Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

FMF powerbomb header with stock muffler?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jon_l

jon_l

FMF powerbomb header with stock muffler? Empty
PostSubject: FMF powerbomb header with stock muffler?   FMF powerbomb header with stock muffler? EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 1:04 pm

Other than the look of stainless vs. steel, is there anything to be gained by using a FMF powerbomb header with the stock muffler? I have been offered a used one for a reasonable price, but I'm not sure if I would have any real use for it. I plan to keep the stock can because it's 1) quiet, 2) I'm short of funds, and 3) it doesn't need repacking.
Back to top Go down
Gundy

PostSubject: Re: FMF powerbomb header with stock muffler?   FMF powerbomb header with stock muffler? EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 10:39 am

I have a megab with the stock muffler. Its a little different, slightly softer tone. Shifts the power a little lower down. Since the powerbomb is more for top-end, I am not sure you would notice much difference. I only have this setup because the header came with the bike. The power advantage doesn't truly get realized until you are running the header with an uncorked muffler and a programmer......and then you are dealing with a lot of noise.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: FMF powerbomb header with stock muffler?   FMF powerbomb header with stock muffler? EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 11:06 am

What's a reasonable price? wink

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
jon_l

jon_l

PostSubject: Re: FMF powerbomb header with stock muffler?   FMF powerbomb header with stock muffler? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 12:42 pm

motokid wrote:
What's a reasonable price? wink

$75
Back to top Go down
briansussex

PostSubject: Re: FMF powerbomb header with stock muffler?   FMF powerbomb header with stock muffler? EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 6:27 pm

Gundy wrote:
I have a megab with the stock muffler. Its a little different, slightly softer tone. Shifts the power a little lower down. Since the powerbomb is more for top-end, I am not sure you would notice much difference. I only have this setup because the header came with the bike. The power advantage doesn't truly get realized until you are running the header with an uncorked muffler and a programmer......and then you are dealing with a lot of noise.

I realise this is an old thread but I have only recently bought a WR250R and am coming up against various issues.

The WR came with an FMF Q4 and Power Bomb header but the Q4 is way too loud for use on our local lanes. I bought a standard muffler to try and it is wonderfully quiet - except for the noisy leaking joint between the muffler and the PB header pipe. How did you get around that please Gundy? There doesn't seem to be enough room fora gasket scratch

Brian
UK
Back to top Go down
Gundy

PostSubject: Re: FMF powerbomb header with stock muffler?   FMF powerbomb header with stock muffler? EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 6:41 pm

I did not have any issues with noise leakage that I could tell. I just made sure the clamp was torqued down to spec. I suppose you could use some silicone high temp sealant...
Back to top Go down
TwilightZone

PostSubject: Re: FMF powerbomb header with stock muffler?   FMF powerbomb header with stock muffler? EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 9:13 pm

>"Q4 is way too loud for use on our local lanes."

Install the 'quiet' spark arrestor... you need the one for the 'FMF Powercore' exhaust.
Smaller diameter, and has a circular baffle in it.

Install it, you will need to bend the spark arrestor screen up and fold it along with the insert.
Works fine, a good bit quieter than the Q4 stuff.

Note the spark arrestors come with the hole a bit miss-drilled from FMF... need a file or some such to
enlarge them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FMF powerbomb header with stock muffler?   FMF powerbomb header with stock muffler? Empty

Back to top Go down

FMF powerbomb header with stock muffler?
Page 1 of 1