Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Carbon and Kevlar skidplate

Go down 
+10
xy500
Krispy
Norman Perez
lama
gas_pig70
Gany
bigg
crazy_dave
Arkmage
ongediertebestrijder
14 posters
AuthorMessage
ongediertebestrijder

Carbon and Kevlar skidplate Empty
PostSubject: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 11:04 am

I drive a 2008 WR250R and have on this moment a Flatland skid plate. I'm quite satisfied about the skid plate but don't like the fact that it vibrates.

I started searching on-line for s carbon fiber skid plate for the wr250r (which are used as well for f.e. dakar bikes) but couldn't find one so I started to look to companies that could produce such items (just out of interest).

I found a company, not far from where I live, that produces carbon fiber / Kevlar parts for rally cars and they are willing to make a few samples if there is a need. The owner of the company told me that the parts, known as carbon parts, are made from layers of Kevlar (which is the strong part of the plate, but yellowish of color) with a small layer of carbon on the side which you can see. The carbon part seems to have, according to the owner of the company, no additional features other than looks.

The production price of 5 pieces (the owner is willing to invest his time in this) of carbon fiber / Kevlar skid plates would be around 500 euro. The shape of the product would be similar to the aluminum ones but with round corners. I saw samples of other products they make and it looks very professional. This company is using modern technologies (including CNC robots for making holes and cutting the plates).

So what do you guys think of this product? Would this plate be of added value? Would someone be interested? Would there be a need to add carbon (would be more expensive)? For sure the weight of the product will be lower than the one of aluminium.

Looking forward to hear some suggestions and/or Ideas.

Johan
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 12:06 pm

To be honest with you, as cool as it sounds... I don't think I could justify paying more than twice the aluminum plate price for a carbon unit. More than $150 USD and I'm out.
Back to top Go down
ongediertebestrijder

PostSubject: Re: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 12:34 pm

One skid plate would cost in this case 100 euro (122 USD). I paid the same for my aluminium plate.
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

PostSubject: Re: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 12:40 pm

$122.00, is that with shipping to the US?
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Well seems to be fairly priced considering the apx plastic guard (http://en.axp-racing.com/n-777/Phd-Enduro-skid-plate-4-stokes-777/Phd-Enduro-skidplate-Black_axp-777-AX1037.html) costs 119 euro. Any chance of seeing any pictures of a plate (doen't have to be for the wrr) from this company or at least of the kevlar? can't really imagine what kind of tone this yellowish colour is supposed to be...
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 4:55 pm

ongediertebestrijder wrote:
One skid plate would cost in this case 100 euro (122 USD). I paid the same for my aluminium plate.

I misunderstood. I thought you meant 500 each not total for all 5 pieces.

I'd consider $122 USD pretty fair for a nice piece.
Back to top Go down
Gany

PostSubject: Re: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 6:16 pm

From my limited understanding, carbon is stiff but brittle, kevlar is strong but flexible. Hence the combination of the two either in carbon kevlar weave or in alternating layers gives you a rigid but strong piece. I have also heard cores being used to keep the expense of using multiple layers down. $100 euro for one is quite reasonable, 500euro for one wouldnt surprise me but no way i would pay that price.
I'd make sure the design that is modelled is the best you can find too, making sure all the right areas are protected as there is no welding extra bits on like some people have had to to protect things like the water pump.

There are several threads on advrider on the topic. Will try to find a link to one in particular i think would be of benefit.
Back to top Go down
Gany

PostSubject: Re: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 6:21 pm

Very long thread but a wealth of knowledge:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592734
Back to top Go down
ongediertebestrijder

PostSubject: Re: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 2:23 am

Thanks for the replies and for the link.. will get into it after work.

Shipping of one item (maximum of 1 kg) with normal post to USA, Germany, UK etc. would cost 17,50 euro (around 20USD).

The manufacturer didn't make items for motorbikes before but is specialized in car rally parts (mainly EVO 9&10). As well he produced the slide of an Olympic sledding team that won silver two years ago.

Here you see some samples of products they produced.
Carbon and Kevlar skidplate Filtrodeze
Carbon and Kevlar skidplate Wrx01
Carbon and Kevlar skidplate 9314

Any further suggestions are more than welcome :)
Back to top Go down
gas_pig70

gas_pig70

PostSubject: Re: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 am

I've had my Flatland skid plate on my '08 for 3yrs and it never vibrates. I took heed from other forum members and placed foam tape on the frame before bolting it up. It's done it's job we'll and never complains.
Back to top Go down
ongediertebestrijder

PostSubject: Re: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 7:15 am

Thanks for the comments. In the beginning of August, when I'm back from my business trip, I'll ask to produce a few pieces of Carbon fiber skid plates with a inner layer of Kevlar. Next to vibration issues (which can be solved I believe) the weight of the skid plate will be lower compared to an aluminum item. And I hope it will look better. If you don't try, you'll never know.
As soon as it's finished (and tested) I'll post it here.
Back to top Go down
lama

PostSubject: Re: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 2:59 pm

gas_pig70 wrote:
I've had my Flatland skid plate on my '08 for 3yrs and it never vibrates. I took heed from other forum members and placed foam tape on the frame before bolting it up. It's done it's job we'll and never complains.
+1. Never a problem
Back to top Go down
Norman Perez

PostSubject: Re: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 12:53 pm

VERY interested (money in hand) in one. Lets get it going. contact me directly at norman_perez @ me . com
Back to top Go down
Krispy

Krispy

PostSubject: Re: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 10:33 pm

+1 keen to see the final product
Back to top Go down
xy500

PostSubject: Re: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 11:28 pm

So what do you guys think of this product? Would this plate be of added value? Would someone be interested? Would there be a need to add carbon (would be more expensive)?
Johan
I'd be keen for one
Personally i don't see the need for any carbon whatsoever, Kevlar (Aramid) has awesome impact resistance - and that's what a skid plate is for, plus excellent strength.
To me carbon fiber is just used for show off value, exposed (visible) weave deteriorates badly in the sun anyway. It's too stiff a material for this application IMO.
It will need some sort of finish/paint to keep the fibers out of the UV rays though.
Back to top Go down
ongediertebestrijder

PostSubject: Re: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 9:51 am

It's good to see some more people are interested.
I'll be working on it soon and will inform as soon as there are updates. Can't promise much as other people have holidays.
Back to top Go down
ongediertebestrijder

PostSubject: Small update   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 8:58 am

Today I went with an example aluminum skid plate to the manufacturer. The manufacturer will make a rough mold. Next week I'll come with my motorbike. They will make a 3d scan of the motorbike and re-design the mold according to my wishes.

The skid plate will be made of 5 different layers. 3 carbon, 1 Kevlar (for stiffness) and 1 layer of 'visual' carbon. It will have a rather big hole to make oil change easy. We will try to reduce the amount of flat surfaces as round surfaces seem to be stronger in case of crashes. As well the amount of holes will be limited as it might reduce the strength of the skid plate.

He will produce in total 10 skid plates which should be ready between now and a month.

Updates I'll post here.
If there are any wishes I would be glad to hear them so that we could take it in consideration when designing the skid plate.

Johan
Back to top Go down
DeadmTrigger

PostSubject: Re: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 3:29 pm

Interested as well!

I'm tired of my flatland vibration noise.
Back to top Go down
xy500

PostSubject: Re: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 12:24 pm

any progress?
Back to top Go down
Just Bob

Just Bob

PostSubject: Re: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 12:37 am

Subscribed. Interested.
Back to top Go down
ongediertebestrijder

PostSubject: Re: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 9:53 am

No progress :(
The producer of the skid plate seems to be not motivated any more to help. He recalculated the price (two times higher because of mold which before he told it would be his costs) and it became a different story now. I'm trying to check how the price could be reduced (maybe higher production or use of different materials). It looks that there will not be any progress to the skid plates soon, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Dan893

PostSubject: Re: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 3:55 pm

No progress :(
The producer of the skid plate seems to be not motivated any more to help. He recalculated the price (two times higher because of mold which before he told it would be his costs) and it became a different story now. I'm trying to check how the price could be reduced (maybe higher production or use of different materials). It looks that there will not be any progress to the skid plates soon, unfortunately.

Thats a shame their not playing ball anymore. I'm still interested in one if you do happen to get them to make them at a resonable cost origionally quoted. I really like the carbon ones that you can get for the KTM's I have one for my SX and let me tell you they can take a beating. my 2 buddies run them one on his 450exc and 250xcf and my other friend has one on his 250exc and they have never cracked after taking a few blows by rocks or sliding over logs.
Back to top Go down
LordEndo

LordEndo

PostSubject: Vibration on flatline skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 8:53 pm

Just as an aside - if you buy a DH mountain bike tube (heavy duty), cut it in half and wrap around the frame and zip tie in place it takes care of all the vibration of the Flatline skid plate. I have zero vibration with mine.

Back to top Go down
Gany

PostSubject: Re: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate EmptySun Oct 05, 2014 1:43 am

Resurrecting an old thread, I have a friend who makes Carbon parts Down Under. His work is of high quality and has multiple parts recently rally tested at the Condo750 rally and Australasian Safari in Australia this year (including a crash that destroyed the roadbook however his fairing survived unscathed).

His website:
http://www.rallyraideng.com/
https://www.facebook.com/rallyRallyRaidENG

Here are some pics of a bash plate and water carrier he made for a KTM. KTM bash plate currently priced at $220AUD plus shipping.

Anybody still interested in one for the WR? I could see if he has a min qty to make a new design for the WR? A group buy could also reduce the international postage costs by sending to a single point of contact in the USA?

Carbon and Kevlar skidplate 5209649_orig
Water carrier for a rally bike:
Carbon and Kevlar skidplate 1525733_579860035453895_5927645111054165096_n
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carbon and Kevlar skidplate   Carbon and Kevlar skidplate Empty

Back to top Go down

Carbon and Kevlar skidplate
Page 1 of 1