Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

How to stiffen up forks? Add more fluid?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
chuckP

How to stiffen up forks?  Add more fluid? Empty
PostSubject: How to stiffen up forks? Add more fluid?   How to stiffen up forks?  Add more fluid? EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 2:26 pm

I'm around 205lbs with gear. I feel the forks dive excessively when I get on the brakes. Yes, rear sag is dialed in :) I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what did you do? New fork spring? Has anyone tried just increasing the fluid level? Worthwhile? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: How to stiffen up forks? Add more fluid?   How to stiffen up forks?  Add more fluid? EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 2:52 pm

You'll need to go to a higher spring rate. Re-valving also helps considerably with the dive.

I've got the ohlins pistons/valves in my forks and I can't say enough good things about 'em.
Back to top Go down
millert85

PostSubject: Re: How to stiffen up forks? Add more fluid?   How to stiffen up forks?  Add more fluid? EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 6:39 pm

adding some oil may help bandaid your problem. it reduces the air gap and thus the cushioning effect at the beginning of the movement. add 15mL per leg and ride it, if you notice an improvement in the area you dont like great. you could even go another 15mL per leg, but if the 30mL isnt getting it done, strip them and get uprated springs.
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: How to stiffen up forks? Add more fluid?   How to stiffen up forks?  Add more fluid? EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Arkmage wrote:
You'll need to go to a higher spring rate. Re-valving also helps considerably with the dive.

I've got the ohlins pistons/valves in my forks and I can't say enough good things about 'em.

Did you do the work yourself?

I've always heard the stock springs are actually pretty stiff, the shocks are just under dampened. Any truth to this?

millert85 wrote:
adding some oil may help bandaid your problem. it reduces the air gap and thus the cushioning effect at the beginning of the movement. add 15mL per leg and ride it, if you notice an improvement in the area you dont like great. you could even go another 15mL per leg, but if the 30mL isnt getting it done, strip them and get uprated springs.

Thanks. I give the it a shot.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: How to stiffen up forks? Add more fluid?   How to stiffen up forks?  Add more fluid? EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 9:31 pm

chuckP wrote:

I've always heard the stock springs are actually pretty stiff, the shocks are just under dampened. Any truth to this?

I had mine done by Fast Bike Industries. I lack both the tools and the knowledge to do motorcycle suspensions. Maybe someday in my future.

When I had mine done I was 165 lbs with gear and pushing the upper end of what the stock springs were really good for per FBI. It was suggested that if I get too aggressive I may want to up the rear rate a bit.

I've since put on a little weight and I'm closer to 180lb with gear and it rides like a caddy down the road but it does seem under sprung in aggressive corners and off road. It does bottom out the rear on any jump/drop over about 18" as well.
Back to top Go down
Heoz

PostSubject: Re: How to stiffen up forks? Add more fluid?   How to stiffen up forks?  Add more fluid? EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 9:36 pm

I'm guessing that you already tried tweaking the compression damping. It wasn't mentioned so I figured I'd mention it. P 4-15 in the owner's manul.
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: How to stiffen up forks? Add more fluid?   How to stiffen up forks?  Add more fluid? EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 9:40 pm

Heoz wrote:
I'm guessing that you already tried tweaking the compression damping. It wasn't mentioned so I figured I'd mention it. P 4-15 in the owner's manul.

Yeah i have. I'm 3-4 clicks off full stiff on compression.
Back to top Go down
chuckP

PostSubject: Re: How to stiffen up forks? Add more fluid?   How to stiffen up forks?  Add more fluid? EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 9:47 pm

Arkmage wrote:
chuckP wrote:

I had mine done by Fast Bike Industries. I lack both the tools and the knowledge to do motorcycle suspensions. Maybe someday in my future.

When I had mine done I was 165 lbs with gear and pushing the upper end of what the stock springs were really good for per FBI. It was suggested that if I get too aggressive I may want to up the rear rate a bit.

I've since put on a little weight and I'm closer to 180lb with gear and it rides like a caddy down the road but it does seem under sprung in aggressive corners and off road. It does bottom out the rear on any jump/drop over about 18" as well.

Good info, thanks. My WR is mainly used on tarmac at the kart track and backroads. She rarely sees offroad use, aside from the occasional dirt trail. But that's because the rider lacks the skill to take it off any jumps or through technical stuff yet. lol.

I'll look into a set of springs for the forks, as well as the rear.

All i've found are these.. http://www.dollarrider.com/list.cfm?category_ID=81&model_ID=443

Any idea what the stock for springs are rated at?
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: How to stiffen up forks? Add more fluid?   How to stiffen up forks?  Add more fluid? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 8:09 pm

The rear is 7.7Kg/mm (430lb/in) stock. I'm not sure what's in the forks.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: How to stiffen up forks? Add more fluid?   How to stiffen up forks?  Add more fluid? EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 6:26 am

You can also try a heavy weight oil,but like others have said its just a quick fix. A revalve from http://fastbikeindustries.com/ is much better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to stiffen up forks? Add more fluid?   How to stiffen up forks?  Add more fluid? Empty

Back to top Go down

How to stiffen up forks? Add more fluid?
Page 1 of 1