Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

fmf FAILURE at 85 mph

Go down 
+7
PYG RYDR
crazy_dave
brendo
Coop
IAmABug
motokid
MadebyWales
11 posters
AuthorMessage
MadebyWales

MadebyWales

fmf FAILURE at 85 mph Empty
PostSubject: fmf FAILURE at 85 mph   fmf FAILURE at 85 mph EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 12:00 pm

Soo. I was on my morning commute and I heard my exhaust get a bit louder. At first i thought it was the difference of driving next to a concrete divider that made the change. NOPE all of a sudden, i went from being a little noisy to full A full blown terror. I had a few cars panic, as did I. By the time i could get to a stop, I realized half of my Q4 had blown off. Completely blown off at the mounting bracket back. Anyone ever hear of such a thing? I have never had it on it side, no problems up to this point with anything.
https://s1070.photobucket.com/albums/u489/MadebyWales/?action=view¤t=poo2.jpg

https://s1070.photobucket.com/albums/u489/MadebyWales/?action=view¤t=poo.jpg
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: fmf FAILURE at 85 mph   fmf FAILURE at 85 mph EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 12:14 pm

Wow....holy shit. eeek eeek eeek

That's crazy. Had you ever dropped bike on that side before?

Never heard of or seen anything like that. scratch

(no need to post same exact thing twice though.... hide )

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: fmf FAILURE at 85 mph   fmf FAILURE at 85 mph EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 12:14 pm

Are you going to send the pics to FMF. I would and I would bitch to...not that it would do much but you never know. That is bizarre bud
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: fmf FAILURE at 85 mph   fmf FAILURE at 85 mph EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 12:15 pm

Here's his pictures by the way.

fmf FAILURE at 85 mph Poo

fmf FAILURE at 85 mph Poo2

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: fmf FAILURE at 85 mph   fmf FAILURE at 85 mph EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 12:50 pm

Yikes.

Back to top Go down
brendo

PostSubject: Re: fmf FAILURE at 85 mph   fmf FAILURE at 85 mph EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 12:56 pm

warranty that shit!!!!
never even seen that before, lol
Back to top Go down
crazy_dave

crazy_dave

PostSubject: Re: fmf FAILURE at 85 mph   fmf FAILURE at 85 mph EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 1:18 pm

Ahh that should buff right out
Back to top Go down
PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR

PostSubject: Re: fmf FAILURE at 85 mph   fmf FAILURE at 85 mph EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 2:12 pm

crazy_dave wrote:

Same thing I was thinking! Very happy
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: fmf FAILURE at 85 mph   fmf FAILURE at 85 mph EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 3:11 pm

crazy_dave wrote:
poser2

I vote duct tape! wink
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: fmf FAILURE at 85 mph   fmf FAILURE at 85 mph EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 3:55 pm

Holy Shit!
I have never heard of anything even similar to that.
Definitely contact FMF

Back to top Go down
MadebyWales

MadebyWales

PostSubject: Re: fmf FAILURE at 85 mph   fmf FAILURE at 85 mph EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 9:31 pm

So I got my bike to work and since I work at Techshop, I was able to fab something up. NOT the prettiest thing in the world but its a dirt bike right? Please be easy on the welds I am not to hot at aluminum.

https://s1070.photobucket.com/albums/u489/MadebyWales/?action=view¤t=can.jpg
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: fmf FAILURE at 85 mph   fmf FAILURE at 85 mph EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 5:18 am

fmf FAILURE at 85 mph Can

(copy and paste the one that says [img] [/ img] around the text.)

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: fmf FAILURE at 85 mph   fmf FAILURE at 85 mph EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 7:28 pm

Rapid Dog wrote:
...sounds like someone repacked it and didn't rivet it properly...

It failed several inches from the rivets. Looks more like a stress failure at the mount. Same thing happened on my GYTR but the PO re-welded it before it actually ripped in two.

You're new setup looks similar to the Arrow units.
Back to top Go down
Swagger

Swagger

PostSubject: Re: fmf FAILURE at 85 mph   fmf FAILURE at 85 mph EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 8:26 pm

Not bad at all! Looks good! thumb Grind them welds, coat of exhaust paint, got yourself a one off exhaust!
Back to top Go down
xy500

PostSubject: Re: fmf FAILURE at 85 mph   fmf FAILURE at 85 mph EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 11:43 pm

apparently leaving it too long in between repacking can cause this, the extra load on the can causes stress fractures.
Back to top Go down
MadebyWales

MadebyWales

PostSubject: Re: fmf FAILURE at 85 mph   fmf FAILURE at 85 mph EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 2:45 pm

Should a moderator merge this with my what broke thread? Or should I Delete this thread? I posted in what broke also...... My bad
-B
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: fmf FAILURE at 85 mph   fmf FAILURE at 85 mph EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 5:53 pm

I think it's more appropriate in the pipe 'n programmers than what broke. Maybe that's just me. Besides, this is the longer of the two threads anyways.

Also, I agree xy500. If it's packed too loose or goes too long between packings this could certainly happen. Combination of heat build up (the packing keep the heat in the gas instead of the can) and extra weight at the end of the muffler (the packing smashes up against the end cap),
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fmf FAILURE at 85 mph   fmf FAILURE at 85 mph Empty

Back to top Go down

fmf FAILURE at 85 mph
Page 1 of 1