:48 pm

Just wondering what's changed with my engine.10,000 miles and about 12 months old. It always started right up and ran great hot or cold. Now it has a big hesitation from stopped until it warms up...3 or 4 minutes. Just curious what it is that's changed to cause this....thought some of guys would know.
Back to top Go down
aaronhall555

aaronhall555

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 10:03 pm

idk. Mine has always has this problem, since 0 miles on the bike, only when it's cold, but once it warms up for a few minutes runs great. Seems somewhat normal to me, but I'm no expert.
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 11:11 pm

I'm going to guess ethanol. Double dosing by both distillers and distributors has been known to happen (each claim the fed tax credit), in which case it would run like a pig. Since its just doing it at warmup, I think its the ethanol leaning it out just when it needs to be much richer than the ECU provides.
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 11:13 pm

mordicai wrote:
thought some of guys would know.

Uh oh... You're gonna piss of SheWolf with that one! Very happy
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 12:11 am

Just Bob wrote:
mordicai wrote:
thought some of guys would know.

Uh oh... You're gonna piss of SheWolf with that one! Very happy

Oh boy........
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 12:15 am

Yah, it sure seems lean, and the shit gas idea makes a lot of sense. My only problem with that is I fill up once or twice a day; all at different stations. It starts right up even when it's cold, and idles smooth.......go figure.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 12:23 am

Check your idle setting. Mine starting getting snatchier and snatchier off idle especially when cold, and eventually I put the bike in diagnostic mode and checked the idle rpm. Found out that the idle had dropped a couple hundred rpm lower than factory spec. 5 minutes with a screwdriver and it was back to normal. So yeah, check and adjust your idle.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 12:54 am

Good thought. I'll check the idle in the morning. Never had it in diagnostic mode so it's about time I learned the process.
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 1:42 am

mordicai wrote:
...I fill up once or twice a day.

It was just about three months back that the regulation kicked in that ALL gas stations MUST sell E10. Before you could find real gas in a lot of stations.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 1:52 am

I have'nt had real gas since I lost my viginity. Where in the hell do you buy real gas in California other then the airport?
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 3:28 am

Mine does it real bad too. The more mods I did, the worse. Its because my FMF fuel programmer doesn't adjust the fuel just off idle.
I can usually cure 75% of it by just barely rolling into the throttle to make it fast idle for about 15 seconds. After that its good enough to ride. Just be careful pulling out and making a sharp turn, cutting out mid turn can make things interesting. Also, dont rev the piss out of it to compensate. Its tempting but horrible for a cold engine.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 6:35 pm

mordicai wrote:
Just wondering what's changed with my engine.10,000 miles and about 12 months old. It always started right up and ran great hot or cold. Now it has a big hesitation from stopped until it warms up...3 or 4 minutes. Just curious what it is that's changed to cause this....thought some of guys would know.
Do you have an FMF fuel programer ? If they quitt its goes back to a stock map,that stumbles when cold.Thats how i know mine craped out twice !
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 7:42 pm

The other thing that has been happening now that I think about it is that recently the gas cap is real tight when I go to take it off there is a vacumn in the tank...... My gas cap vent is not working properly( plugged up) and causing a vacumn which is causing a lack of fuel to reach the injectors when the engine is cold???? Why else would I be all of a sudden getting a partial vacumn in the gas tank?
Back to top Go down
aaronhall555

aaronhall555

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 7:51 pm

mordicai wrote:
The other thing that has been happening now that I think about it is that recently the gas cap is real tight when I go to take it off there is a vacumn in the tank...... My gas cap vent is not working properly( plugged up) and causing a vacumn which is causing a lack of fuel to reach the injectors when the engine is cold???? Why else would I be all of a sudden getting a partial vacumn in the gas tank?

Check that your vent hose and one way valve are clear. Probably wont fix the hesitation when cold though.
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 8:22 pm

mordicai wrote:
...there is a vacumn in the tank....

Bingo. thumb
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 8:57 pm

Just Bob wrote:
mordicai wrote:
...there is a vacumn in the tank....

Bingo. thumb

Could be a bingo.....It's cold and nasty out and I'm too much of a slug to go play in the garage( I don't think my box is in quite as good condition as yours , Bob),but I'll give it a go tomorrow, and try and figure where and how that cap vents.
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:05 am

Cold and nasty out? Dude... don't you live in San Diego? Suspect
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:31 am

skierd wrote:
Cold and nasty out? Dude... don't you live in San Diego? Suspect

We're in the middle of a sever winter storm........you know...45F and 15 MPH winds....real extreme winter stuff.
Back to top Go down
bhmax

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 10:10 am

Mine always did this stock. I don't think I notice it as much after tuning was done with my PC-V.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 10:18 am

Well all fixed. Never did this before and doesn't do it anymore.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 10:49 am

mordicai wrote:
Well all fixed. Never did this before and doesn't do it anymore.

What "fixed" it?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 1:07 pm

[quote="motokid]What "fixed" it? [/quote]

^^ what he said ^^
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 2:27 pm

Don't know what fixed it but I do want to know... Mine has always required a few minutes (time enough to put on my gear) before rolling out. If I open the throttle too quickly before it's warmed up it will stall.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 2:32 pm

ummm, ahhh, well.......ahh......o.k. seems somebody snuck into my locked garage and swithched the hose's from my just recently removed CA Cannister. They plugged the fuel tank hose, and removed the plug from the throttle body hose. Is that a rotten thing for for a person to do? I gotta stop smokin this shit.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 2:40 pm

mordicai wrote:
ummm, ahhh, well.......ahh......o.k. seems somebody snuck into my locked garage and swithched the hose's from my just recently removed CA Cannister. They plugged the fuel tank hose, and removed the plug from the throttle body hose. Is that a rotten thing for for a person to do? I gotta stop smokin this shit.

poser2

freaky

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Cold Engine Hesitation   New Cold Engine Hesitation Empty

Back to top Go down

New Cold Engine Hesitation
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next