Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How to easily remove the gas tank?

Go down 
+2
motokid
thumpergirl
6 posters
AuthorMessage
thumpergirl

How to easily remove the gas tank? Empty
PostSubject: How to easily remove the gas tank?   How to easily remove the gas tank? EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 9:25 am

On my carb'ed bikes this is no problem - shut the fuel off at the petcock and pull the tank off. Well, of course these FI bikes don't have that handy dandy petcock.

Anyone have any nifty way for one person to remove the gas tank without having to siphon all of the gas out of it? And even so, you never really get all the gas out of it so it's kind of messy. Just looking for the best way to deal with this.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: How to easily remove the gas tank?   How to easily remove the gas tank? EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 9:47 am

Fuel system is not gravity fed. There's a pump inside tank that requires power to push gas out of tank.

I believe there's a simple quick-connect type system that allows the gas line to disconnect from tank.

Be super careful not to break off the plastic piece that comes out from bottom of tank.

It's been quite a while since I removed my tank, but I know (pretty sure any way) it can come off completely without needing to empty tank.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
jkstehn

PostSubject: Re: How to easily remove the gas tank?   How to easily remove the gas tank? EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 12:09 pm

thumpergirl wrote:
On my carb'ed bikes this is no problem - shut the fuel off at the petcock and pull the tank off. Well, of course these FI bikes don't have that handy dandy petcock.

Anyone have any nifty way for one person to remove the gas tank without having to siphon all of the gas out of it? And even so, you never really get all the gas out of it so it's kind of messy. Just looking for the best way to deal with this.

As Motokid said, there is a quick connect on the bottom of the tank.

I just replaced my tank Saturday and it was a little bit of a challenge to deal with the quick connect one handed. There is a clip that you have to slide in order to be able to see two blue buttons. In this picture https://2img.net/h/i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq102/km5ca/6DiscoOldTank.jpg that is in a thread on thumpertalk http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/702003-safari-tank-for-wr250r-review-install-photos/ you will see an orange piece, that is the clip. That slides a few mm directly away from the bottom of the tank so that the buttons are exposed. Then squeezing those buttons push the connections toward the tank like you are putting it on, and then you can go the opposite way and slide it off. If you just try to pull it doesn't seem to want to come so try to push it on first.

Some gas will spill when the connection is removed but only a teaspoon or so, just lay a good sized rag underneath. You can lay the tank on its side on the ground with whatever gas is left in it. I had about 1/2 a gallon and it did not continue to leak.

Several others have had trouble with breaking the fuel pump by dropping the tank at this point. If it lands fuel pump down, you stand a good chance at breaking off that piece that you just removed the fuel line from. I did mine with the bike on the side standing on the low side with the tank rolled toward my body. Awkward to see but didn't have to worry too much about the tank. Alternatively, or for extra security, you could hook a bungie through one of the tank mounting tabs and around the handlebars.

This will take you about 5 minutes. Tops

Good luck,
Jonathan
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: How to easily remove the gas tank?   How to easily remove the gas tank? EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 12:14 pm

quote: Alternatively, or for extra security, you could hook a bungie through one of the tank mounting tabs and around the handlebars.

This is what I have done so the tank doesn't just fall. I had the tank slip from my hand and it pulled on the connections so I now add the bungie as extra insurance.

Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: How to easily remove the gas tank?   How to easily remove the gas tank? EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Here are some pics....

Levitating the fuel tank <-- linky

Fuel Tank change <-- linky
Scroll down a page or so.

How to easily remove the gas tank? 61865
Back to top Go down
thumpergirl

PostSubject: Re: How to easily remove the gas tank?   How to easily remove the gas tank? EmptyTue Jun 19, 2012 12:47 pm

awesome, thanks guys. :)
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: How to easily remove the gas tank?   How to easily remove the gas tank? EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 1:34 pm

I just removed tank today.

click me <-- go here - scroll down for pictures.

Gas does NOT leak from tank after disconnected from bike.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Carbomb

Carbomb

PostSubject: Re: How to easily remove the gas tank?   How to easily remove the gas tank? EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 8:23 pm

I've done it probably 10 times for various mod and maintenance reasons. First couple times are a pain, but you really can get the hang of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to easily remove the gas tank?   How to easily remove the gas tank? Empty

Back to top Go down

How to easily remove the gas tank?
Page 1 of 1