Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Cracked mid-pipe; weld?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
expatbrit

Cracked mid-pipe; weld? Empty
PostSubject: Cracked mid-pipe; weld?   Cracked mid-pipe; weld? EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 11:07 pm

Sooo...

Used WR250X. Bought with a full Graves, PCV/AT set up.

Oil change prior to a track day over the weekend, so had the bike kicked over on it's side to replace the oil filter cover gasket after the bugger leaked on me.

Noticed that the mid-pipe (secondary collector??) on the Graves is cracked, and pretty badly too. Contacted Graves; no option to just replace the cracked section, sadly, but have to replace the whole system. They've been really good; I'm the second owner, and they've been really responsive and as helpful as one can ask, but a whole new system is a bit more than I was hoping to spend to replace the midpipe.

I'm left with a few options. Buy the whole Graves and replace, buy an alternate and replace (the Leo Vince X3 looks tasty and gets me a sparky, which would be nice if I ever get the cash to get Warp 9 dirt wheels for the thing as I planned when I bought it), or weld up the Graves.

I'm leaning towards the last, at least as a temporary fix -- however much the X3 tempts me, I'd still have to replace the rest of the system with the stocker, etc, and add weight and cost. I just don't know how durable a fix it will be, and if I might not be better getting an alternate solution.

First -- are any other headers out there with the bung pre-welded on?

Second -- given than I have a PCV, can I just buy (say) the X3 and sling it on the Graves header, get the bike on a dyno and the AFR set and good to go?

Third -- would you just weld it up and go on? :)

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Cracked mid-pipe; weld?   Cracked mid-pipe; weld? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 5:44 am

Post pictures please.

I'd go with a weld first. See if that works. Assuming the damaged section isn't that bad. (which is why I asked for pictures)

Also, it's beyond normal for the oil filter cover to look like it's leaking after an oil change.

I believe this is the cause for many broken oil filter cover bolts.

A few small drips are to be expected. Then things usually settle in.

Be SUPER careful on the torque with those butter-soft bolts.

If you only see a small drop or two of oil collecting on the bottom of the filter cover, and only when the bike is running,
just wipe away the drips and watch it for a small time. You may be fine.

So - how about some pics of the header and those cracks?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Cracked mid-pipe; weld?   Cracked mid-pipe; weld? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:57 am

Is the Graves pipe stainless? I would weld it. Actually, I would have my good friend weld it as he is much better than I am... Very happy
Back to top Go down
expatbrit

PostSubject: Re: Cracked mid-pipe; weld?   Cracked mid-pipe; weld? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 1:45 pm

motokid wrote:
Post pictures please.

I'd go with a weld first. See if that works. Assuming the damaged section isn't that bad. (which is why I asked for pictures)

Also, it's beyond normal for the oil filter cover to look like it's leaking after an oil change.

I believe this is the cause for many broken oil filter cover bolts.

A few small drips are to be expected. Then things usually settle in.

Be SUPER careful on the torque with those butter-soft bolts.

If you only see a small drop or two of oil collecting on the bottom of the filter cover, and only when the bike is running,
just wipe away the drips and watch it for a small time. You may be fine.

First time around I'd nailed the o-ring and it was worse; did set it with the torque wrench and it's fine the second time around. I read a few of the threads on here about it, so was pretty damn careful not to torque 'em down too hard!

So kick it over in the driveway, replace the o-ring, test it out and I was and am fine now. Love owning a torque wrench. :)

Quote :

So - how about some pics of the header and those cracks?

Coming up soon. Got to pull 'em off the phone.
Back to top Go down
expatbrit

PostSubject: Re: Cracked mid-pipe; weld?   Cracked mid-pipe; weld? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 2:32 pm

Right. Here we go:

Cracked mid-pipe; weld? Photo%20Sep%2004%2C%2018%2009%2006

Crack runs from the support bracket around:

Cracked mid-pipe; weld? Photo%20Sep%2004%2C%2019%2014%2036

Cracked mid-pipe; weld? Photo%20Sep%2004%2C%2019%2014%2019
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Cracked mid-pipe; weld?   Cracked mid-pipe; weld? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 4:21 pm

If that were mine, I'ld get it welded.
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Cracked mid-pipe; weld?   Cracked mid-pipe; weld? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 4:31 pm

That looks like a really strange place for a crack. Does it begin at a weld point or stress riser? Maybe weld a collar over it rather than just welding the crack.

I would send the photos to Graves and claim a material defect or something in the pipe, because that looks unusual.
Back to top Go down
expatbrit

PostSubject: Re: Cracked mid-pipe; weld?   Cracked mid-pipe; weld? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 5:49 pm

dmmcd wrote:
That looks like a really strange place for a crack. Does it begin at a weld point or stress riser? Maybe weld a collar over it rather than just welding the crack.

I would send the photos to Graves and claim a material defect or something in the pipe, because that looks unusual.

I sent it to Graves, but they can't just supply a mid-pipe. I'm the second owner, too, so not like they really have much obligation to me.

It starts at the weld where the bracket to attach the mid-pipe to the passenger footpeg mount. Actually goes both ways from there; the crack on the outside is smaller, but it's bloody tricky to photograph the other without demounting the exhaust. (You can just see it in the second photo, actually, but not clearly...)
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Cracked mid-pipe; weld?   Cracked mid-pipe; weld? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:49 pm

I'd find a local welder.

or - JB Weld and some pipe wrap.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Cracked mid-pipe; weld?   Cracked mid-pipe; weld? EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 1:07 am

Ideally take it to someone with a TIG welder. Although a MIG would work. If done proper, it should be fine. I would get it welded for sure.
Back to top Go down
expatbrit

PostSubject: Re: Cracked mid-pipe; weld?   Cracked mid-pipe; weld? EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 6:30 pm

IAmABug wrote:
Ideally take it to someone with a TIG welder. Although a MIG would work. If done proper, it should be fine. I would get it welded for sure.

I'll check with the local bike stores, see what they recommend.

Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Cracked mid-pipe; weld?   Cracked mid-pipe; weld? EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 7:17 pm

A TIG weld would be ideal...of course a decent welder does his thing.
You could MIG it in a pinch...again a decent welder...
Find a shop thats been around a while and has a decent gear to work with.
...a custom exhaust fabricator would be ideal...but a fabricator/welder with the skills and gear could help too.
Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
expatbrit

PostSubject: Re: Cracked mid-pipe; weld?   Cracked mid-pipe; weld? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 11:59 am

Dismounted it to take to the exhaust fabricator; good guys witha good rep; see what they say.

Cracked mid-pipe; weld? 2012-09-17%2008.56.59

Cracked mid-pipe; weld? 2012-09-17%2008.56.53

Cracked mid-pipe; weld? 2012-09-17%2008.56.44
Back to top Go down
mucker

mucker

PostSubject: Re: Cracked mid-pipe; weld?   Cracked mid-pipe; weld? EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 10:00 pm

Seems like the weld is the only blemish in the crack.
I would pressume the weld was the source of the fault/crack...probably a little too much penetration on that end...imo

Bad luck I guess...whether the welding , or the pipe itself...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cracked mid-pipe; weld?   Cracked mid-pipe; weld? Empty

Back to top Go down

Cracked mid-pipe; weld?
Page 1 of 1