Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Temperature of your morning commute

Go down 
+44
alexWR
wrrOH
rsteiger
stevep84
YZEtc
viperRT10
pbnut
dmmcd
skierd
coresports
firejosh
pantera1
HeliGuy
grw800
Fuzzy Wrench
Swagger
BlueAngel
Marylucky
Coop
dtx
xinsea
195CR
bobbytohn
IAmABug
sewerat
Yawny
oic0
k1973
Arkmage
bmwrider1946
Caan Saer
mrgeoff
kev1
GusinCA
TBird1
X-Racer
gumbycw
SheWolf
mordicai
sturgeon
Krabill
deerHater
bigg
motokid
48 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
motokid
motokid

Temperature of your morning commute Empty
PostSubject: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 6:33 am

Temperature of your morning commute Go_south_expat_fahrenheit_celcius_conversion_chart

What was the temperature during your morning commute today? (only report if you rode a motorcycle to work)

Weather.com said it was 38 F this morning. Which is roughly 3 C.

That's pushing my comfort limits as I don't have good cold weather riding pants. Just standard blue jeans this morning.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 7:08 am

My morning commute today was also about 4C so 39F.

However november is pretty nasty here with incredibly dense fog so that I pretty much arrive wet at uni.

I've got proper warm and waterproof gear though.

Respect to you sir for getting out there in jeans at that temp cheers

Anything below 18C (65F) and I'm getting out my riding pants, but without inner lining. That goes in at about 3C (38F)
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 7:41 am

To be fair, my commute is only about 15 minutes tops. Highest posted speed limit is 35mph along the route I take when on motorcycle.

Today I discovered that anything over 50mph was quite bitter.

I wear an MX helmet and goggles. The spots just under the goggles where my balaclava did not cover started to "burn" a bit over 50mph.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 8:54 am

motokid wrote:
To be fair, my commute is only about 15 minutes tops. Highest posted speed limit is 35mph along the route I take when on motorcycle.

Today I discovered that anything over 50mph was quite bitter.

I wear an MX helmet and goggles. The spots just under the goggles where my balaclava did not cover started to "burn" a bit over 50mph.
Full face helmet (flip-up so no fogging if/when stopped in traffic) + thin balaclava + full short beard + high collared coat = my comfort down to about -5 C.

For the rest:
- longjohns + jeans + overpants
- long sleve T-shirt + electric vest (BIG problem if fails!) + very light fleece + windproof moto jacket
- GOOD winter moto gloves.
- Leather moto boots with proper winter socks.

But my commute is only 10 minutes tops, so I don't bother in cold weather. I use the above for day rides in very early Spring and very late Fall.
Back to top Go down
Krabill

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 1:42 pm

38F for me this morning.

Heated grips, heated jacket, and heated gloves make the trip nice and toasty.
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 1:55 pm

I don't "commute", being retired and all, but last time I was out at that time of the morning (last weekend), it was snowing lightly and -3C.

Edit: Klim Traverse jacket and pants, "expedition-weight" long-johns and top, heated jacket, light-weight Primaloft "sweater", heated glove liners, Klim Powerxross gloves, heavy wool socks, Sidi Discoveries, lightweight balaclava. If I think it'll drop down much below -3C, I add another lightweight fleece under the jacket. Very comfy, although getting dressed is reminiscent of childhood wink
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 8:52 pm

58F this morning. San Diego is a fine place for year long riding. I used to live at 8,000 ft in western Colorado and some years when I had no truck or car I rode year around. 30 mph at-25 below zero gets your attention. xt550 Yamaha/
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 11:23 pm

-3º C...yay for heated stuff. Temperature of your morning commute 640571

gumbycw

PostSubject: Temperature for commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 1:05 am

Yep, it was -3 C here as well. I have a heated liner and gloves with a full face helmet for street riding. Toasty and nice!
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 1:46 am

The house temp was ~ 70 degrees F.

Outdoors was probably close to 60 degrees F.

Humidity ~ 85%.

Clothing: Dress shirt (buttoned), Arai XD3, MX gloves, jeans & light hikers (backpack W/laptop).

Travel distance : 2.5 miles

Travel time: 15-20 minutes.

Comfort level: Grade 3-5 (Yahoos on cell phones and close lane splitting @ 20 MPH).
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 5:29 am

44 degrees F today.

Definitely "warmer" than yesterday.
No deer sightings this morning either. thumb

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 10:42 am

X-Racer wrote:
The house temp was ~ 70 degrees F.

Outdoors was probably close to 60 degrees F.

Humidity ~ 85%.

Clothing: Dress shirt (buttoned), Arai XD3, MX gloves, jeans & light hikers (backpack W/laptop).

Travel distance : 2.5 miles

Travel time: 15-20 minutes.

That sounds like a commute from Hell........2.5 miles.........15 to 20 minutes.....You could have almost walked it faster

Comfort level: Grade 3-5 (Yahoos on cell phones and close lane splitting @ 20 MPH).
Back to top Go down
TBird1

TBird1

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 7:06 pm

40*F. It doesn't matter to me as I have the gear for any temps. I ride as long as the roads are clear!
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 8:06 pm

I always bring a heated vest wherever I ride. That just seems to make everything tolerable.
Back to top Go down
kev1

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 8:16 pm

33F THIS AM 15 MINUTE RIDE MOSTLY 45-55 MPH. FULL FACE, COAT, GOOD GLOVES
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 8:24 pm

mordicai wrote:
That sounds like a commute from Hell........2.5 miles.........15 to 20 minutes.....You could have almost walked it faster

Walking in LA ? .....only a nobody walks in LA.

...and I'd rather have a 2.5 miles up the beach than any miles on the 405 by LAX. You know that story.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 9:21 pm

I spent 7 years in L.A. traffic and finally had the good sense to get the hell out! You have my sympathy. On my bicycle that's about a 10 minte warmup.
Back to top Go down
mrgeoff

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 3:31 pm

The other day it was +5 degrees C in the UK, yay for heated grips.
Got a decent jacket, decent over trousers, OK boots, half town riding and half 70+mph for a total of 30 mins.

Without the heated grips, the hands just start to get cold in that weather.

I won't be riding when the temp drops below zero as they salt the roads too much here, turns any bike to rust and crud.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 6:32 am

42 F and very damp. Foggy in patches. Roads have that almost wet look in spots.
Afternoon temps supposed to be in mid to upper 60's today.

wings wings

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Caan Saer

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 8:40 am

been a couple of years since ive commuted and had the urge to be up before light to go anywhere in the cold but i would have gone into work if the bike had started on those 15 to 19 degree F morning. gerbings rock, warmer and faster to warm up than the heated seats in my whooptidu getoutback. darn harley battery just doesnt have the cca to fire at that temp as i learned twice.
sean
Back to top Go down
bmwrider1946

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 11:47 am

63 Degrees this morning - high of 80 today. We don't have the best back roads in the country but the weather this time of year can't be beat.
Back to top Go down
mordicai

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 12:22 am

bmwrider1946 wrote:
63 Degrees this morning - high of 80 today. We don't have the best back roads in the country but the weather this time of year can't be beat.

Unless you live in San Diego.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 6:32 am

41 F and damp again. Foggy patches where my goggles got that thin sheen of moisture build-up on the outside.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 9:32 am

48F when I left the house and 54F when I got to work. I don't have the liner in my centurion suit and most of the vents were open, standard gloves, and arai profile lid (open vents). I was just a touch on the cold side but not uncomfortably so. I suspect when it get's under 45 I'll need to start closing down air vents on my gear.

I want heated grips. It doesn't matter what kind of gloves I've had over the years, my finger tips always get cold and go numb. Heated grips/gloves are really my only option I think.
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 9:56 am

Arkmage wrote:
48F when I left the house and 54F when I got to work. I don't have the liner in my centurion suit and most of the vents were open, standard gloves, and arai profile lid (open vents). I was just a touch on the cold side but not uncomfortably so. I suspect when it get's under 45 I'll need to start closing down air vents on my gear.

I want heated grips. It doesn't matter what kind of gloves I've had over the years, my finger tips always get cold and go numb. Heated grips/gloves are really my only option I think.

Heated glove liners inside slightly oversize insulated gloves. The bit of extra air space really helps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Temperature of your morning commute   Temperature of your morning commute Empty

Back to top Go down

Temperature of your morning commute
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next