Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Chain dead - I think? "Red Dust"

Go down 
+3
YZEtc
Coop
canyon63
7 posters
AuthorMessage
canyon63

Chain dead - I think?  "Red Dust" Empty
PostSubject: Chain dead - I think? "Red Dust"   Chain dead - I think?  "Red Dust" EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 2:51 pm

I was just wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience or could shed some light on this. Thanks!

I started to no notice red dust on my chain and around the front sprocket. When I searched around it seemed like the most common consensus was that
when the rubber seal rings wear out, the sealed-in lubricant dries out and turns into a red dust. Anyway, I ordered a new sprocket set and chain, the parts are arriving today so I went ahead and took the old stuff off and this is what it looked like. Here are some pictures;

Front sprocket removed
Chain dead - I think?  "Red Dust" Chain1
Front sproket, showing the side that faces the engine
Chain dead - I think?  "Red Dust" Chain2
Chain
Chain dead - I think?  "Red Dust" Chain3
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Chain dead - I think? "Red Dust"   Chain dead - I think?  "Red Dust" EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 5:02 pm

Wow I've never seen that before. How old is the chain and how many miles on it?

Make sure you check your slider out while you have the chain off.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Chain dead - I think? "Red Dust"   Chain dead - I think?  "Red Dust" EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 7:54 pm

Probably more like rust from the used-to-be sealed pin/bushing joint.
That means steel is being galled and worn away from the pins and bushings.
The chain is toast.
Back to top Go down
canyon63

PostSubject: Re: Chain dead - I think? "Red Dust"   Chain dead - I think?  "Red Dust" EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 9:34 pm

YZEtc wrote:
Probably more like rust from the used-to-be sealed pin/bushing joint.
That means steel is being galled and worn away from the pins and bushings.
The chain is toast.

After pulling the chain off, yes that's exactly what it was.
I just wasn't sure, total chain newbie! 10,000 miles or so, stock chain, slider and sprokets.

Pin pushed out, ugly.

Chain dead - I think?  "Red Dust" IMG_5904

Coop wrote:
Wow I've never seen that before. How old is the chain and how many miles on it?

Make sure you check your slider out while you have the chain off.

Slider, toast. Almost completely worn through :( thx for the reminder

Chain dead - I think?  "Red Dust" IMG_5902

New 13/47 combo with RK chain :)

Chain dead - I think?  "Red Dust" IMG_5906
Back to top Go down
grnd0

PostSubject: Re: Chain dead - I think? "Red Dust"   Chain dead - I think?  "Red Dust" EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 9:48 pm

thumb
Back to top Go down
canyon63

PostSubject: Re: Chain dead - I think? "Red Dust"   Chain dead - I think?  "Red Dust" EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 12:38 am

On a side note: going from 13/42 to 13/47 all I can say is ME GUSTA! Lofts the front tire easy in first with no clutch, floats the front tire in 2nd :)
All the gears seem like their positioned much better in the power band too. The speedometer is way off, but when wasn't it right? Anyone selling a 12 O'clock?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chain dead - I think? "Red Dust"   Chain dead - I think?  "Red Dust" EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 5:30 pm

Yeah I got that Red Dust/Rust as well.... I've burned thru 3 chains now (19,887miles).

I've seen happen on all 3 chains, and when I was running 13/42-rear stock,

the chain ate the plastic guard on top of the swingarm and the plastic chain support underneath.

Replaced those twice now too. Worst part was the bottom bolt female part on the case got grinded down too.

Lot of damage with a 13/42 with DID 520-VT2 set up. I would not recommend this to anyone!
Back to top Go down
jon_l

jon_l

PostSubject: Re: Chain dead - I think? "Red Dust"   Chain dead - I think?  "Red Dust" EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 2:12 pm

I would clean off the red dust so you know any that appears in the future is from the new chain.

Curious - how do you maintain the chain? I haven't had my WRR long, so don't know how the chain will last. I clean and lube my chain with a nylon brush & Varsol, then wipe it down with a rag, followed by spray lube. I do this after every ride in the rain, water-crossing or (infrequent) washing, and if ridden in dry conditions, every 2-3 weeks.

I have a new seal guard on-hand, for when I need it.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Chain dead - I think? "Red Dust"   Chain dead - I think?  "Red Dust" EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 5:32 pm

Indeed I am curious about you chain maintenance as well!

I now have 12,000 miles on my stock chain.

I lube my chain once a week (when used for commuting), and after each ride if it involved mud/dirt/sand. Also once a month or so, i remove all the old lube, dirt, crap. get it shiny and then lube again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chain dead - I think? "Red Dust"   Chain dead - I think?  "Red Dust" EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 10:34 pm

Wait... I meant 14-aftermarket/42-rear stock is what caused the damage... and now going back to 13 front and want to try 47 rear...

As far as chain maintenance, I clean it once a week with kerosene deal and a brush, then rinse and lube with chain lube and wipe off excess.

Chain life depends a lot on how you ride... Each chain I had varied,with about 5000+ miles or so being the average. (when said red dust shows up.)

However, I ride it like I stole it, so I've gone through 4 sets of tires, 3 chains, 2 chain supports & 2 guard sliders, front & rear brakes, and 3 sets of sprockets.

I commute around 50-75 miles a day, 6 days a week. equals out to about 7,000 miles a year give or take. Odometer hit 20,000 today!:duh:

I will post pics to show the damage... Nevertheless, this little single-cylinder motor can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. cheers

And I still average about 58mpg's on the pipe all day long!

Long story short-Your chain is dead as Lance Armstongs' career!!! poser2
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

PostSubject: Re: Chain dead - I think? "Red Dust"   Chain dead - I think?  "Red Dust" EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 12:21 pm

canyon63- not wanting to hijack but can you let me know what those good looking foot pegs are ? IMS??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chain dead - I think? "Red Dust"   Chain dead - I think?  "Red Dust" Empty

Back to top Go down

Chain dead - I think? "Red Dust"
Page 1 of 1