Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Oil temperature range

Go down 
+2
bruno
bigg
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bigg

bigg

Oil temperature range Empty
PostSubject: Oil temperature range   Oil temperature range EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 2:32 pm

For a while now I have been toying with the idea of creating an indicator for the oil temperature for my little wrr. I am now starting to look further into the project to decide whether I should actually go ahead and try it out or not. Anyway I have a couple of questions you guys could help me with thumb

1. What temperature range should I use? I have a little microcontroller so I have a lot of control over what to do. I am planning on running 3 LEDs to the dash (yellow, green and red).
When the engine is very cold, I wanted all 3 leds to flash simultaneously. Up to this temperature, the bike should be ridden with lots of care.
Then the yellow light goes on, when the temperature is still low, but you can ride with no worries. Best not to put too much stress on the rotor though, no hard revving.
The green light for optimum operating temperature (aka ride it like you stole it). and the red when the oil is running too hot, so best to either slow down/give it a break, or stop to check if everything is still alright (like the oil window shattering GAHHHH ).
Anyway temp ranges? something like up to 50C (120F) all three lights flashing. Between 50 (120F) and 100 (210F), Yellow light is on. From 100 (210F) to 150 (300F) green light, and anything above that in red. I have spent quite some time on google trying to look up temperature, but could find nothing, so those are just wild guesses Very happy don't really have much experience on this topic. so suggestions would be great thumb

2. I have found some relatively cheap thermistors integrated in screws I can use. (previously just found some used for motorracing from Bosh for 250 euro! eeek ). Question, where to tap into the engine? I was thinking the oil drain screw, (which is M10 right?) as I found 2 good options for thermistors in an M10 screw with 2 different length (both should be good) (like this one 16mm long http://www.ebay.de/itm/NTC10K-Einschraubfuhler-M10-x-16-200-C-2-m-Silikon-NTC10K-/280835260987?pt=Mess_Pr%C3%BCftechnik&hash=item416316023b or 25mm long). However, how about the oil bleeder screw at the back of the cylinder? would that be an appropriate place? Also, is the oil bleeder screw an M8?? I think it is (haven't removed mine yet to check). Problem is, the screw I found for M8, is 40mm ( eeek ) long. http://www.ebay.de/itm/NTC-10k-Einschraubfuhler-M8x40-400-C-2-m-Sil-Sil-NTC-10k-/320898870102?pt=Mess_Pr%C3%BCftechnik&hash=item4ab7102b56
I think this would be too long for the bleeder screw? Can I cut off say, half the tip without damaging the sensor?? I think if possible the oil bleeder screw would be a better place as you just put it on once and don't have to worry about it. (would be annoying for the drain screw as you wouldn't be able to remove it/tighten it as easily due to the cable).

for microcontroller I found a good one thats got 16Mhz processor, 32256 Flash Memory and 2560 RAM Memory. So plenty for my purposes!

any input would be great! still haven't made up my mind if it would be totally useless (plus a huge waste of time) or if its worth trying.
Back to top Go down
bruno

bruno

PostSubject: Oil temp.   Oil temperature range EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 2:59 pm

My 2 cents,
If it was an 18 wheeler doing over a million miles - a necessity!
Our machines, with such an acute temperature variation, and considering the frequency that we change the oil, to be just to be on the safe side, .......
I think that you would just scare yourself to death with the readings.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Oil temperature range   Oil temperature range EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 3:45 pm

Why are you concerned about this?

Are you just in need of a hobby kinda thing to do?

Are you thinking of selling a kit to others?

As Bruno stated - I think it's completely un-necessary for our bikes.

But if you are just a tinkerer kinda guy with nothing else to tinker on.....by all means, I'd love to see what you come up with.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Oil temperature range   Oil temperature range EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 3:58 pm

Lets just say I'm a tinker kinda guy Very happy Very happy and there is nothing better to distract from studying then creating some sort of cool gizmo for my bike!

As far as the oil goes... I have just noticed that when the engine is still cold it doesn't run very smoothly (clunky gear changes, unresponsive to small input at low speeds), and noticed that on some mornings it takes 5 minutes to go away, on others 10 minutes, and it's good to know when you can really rev it up without having to worry about damaging something in the long run. (I guess "feeling" it like I have till now is just as accurate as a sensor, but then it's much cooler to have 3 leds on the dash Very happy ). Anyway as I said, project still up in the air, unsure if I should go on, just started to make some research and started to develop some bits of code.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Oil temperature range   Oil temperature range EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 4:08 pm

Perhaps you just need to change your oil weight when it gets colder.

amazon

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Oil temperature range   Oil temperature range EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 9:02 pm

Ahhh Germans, always trying to improve the perfect. Look at the 911!

I think it's a waste of time, this tiny engine is so reliable that adding something that adds wieght and complexity, etc is not needed. If you change the oil regularly, this engine will probably last longer than you will. :)
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Oil temperature range   Oil temperature range EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 9:26 pm

Not sure about what you want, but I would love to have a full array of temp, press, volt, amp readouts in any critical area.
Especially for troubleshooting on the trail. Sensors are cheap, and a simple computer to display all diagnostics on a motorcycle should be easily available by now.
There is no good reason for a good vehicle, nowadays, to need special diagnostic tools to service.
At least no tougher than a phone...

And if I was going to measure oil temp, it would either be at the critical spots... very difficult.
Or at the return to the pump, which would be your best average.
Back to top Go down
Heoz

PostSubject: Re: Oil temperature range   Oil temperature range EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 5:32 am

I guess you probably gave up on it by now but, another option for a place to tap in would be the top of the oil filter cover. Similar to what is in this thread: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/623104-oil-indicator-light/

A new cover is about $25 US. Probably a good idea to get a spare before you start messing with it.

I was also thinking that you could just tap into the coolant temp sensor to test out your gizmo.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil temperature range   Oil temperature range Empty

Back to top Go down

Oil temperature range
Page 1 of 1