Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

I screwed up and cut my chain short- What is my best option?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
saddletramp

I screwed up and cut my chain short- What is my best option? Empty
PostSubject: I screwed up and cut my chain short- What is my best option?   I screwed up and cut my chain short- What is my best option? EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 6:01 pm

(Note- I had originally put this in the sticky but it was not getting much traffic so I deleted that one and am reposting here to get your input. Thanks PBnut for your response)

I installed new 14/50 sprockets today and a new chain. I had cut the chain to 112 links per the suggestions on various sites but did not take into account that I also have a Yamalink. End result is that the chain is a bit short. I used a master clip. My adjusters are at about the same locations as shown in this picture from page 1 of this thrread.
I screwed up and cut my chain short- What is my best option? Sprocket

You can see that the adjusters are not even on the scale. Me no likey but can live with it if the collective wisdom here is to not worry about it.

So my options would seem to be:
1. Live with it. The chain will stretch a bit which will improve the situation a bit.
2. Add a link to the chain - this would result in me having two master clips (differing opinions on whether that is a no-no, but I cannot find anything definitive.)
3- Buy a new chain and cut it to proper length. Try and sell the one that I cut too short.

My useage of the bike - exploring. putting around on woods roads and two tracks. No jumping, racing, single track. So, what do you think I should do here? Option 1, 2, or 3? or some other?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: I screwed up and cut my chain short- What is my best option?   I screwed up and cut my chain short- What is my best option? EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 8:02 pm

I'd go with number two. If/once the chain stretches enough, you can remove the second master link.

Who told you 112 links for 14/50????
You didn't hear that here did you?

I have 13/48 and 112 links.

Another option for you might be going back to the 13t front sprocket for a bit.

That might give you a bit more chain to play with.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: I screwed up and cut my chain short- What is my best option?   I screwed up and cut my chain short- What is my best option? EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 8:11 pm

Actually, I did get that info from the first post of the sticky at the top of the page in this section of the forum. The difference though is that I have the Yamalink thus the geometry has changed a bit. Waiting to see what folks say but my inclination is to go with option 1 for now and see what happens - I expect to get a bit of chain stretch which will help. My situation is not as severe as the one shown in the photo.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: I screwed up and cut my chain short- What is my best option?   I screwed up and cut my chain short- What is my best option? EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 8:19 pm

saddletramp wrote:
Actually, I did get that info from the first post of the sticky at the top of the page in this section of the forum. The difference though is that I have the Yamalink thus the geometry has changed a bit. Waiting to see what folks say but my inclination is to go with option 1 for now and see what happens - I expect to get a bit of chain stretch which will help. My situation is not as severe as the one shown in the photo.

get the f out

That first post you mentioned is not a recommendation by any means.
I don't think the Yamalink has much to do with it.
I don't think a 14/50 with a 112 would work on any X/R regardless of Yamalink.

That's water under the bridge now though.

A new chain will stretch. If you have some slack and adjustment to play with you might be okay if you don't push the suspension to it's limits for a while.
No jumping off loading docks and stuff. :nono:

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I screwed up and cut my chain short- What is my best option?   I screwed up and cut my chain short- What is my best option? Empty

Back to top Go down

I screwed up and cut my chain short- What is my best option?
Page 1 of 1