Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED

Go down 
+6
Arkmage
Fuzzy Wrench
BuilderBob
DeadmTrigger
pbnut
Kalani Prince
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Kalani Prince

Kalani Prince

++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED Empty
PostSubject: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 10:30 pm

I can be most easily found at :
https://www.facebook.com/AccidentalBroadcast
or
https://www.youtube.com/user/AccidentalBroadcast

Here's the kit I got : it will work on 08-11' 250R and X : http://amzn.to/LLZq4y <--- It includes everything you need for the upgrade. Have fun with your extra braaaap!

++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED Photo10

So my friend Jason and I just put Athena's in both our 2008WR's yesterday ( video of install coming soon ).

I used the MAP off dyojets site as I'm using the USBIII fuel management instead of the Athena's + - the gray wire thingy : )

I'm looking to get the best map installed for the following configuration. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated as I feel the bike could definitely be refined. As is she's got some pretty nice braaaaapability!

Current config:
2008 WR250R
-Athena 290cc kit
-Yoshimura RS2 Exhaust
-FMF Megabomb header
-Flapper removed
-Dynojet USBIII fuel management
-other farkle goes here.

Much love in advance for your insights ; )

++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED 41767810

Last edited by Kalani Prince on Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 4:15 am

Outstanding!

Love the videos by the way. Particularly the one where your slogging through those massive mud puddles. poser2
I subscribed shortly thereafter.
Back to top Go down
Kalani Prince

Kalani Prince

PostSubject: Re: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 4:21 am

pbnut wrote:
Outstanding!

Love the videos by the way. Particularly the one where your slogging through those massive mud puddles. poser2
I subscribed shortly thereafter.

haha, much love ; )
Back to top Go down
DeadmTrigger

PostSubject: Re: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptyTue May 01, 2012 10:53 am

thumb to Kalani

I will be ordering one this month.

Requesting a video of your impressions of the Athena 290 kit on Accidental Broadcast.

Keep making your Video.
Back to top Go down
Kalani Prince

Kalani Prince

PostSubject: Re: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptyThu May 10, 2012 8:28 pm

DeadmTrigger wrote:
thumb to Kalani

I will be ordering one this month.

Requesting a video of your impressions of the Athena 290 kit on Accidental Broadcast.

Keep making your Video.

It's fantastic!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 12:33 pm

My Problem: The more I read, the more I want. So I'm considering the Athena kit now.
My Experience: I've rebuilt the top end of an inline-4 motor before, but that was when everything was OEM.
My Question: Is the Big Bore kit something that can be installed without any specialized tools? Or does it require odd machinery to install (ie piston ring compression sleeve, honing tools, etc.)
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 1:43 pm

whitea42 wrote:
My Problem: The more I read, the more I want. So I'm considering the Athena kit now.
My Experience: I've rebuilt the top end of an inline-4 motor before, but that was when everything was OEM.
My Question: Is the Big Bore kit something that can be installed without any specialized tools? Or does it require odd machinery to install (ie piston ring compression sleeve, honing tools, etc.)

You will need a torque wrench. While you're in there, you might as well check the valve clearance, so a decent feeler gauge set will be necessary, as well as access to the shims you might need.

I installed the piston/rings and cylinder on mine, by myself, without the use of a ring compressor. It wasn't hard. Getting the wrist pin circlips on was a bitch, however. The cam chain tensioner can be equally frustrating.
Back to top Go down
Fuzzy Wrench

Fuzzy Wrench

PostSubject: Re: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 10:23 pm

if you're not mechanically inclined, don't have the room or want the peace of mind, get it done by a reputable shop....they would be on the hook if anything happened...I did one with all the tools and a motorcycle lift in 4 hours.....cams/chain were a bitch...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 12:52 am

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't pull it off in 4 hours but I'm confident that I could do it. I guess my question was more to clarify if specialty tools were needed relating to our specific bike, or if not using them caused serious headache. baldy Now to find a way to funnel $1000 without the wife noticing. :hmmm: Is there a forum topic for that? Because if there is, I HIGHLY recommend it be stuck to the top!
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 4:58 pm

whitea42 wrote:
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't pull it off in 4 hours but I'm confident that I could do it. I guess my question was more to clarify if specialty tools were needed relating to our specific bike, or if not using them caused serious headache. baldy Now to find a way to funnel $1000 without the wife noticing. :hmmm: Is there a forum topic for that? Because if there is, I HIGHLY recommend it be stuck to the top!

I started a separate account and have certain % of my paycheck deposited directly to that account. She knows the account is there but doesn't know how much is in it or what I spend it on.

She has a similar account.

Before these accounts, we were constantly at each other about spending on stupid shit.

That said, just dropped nearly $600 on a new Lynx fairing and she's not pissed :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 9:29 am

Unfortunately that isn't going to work in my situation. Cash is the easiest to make dissapear but is also problematic as I can't use it when ordering online. Anyways, we're really getting off-topic now. :nono:

So how 'bout that Athena kit?!?!
Back to top Go down
Kalani Prince

Kalani Prince

PostSubject: Re: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 4:09 am

I have a bunch of video footage of the swap, it's not a highly detailed step-by-step but does capture one of the most important parts of the workflow ( The cam chain tensioner ).

Perhaps I should post it : )
Back to top Go down
thelandman

PostSubject: Re: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 5:59 pm

Next farkle needs to be a turbo. All else is pretending.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Black

Mr.Black

PostSubject: Re: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 6:39 pm

Yeah you should post the video of the little WRR's engine rebirth in all it's glory!

Do it now or there will be more of these cry cry
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 1:12 pm

How did the piston compare to the stocker? is the skirt shorter? I might look at either this or the 280 kit in a few years when I need to do a top end. The 280 kit wouldn't be much more expensive than replating.
Back to top Go down
DeadmTrigger

PostSubject: Re: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 9:06 am

Finish putting mine in last night.

The Mod is well worth it. thumb

The torque that the BB kit gives you its what the WR really needed.

Tips:

-Make sure to check your valve clearances (one of the exhaust shims was seated at a angle and the bike wouldn't start. Would have saved me hours of troubleshooting)

-Compressing Chain Tensioner ( The best way to get it down and locked and ready is to get a piece of sand paper fold in half on a table and place the tensioner on top of it and with a back of a screwdriver handle push down on the tensioner and spin the tensioner with your other hand)

-Releasing Chain Tensioner (once everything is lined up use your hands to press firmly on top of your chain in the center of the cam gears with your index finger and pinky finger spread out (reverse Spock hand sign) and rotate slowly counterclockwise. Make sure to focus and keeping that pressure down than rotating. Rotate twice before releasing your hand off the chain and when you feel the tensioner release DON'T remove your hands keep rotating. Also use a latex glove, it helps with chain slip through your hands while you rotate.

Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

PostSubject: How too?   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 10:02 am

I'm getting an Athena kit in today.
Pulled the bike down last night.
Lots of stuff in the way of the head/cylinder, wire loom, tubes, cables.
Those aren't a problem.

Do you remove the airbox, and if not, how do you get the throttle body out?
Just disconnect the rubbers and pull it up through the frame.
Doesn't seem to be much room in there...
Back to top Go down
DeadmTrigger

PostSubject: Re: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 10:09 am

You don't remove the throttle body or the airbox.

You just need to loosen the hose clamp on the engine side of the intake and when you pull the engine you tilt it forward.
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

PostSubject: Re: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 10:27 am

...egads, didn't know you had to pull the motor.
For real?... baldy
Back to top Go down
DeadmTrigger

PostSubject: Re: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 11:38 am

You don't have to pull the motor out but its alot easier with it out. Just to loosen the motor enough to work on it isn't too far from pulling the motor out completely.
Back to top Go down
Rapid Dog

PostSubject: Re: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 3:31 pm

...easier to unbolt the front down tubes then?
Back to top Go down
DeadmTrigger

PostSubject: Re: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 8:44 am

-Remove all plastics
-gas tank
-igntion coil & wires
-remove brake lever
-vent tube for valve cover
-left side wire harness (next to coolant bottle)
-remove front tube bolts
-remove exhaust
-remove starter
-remove clutch cable
-coolant hose
-loosen (to work on bike) or remove (to work on bench) swing arm bolt
-remove engine
-have a beer

i'm sure i'm forgetting somethings but thats basically it.
Back to top Go down
Kalani Prince

Kalani Prince

PostSubject: Re: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 7:07 pm

I would not remove the engine. It's not needed.. Tilting the engine forward however, is.

Took 3hrs with two guys, start to finish.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED   ++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED Empty

Back to top Go down

++Athena 290 KIT INSTALLED
Page 1 of 1