Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WWR/X; Good first bike?

Go down 
+8
Marioscario
Delta_T
casto
mucker
motokid
YZEtc
bigg
D28NY
12 posters
AuthorMessage
D28NY

D28NY

WWR/X; Good first bike? Empty
PostSubject: WWR/X; Good first bike?   WWR/X; Good first bike? EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 6:33 am

I'm looking to make one of these my first bike (after taking the MSF Course). From what I can gather, from reading around and talking to people........even long time riders who've ridden many kinds of bikes, big and small, say that these types of bikes are just plain fun to ride. Which is good to hear, because that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for a drag bike or anything. Being able to smoke a Porsche in a straight line isn't necessary for what I'm looking for. Very happy

So a couple question;

1. Do these bikes make good first bikes?

2. On average, how much is insurance for one of these? (I know this can vary widely, depending on certain variables. Just looking for a general answer.)

3. What are the cons to owing one of these? I can think of more than enough reasons to own one. So I'm more interested in why I might not want one.

4. Are there any drastic differences between the X and R versions? I see the wheel/tire difference, and I assume the suspension is different, no?

Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: WWR/X; Good first bike?   WWR/X; Good first bike? EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 7:27 am

First off, welcome to the forum!

Although I had ridden two other motorcycles before getting the WRR (Yamaha YBR 125 and Honda XR200), I only rode them for like a week each. So my WRR is officially my first bike.
It makes as a pretty good startup bike. It is pretty light, the clutch is smooth, its got a sturdy gear box that won't suffer too much when you dump the clutch the first few times. The only con I can think of is the seat height. If you are under 180cm I really wouldn't recommend the WR as a first bike. Especially when you are new to riding it feels good to plant both feet solid on the ground, especially on say, uphill starts. Otherwise, no worries!

Whether you want an R or an X also determine your cons. Generally speaking, both are not great for the highway. I got an R even though I do most of my riding on the road. I use it as a daily commuter to and from uni. I take long trips on it, I've even done 800 miles in a day on it. However, I'm the type of guy that when I see a path in the mountains or wherever, I will go and take it. So even though I don't regularly off road (can't really where I am living), I chose the R because the dirt is calling me Very happy So for me, it was an easy choice, it was worth it even if I only take it off road once a month.

If you are more of a street rider anyway, go for the X. If off roading doesn't really interest you, you don't wanna scrape the mud off the thing etc, go for the X. Plus you know the X is still capable to go very well off road with a quick change of rubber. (even with the street tires you can do some exploring off road).

Also, for a first bike, it's got plenty of power, especially up top! (I don't believe the crap lots of magazine say... like oh, yeah this gsxr 750 makes a great first bike! Suspect how 100 hp makes as a good first bike is beyond me..)

Generally, great fun bike, extremely flexible in many ways (I use it for touring on the weekend, dirt riding in the mountains AND as a commuter thumb )

Plus if I'm honest, there weren't many other options available for me. There was the KLX250, which although pretty good, is still an inferior bike. Then the Ninja 250, which is a great street bike, but I also wanted something that can go on mud. (plus the WR even beats the Ninja on the street, thats how cool it is bow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cOblGBCKsE )

SO yes, I would go for the WR again thumb
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: WWR/X; Good first bike?   WWR/X; Good first bike? EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 8:00 am

My opinion:

1. Do these bikes make good first bikes?

If it's your first motorcycle that you can call your own after completing a training course (and I'm assuming you need something to ride on the street), it's definitely one of the more sensible choices as the bike (compared to a multi-cylinder machine) is relatively light in weight and feels relatively light and manoverable.
I always recommend a dual-purpose bike as a first street-legal bike, and that's what either a WR-250R or WR-250X really is.

If it were to be your very first motorcycle you'll be slinging a leg over, then no.
Not unless you don't mind some bumps, scrapes, and bent parts along the way as you learn how to actually ride a motorcycle.
If you were to want the bike without ever riding any motorcycle, I'd get a small and relatively harmless dirt bike like an older XR-100R and practice off the road and learn how to ride, first.

2. On average, how much is insurance for one of these? (I know this can vary widely, depending on certain variables. Just looking for a general answer.)

For me, as cheap as it gets.
That's always a plus.

3. What are the cons to owing one of these? I can think of more than enough reasons to own one. So I'm more interested in why I might not want one.

The only two things I can see a rookie wondering about (and this will depend on your view on things) are:
1) Will the bike be fast enough to keep me interested in it for more than a month?
2) Will my buddies bust my ass for buying such a small bike?

Don't worry, because the top speed of the bike is somewhere around 90mph, and your buddies had to start somewhere, too.

4. Are there any drastic differences between the X and R versions? I see the wheel/tire difference, and I assume the suspension is different, no?

Beside the wheels assemblies, front caliper, front brake rotor, front brake hose, front brake master cylinder, fork guards, rear sprocket, and colors and graphics, they are identical.
I've read about internal differences with the fork and shock absorber, but if there are any (if, I say), they are minor.

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: WWR/X; Good first bike?   WWR/X; Good first bike? EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 9:07 am

Great first bike choice.

For me - it was a great 5th or 6th bike choice. After roadracing, 20 plus years of sportbikes, and even owning a 1000cc Yamaha R1 sportbike - I love this little screamer.

The cons -

1) addiction sucks - you'll get addicted
2) you'll want to spend money - addiction sucks
3) needs about 10 more horsepower - addiction sucks
4) you can get somewhere from 3-5 hp out of spending about $500 or so - addiction sucks
5) people who know absolute shit about what a 250x can do might make some ignorant comments about your choice in motorcycle
6) your other modes of transportation might get lonely and dusty from lack of use

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: WWR/X; Good first bike?   WWR/X; Good first bike? EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 9:25 am

I had some minor experience on dirt bikes about 20+ years before I had purchased this bike.
My only gripe was how tall the bike was...I'm 5'7"...did some lowering tricks, and seem to be getting used to that fine.
Everything else is more than I deserve. thumb
Back to top Go down
casto

PostSubject: Re: WWR/X; Good first bike?   WWR/X; Good first bike? EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 9:29 am

My WRR is my first bike ever, period, streel legal or dirtbike. It's been a great first bike. I have never had a course, or rode a buddys bike first or anything like that. Like others have said, I think the seat height was the biggest challenge. I'm only 5'9", it was a little daunting at first, and like many others I was interested in lowering it, but after a couple months I am used to it. I don't think I will ever bother lowering it now. It doesn't really have enough power to get away from me easily or accidentally do a whellie like a more powerfull bike could, which is good for a begginer. If it's your first bike then your probably not likely to be very bike-mechanically experienced either, this bike doesn't require a whole lot of maintanance, another plus.
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: WWR/X; Good first bike?   WWR/X; Good first bike? EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 9:43 am

A WR250r/x is a great starter bike. It's light, easy to use, great on fuel, very forgiving, well built and easy to maintain. Some complain that they don't like the on/off throttle response at low speeds but I don't.

They are good on insurance (small bike usually are) but be prepared to put some $ aside because you are a novice.

Like bigg said, the only real issue you might have is the hight of the bike, but you can fix that with changing the rear shock setting and maybe add a Yamalink. An X is slightly lower compared to a R with its 17 inch wheels.
Choosing between a R or an X depends on what you would like to do with it and availability. The only real differences are the wheels and front brake (bigger on a X). The smaller X wheels will limit your tire choice.

Other things that you might notice is the hard seat and the small tank. You will need a refill after +/- 100 miles, which is great because you will have a monkey butt by then anyway Very happy
Both issues can be fixed/replaced but what you probably just want to do is drive it.
And then there is tha dash with minor issues like the speedo being off by say 7%, no tachometer and no indicator in which gear you are in. Not important, but you will loose count every now and then.
I have an X and have no regrets. I used to own bigger multi cylinder bikes but I can assure you that these small thumpers are way more fun, you basically use the whole thing. There are posibilities to modify it so that you have more power, but if that is your goal, you might as well buy a bigger bike.
Bigger is not always better. I would buy one again in a hartbeat.
Back to top Go down
Marioscario

PostSubject: Re: WWR/X; Good first bike?   WWR/X; Good first bike? EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 10:15 am

A smaller dualsport is definitely the way to go for a first bike. It's light enuf to be maneouverable on the street and the trail. Good for learning cornering speeds and braking distances and stuff. The WR has good enuf power to be fun but not too much for a beginner. For the inexperienced, the power of a bigger bike can get you in trouble more quickly, more often. Anyone can crack the throttle and hang on. Not everyone can handle the bike once it's going fast. The dirt's a good place to learn overall balance and handling skills. If you are shorter, you may find he bike a bit tall to sit on when stopped ie tip toes. I don't think the seat height is a big issue on the road but it can be on the trail. The WR can be a bit heavy on looser, soft ball and baby head strewn trails. Especially going downhill. It's nice to be a little more flat footed in those conditions if you're not used to it. It's a shame to dump such a nice bike too many times while learning. I'm not trying to talk you out of a WR. It's an AWESOME bike! It just that it can be one of the drawbacks for a shorter newbie rider on the trail. Check out this video. Lots of good info to help you decide. If you choose something else but stick to dualsport. You WILL be back cuz it is one of the, if not the, best true dualsport bikes. Good Luck !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKx2MQ1zd10&feature=related
Back to top Go down
D28NY

D28NY

PostSubject: Re: WWR/X; Good first bike?   WWR/X; Good first bike? EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 10:16 am

Awesome, thanks for all the info, fellas. Good stuff. Also, thanks for the links. I'm going to check them out later today (I'm downloading a movie on my slow connection, and it won't load the videos)

So the seat height was brought up by pretty much every one of you. I'm 6' with no shoes, so with riding boots, I should be at about 6'1". So I should be good?

As for my previous riding experience, it's very minimal. My first time hopping on a motorcycle was when I was helping my uncle move. He was about to load up his old RM250 and asked if I wanted to take it for a spin. I said "Sure!". He assumed I had ridden before, and I neglected to tell him that I hadn't. Shog All I was going on was a random conversation with a co-worker one time and him telling me "If you can drive stick, you can ride a motorcycle". Boy was he wrong. poser2

I had been driving my manual car for a few years at that point, so I assumed I was set. My uncle fired it up, I hopped on, pull the clutch, kick it into 1st, give it way to much gas and was too quick on the clutch. Needless to say, the front tire went skyward, and because I didn't want to let go and damage it, I rode it out (actually, it dragged me) into the bushes. Cut my leg up pretty good on the footpeg (still have scars 10 years later). We had a good laugh, even though I had blood gushing from my calf. So take 1 was a fail, because I took horrible advice and was naive enough to believe it.

Fast forward to about last year, my buddy bought his wife an old GS500. He said he would give me some lessons on it. Went to a deserted parking lot and with good instruction, I was riding around the lot with ease. It felt great. But I still don't have any street experience and the MSF Course is going to be a must for me.

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: WWR/X; Good first bike?   WWR/X; Good first bike? EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 10:32 am

I'm 5'8" with sneakers on.

I had/have no problem with seat height.

Tippy-toes at stop lights, or one foot down, one foot on peg.

Bike is super light and never an issue.

You'll be more than fine at 6 feet tall.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Marioscario

PostSubject: Re: WWR/X; Good first bike?   WWR/X; Good first bike? EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 10:57 am

D28NY. The seat height is really only an issue offroad, in knarlier steeper stuff. Especially having to put your foot down on the downhill side of the hill. If your 6 ft, the WR will be good. Just respect the conditions until you get better. The CRF230 is easier to ride initially. It's a fun little tractor on the trail, but it will end up being too small for you. Plus, as you get better, you will appreciate the better performance the WR has to offer.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: WWR/X; Good first bike?   WWR/X; Good first bike? EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 11:04 am

I live in a state with some of the highest, possibly THE highest insurance rates, and I'm paying 32 a month for full coverage. Medical, uninsured motorist, etc...

The only other downside is that it is a premium 250. The other 250s on the market are based on old tech or just all around budget bikes. This is the only high tech well built 250 there is. It is also the most expensive by several thousand. If you are buying and selling used, it matters not. If you are buying new and plan to stick with this bike it matters not. If you are buying new with hopes of moving up to a faster bike later, you are going to eat more depreciation because of the much higher initial cost. There is also more value to lose if you tear it up dropping it and wrecking it.
Back to top Go down
josh

PostSubject: Re: WWR/X; Good first bike?   WWR/X; Good first bike? EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 11:11 am

motokid wrote:
Great first bike choice.

For me - it was a great 5th or 6th bike choice. After roadracing, 20 plus years of sportbikes, and even owning a 1000cc Yamaha R1 sportbike - I love this little screamer.

The cons -

1) addiction sucks - you'll get addicted
2) you'll want to spend money - addiction sucks
3) needs about 10 more horsepower - addiction sucks
4) you can get somewhere from 3-5 hp out of spending about $500 or so - addiction sucks
5) people who know absolute shit about what a 250x can do might make some ignorant comments about your choice in motorcycle
6) your other modes of transportation might get lonely and dusty from lack of use

poser2 +1

Thiis is my second WRX......should have never sold the first. baldy
Back to top Go down
xaman

PostSubject: Re: WWR/X; Good first bike?   WWR/X; Good first bike? EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 7:57 pm

It would be real hard to beat this as a first bike for a 6' tall man. Go for it!
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: WWR/X; Good first bike?   WWR/X; Good first bike? EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 8:05 pm

My only problem with singing the praises of the wr250x/r as a first bike is that it implies it's also easily grown out of.

NOT TRUE.

More than a few here have had numerous bikes over numerous decades and ended up with the 250.

It's a wonderful all-around bike that has plenty to offer any rider of any experience.

Just sayin.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
team510

PostSubject: Re: WWR/X; Good first bike?   WWR/X; Good first bike? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 11:15 am

x is my first bike....love it fun, i dont have to work on it!! this was a big part of it for me too! i use to race jetskis invery high class and my skis would only last 6months....not fun i just want to ride.

easy to ride but you wont out grow it unless you are looking to go 150 mph....guys may give you crap untill you keep up with them on a lil 250 in the twisties! i bet 90% of guys who ride 1000cc bikes can only ride 50% potential of the bikes ability.andwho cares you wont stop smiling when you ride ! their will be times that you will want more cc but than look at the guys on big cc motards wrenching on them......

im in cali and spend less than 9 dollars a month.

if i was a single guy and could waste money on just myself i would own a x and a R....but i would rather buy the boys bikes or a boat for us.
Back to top Go down
D28NY

D28NY

PostSubject: Re: WWR/X; Good first bike?   WWR/X; Good first bike? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 2:21 pm

Yeah, I'm not too worried about feeling like I've outgrown the bike. It seems people that have been riding all their lives, and on bigger bikes, still love this thing and get a kick out of it.

Back to top Go down
D28NY

D28NY

PostSubject: Re: WWR/X; Good first bike?   WWR/X; Good first bike? EmptyTue May 01, 2012 12:59 am

OK, one last question.

Now there's a slight chance that I'll have to move back to NY ( GAHHHH ). So part of me is leaning toward the R, so I could still mess around with it in the snow and not have to worry about changing wheels/tires.

How does a factory R handle in the snow? I'm not talking about really deep snow.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: WWR/X; Good first bike?   WWR/X; Good first bike? EmptyTue May 01, 2012 5:21 am

With the stock dual-purpose tires mounted, riding in the snow is a lot more slippery than with knobby tires mounted.
If you want to ride the bike off-road and actually enjoy it, mount some tires made for off-road use.
There are even some that are DOT-approved, although I'd still back it down while riding on pavement with any knobby tire.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: WWR/X; Good first bike?   WWR/X; Good first bike? EmptyTue May 01, 2012 6:04 am

D28NY wrote:
OK, one last question.

Now there's a slight chance that I'll have to move back to NY ( GAHHHH ). So part of me is leaning toward the R, so I could still mess around with it in the snow and not have to worry about changing wheels/tires.

How does a factory R handle in the snow? I'm not talking about really deep snow.

I find the stock R tires to be a pretty good compromise. They work very well on the road (lots of grip). And they work *relatively* well off road. Not so much in deep mud and sand, but then of course, if you are a beginner you should be taking it slow at first anyway freaky , so I would say to give them a try before changing them straight away, especially if you do end up doing lots of street miles on your R, more aggressive off road tires will compromise safety and won't last as long as the stockers.

As for in the snow? Thats a no go on the stocks. I gave it a try in the alps about a month ago and very much nearly killed myself. I was this close to slipping off and tumbling down a 200 m pit! Of course, the snow was hard packed and icy (it was melting). So it may work better with fresh snow, but really only for a few cm.

For snow you'll need studded tires to be on the safe side.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WWR/X; Good first bike?   WWR/X; Good first bike? Empty

Back to top Go down

WWR/X; Good first bike?
Page 1 of 1