Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Cheapest way to turn my r into an x??

Go down 
+3
motokid
Delta_T
shep546
7 posters
AuthorMessage
shep546

Cheapest way to turn my r into an x?? Empty
PostSubject: Cheapest way to turn my r into an x??   Cheapest way to turn my r into an x?? EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 7:40 pm

Hey guys,

I bought my 250r as my first motorcycle and love it, however unlike most guys on here I really enjoy street riding as opposed to heavy offroad use. I want to "supermoto" my bike in the cheapest way possible. I have seen the wheel kits wheelingcyclesupply for $1,000USD, plus tires, shipping to canada etc... that's pretty costly.

How close to a genuine supermoto feel would I be if I kept my stock wheels and put streetier tires on them? Like the avon distanzias I see a lot on here?

Is there a cheaper way to get a more supermoto feel?

thanks.
Back to top Go down
Delta_T

Delta_T

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest way to turn my r into an x??   Cheapest way to turn my r into an x?? EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 7:06 am

From what I understand is that the size of the wheels makes a big difference too. I ride street only and love the way it handles with those smaller wheels. The bigger brake is also a plus.

There are not many people who are wiling to trade X wheels for R ones so that option is out.

How about selling your R bike for a good price and buying an WR-X for the money you get for the R. With a bit of luck you won't be spending anything at all. It might work unless you bought your R new, in which case you would have to take a hit.

And if you plan on keeping your bike for a longer time, you could order it from wheelingsupply (they are probably best from what I've heard) and have them shipped to a US address (any friends there?) and save some on shipping and brokerage fees that way. Then drive your bike over and swap the wheels and drive back. That will save you tax. Then put you R wheels up for sale or bring them over to Canada. Mud them up if you bring them back, I doubt it that you will get in trouble crossing the border with one or two dirty used wheels in the back of your car/truck. If they check you, just say you bought them used from a friend for 50 bucks. Do you live near the border?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest way to turn my r into an x??   Cheapest way to turn my r into an x?? EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 8:21 am

The R has a 21 inch front and an 18 inch rear.

The front and rear rims are narrow compared to the X as well.

The issue is finding decent "street/supermoto" tires to fit those rims.

You won't have many options. Which means you won't have the real supermoto experience.

Plus - as mentioned earlier.....the front brake disc on your R is just way too small for serious street riding.

If you truly want an X you need 17's front and rear with the larger front brake disc.
That way you can get "TRUE" sportbike rubber on her.

A 120 front was what I had on my R1 sportbike.
Coupled with a 150 rear and the choices for premium street rubber are pretty substantial.

Unfortunately from what I've read, it's much easier to transition from X to R than it is to go from R to X.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
shep546

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest way to turn my r into an x??   Cheapest way to turn my r into an x?? EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 8:35 am

Delta_T wrote:
From what I understand is that the size of the wheels makes a big difference too. I ride street only and love the way it handles with those smaller wheels. The bigger brake is also a plus.

There are not many people who are wiling to trade X wheels for R ones so that option is out.

How about selling your R bike for a good price and buying an WR-X for the money you get for the R. With a bit of luck you won't be spending anything at all. It might work unless you bought your R new, in which case you would have to take a hit.

And if you plan on keeping your bike for a longer time, you could order it from wheelingsupply (they are probably best from what I've heard) and have them shipped to a US address (any friends there?) and save some on shipping and brokerage fees that way. Then drive your bike over and swap the wheels and drive back. That will save you tax. Then put you R wheels up for sale or bring them over to Canada. Mud them up if you bring them back, I doubt it that you will get in trouble crossing the border with one or two dirty used wheels in the back of your car/truck. If they check you, just say you bought them used from a friend for 50 bucks. Do you live near the border?

Sadly there's not many dual sports in my area so selling it isn't an option and I'm not even remotely close to the border... I think I'll just try and order the wheels online and get my tires put on here...

I wonder if the local dealerships or mechanics can order the wheels in so I wont get owned on shipping
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest way to turn my r into an x??   Cheapest way to turn my r into an x?? EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 8:37 am

You can get Bridgestone BattleAxe BT45 street tires in our WRR sizes. The problem is that isn't really a sport tire but more sport touring. Plus they skinny sizes don't really lend to aggressive riding. I came to the conclusion I am just saving up and buying some Warp9 wheels. You can save about $100 and go with stock size rotors or spend more and get the bigger rotor and caliper adapter. I haven't decided yet which route I am going. I originally planned to go with stock sizes to make changes faster but everybody keeps saying how much better the big brake is so I cam conflicted now haha.
Back to top Go down
dtx

dtx

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest way to turn my r into an x??   Cheapest way to turn my r into an x?? EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 6:43 pm

check e-bay as the wheels are starting to show up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-09-10-11-YAMAHA-OEM-WR250X-WR250R-FRONT-REAR-RIM-WHEEL-WHEELS-RIMS-2008-2009-/170798024558?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c45b076e&vxp=mtr
Back to top Go down
mudmojo

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest way to turn my r into an x??   Cheapest way to turn my r into an x?? EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 3:39 pm

This popped up in the classifieds (nothing to do with me, just thought I'd point it out)

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t7575-wheeling-cycle-x-setup-for-wr250r
Back to top Go down
R1-Dave

R1-Dave

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest way to turn my r into an x??   Cheapest way to turn my r into an x?? EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 2:32 pm

I have Distanzias on my R wheels. They are an awesome street tire but like the others have said, not like a real SM set-up. The brake is a big issue too, I am killing my stock front brake with the added grip of the Avons.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheapest way to turn my r into an x??   Cheapest way to turn my r into an x?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Cheapest way to turn my r into an x??
Page 1 of 1