Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Luggage.... which kind?

Go down 
+6
LordEndo
Opie
bsheet2
Coop
Pokey
Huron52
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Huron52

Luggage.... which kind? Empty
PostSubject: Luggage.... which kind?   Luggage.... which kind? EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 8:16 pm

I am looking to get some sort of luggage. The two that I am looking at are hard cases by say:

http://www.happy-trail.com/Yamaha-WR250R/Aluminum-Panniers-Teton-WR250R.aspx

OR to go soft stuff like say this:

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Racks/index_Side_Racks.html

with say this:

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expedition/expd_dry_saddle_bags.html

I have hard bags on my FJR and I like them but off road I'm not 100% sure off hard bags. I know I have seen them on the big adventure bikes like the BMWGS1200 say.

So which do you have and why did you pick that?
Back to top Go down
Pokey

Pokey

PostSubject: Re: Luggage.... which kind?   Luggage.... which kind? EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 6:25 am

Tail rack with a nice big tail bag works best IMHO on a dual sport.
Back to top Go down
Coop

Coop

PostSubject: Re: Luggage.... which kind?   Luggage.... which kind? EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 6:27 am

I used to have a BMW F650GS with hard luggage and it was really nice to be able to lock stuff when commuting or on trips. I haven't put any luggage other than a small pelican tail box on the WRR. I really like the Wolfman stuff, I hear it can take a lot of abuse. I guess it just depends on what type of riding you think you want to do.

Lots of posts in the luggage section on this site, have you checked that out?
Back to top Go down
bsheet2

bsheet2

PostSubject: luggage   Luggage.... which kind? EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 10:33 am

If all you will do is gravel roads and easy forest service roads, hard cases are fine. If you get in to some rougher terrain. you will enjoy stayting lighter with water proof soft bags. Aluminum cases weigh 10 lbs each at least. That is 20 to 25 extra lbs you have to carrry and pick up if you drop the bike.

I have the Wolf Man luggage racks and use water proof duffle bags strapped to them, 30 liters each. Wolf Man yellow tail bag on top, 30 to 40 liters. This works fine. But the Wolf Man soft side bags (20 to 25 liters each) are set up to allow you to access the bags while still strapped to the luggage rack. THis can be nice.

This photo is from a 2600 mile trip I finished in July. Taken in the big empty area of Wyoming. I was glad I stayed light on this trip. We got into some pretty rough stuff. We camped 10 of the 13 nights during this ride. I had pleanty of storage space. The 20 to 25 liter Wold MAn side bags would have been fine.

Luggage.... which kind? 6d9

This photo is from Big Bend NAtional PArk. The yellow side bags on the one WRR are the Wolf MAn side bags. Luggage.... which kind? WR%20heaven
Back to top Go down
Opie

PostSubject: Re: Luggage.... which kind?   Luggage.... which kind? EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 12:31 am

The biggest advantage of soft luggage is less weight and less likely to cause serious injury in a crash, especially while riding off road. When I owned a KLR, I outfitted it with HT racks (front and rear) and Pelican side cases. The additional weight was not helpful. For the WRR, I went with the Wolfman setup. I'm impressed with the build quality of the racks and the bags, plus it hasn't damaged the off road capability.

Here's my WRR with the Wolfman setup.

Luggage.... which kind? 7283882688_92c895341a_c

The downside of soft luggage is that it's not nearly as secure, but the Wolfman bags are quick to remove. Quicker than the HT with Pelicans, even.
Back to top Go down
LordEndo

LordEndo

PostSubject: Mojavi saddlebag - Giant Loop   Luggage.... which kind? EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 8:58 pm

I have the Mojavi mounted on my WR250R. Excellent fit and easy to take on and off. They say it's only good for day trips. I don't quite fill them, but it's probably not good for much more than a weekend if you use a pack and possibly a tank bag.

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/products/mojavitm-saddlebag
Back to top Go down
jon_l

jon_l

PostSubject: Re: Luggage.... which kind?   Luggage.... which kind? EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 12:07 pm

OP - state what you plan to do so we can make useful suggestions. Type of riding, amount of gear.

Aside from what has been posted already re: weight, potential damage when you fall, note that soft luggage is usually a lot cheaper.
Back to top Go down
Arkmage

PostSubject: Re: Luggage.... which kind?   Luggage.... which kind? EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 6:15 pm

jon_l wrote:
OP - state what you plan to do so we can make useful suggestions. Type of riding, amount of gear.

Aside from what has been posted already re: weight, potential damage when you fall, note that soft luggage is usually a lot cheaper.

Only downside I can see to soft luggage is security if used for commuting. I'm just trying to decide if I'm going with wolfman panniers or giant loop coyote.
Back to top Go down
donutbiker

PostSubject: Re: Luggage.... which kind?   Luggage.... which kind? EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 3:34 am

i went with GL coyote. I zip tie the coyote to my bike and pad locked the zippers. I also use a bike cover when parking overnight.

do note that Coyote is not water proof ( some water do get in from the zips), please pack your stuff in water proof innner bags.

I also hava 2 krieger to expand my storage if i need to.

photos can be seen in the tire thread for D603.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Luggage.... which kind?   Luggage.... which kind? EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 8:39 am

A lot depends on the riding you want to do. I have a combo of hard top case and soft side bags. My top case is 33 L, side bags are I think 46 L expandable to about 60 L.

I have had custom mounts made by a local welder. For about 150 Euro I got a pretty good deal. Very nicely done, very sturdy. All removable within 15 minutes with a couple bolts (no holes through fender or anything like that).

Luggage.... which kind? Immag053
Luggage.... which kind? Immag054
Luggage.... which kind? Immag055

For primarily road usage, it's a very good combo. it's still ok for some light duty off roading / fire roads. if I plan some more serious off road, I go without hard top. it's too far up and behind the bike that it affects handling too much. In that case I only use the side bags (they hang low and close to the COG so they don't affect the handling too much when the going gets tough. if the bags aren't enough, I strap some things to the seat or light things onto the rear rack. but no top case. I don't like how it handles off road with it, but that may be because I am a pretty crappy off road rider Very happy Very happy

Luggage.... which kind? Immag056
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Luggage.... which kind?   Luggage.... which kind? Empty

Back to top Go down

Luggage.... which kind?
Page 1 of 1