Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Drill holes in Renthal Fatbar to accommodate stock controls?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cutthroat Bill

Cutthroat Bill

Drill holes in Renthal Fatbar to accommodate stock controls? Empty
PostSubject: Drill holes in Renthal Fatbar to accommodate stock controls?   Drill holes in Renthal Fatbar to accommodate stock controls? EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 10:02 am

I'm currently working on installing Renthal Fatbars on my WR250R, and I've noticed that the stock bar has some holes on the right side. The right hand controls have a couple of taps that's supposed to go into these holes to prevent the hole control unit from moving as I twist the throttle.

So my question is; is it ok to drill holes in the new fatbar? Or do I have to remove those tabs on the control units? And if I do remove those tabs, will the control units stay in place?

Edit: Let me know if you guys want me to upload photos of said holes and tabs.
Back to top Go down
KLRchickie

PostSubject: Re: Drill holes in Renthal Fatbar to accommodate stock controls?   Drill holes in Renthal Fatbar to accommodate stock controls? EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 10:41 am

Personally, I think getting the holes drilled in exactly the right spot would be a major pain in the ass.

A utility knife makes short work of the little tabs & allows you to get the controls adjusted just where you like them. In some crashes the controls do move, but that's better than them breaking because they can't rotate due to the tabs!
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Drill holes in Renthal Fatbar to accommodate stock controls?   Drill holes in Renthal Fatbar to accommodate stock controls? EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 12:11 pm

I personally wouldn't drill holes. Makes a weak spot. Cut the tabs off.
Back to top Go down
Cutthroat Bill

Cutthroat Bill

PostSubject: Re: Drill holes in Renthal Fatbar to accommodate stock controls?   Drill holes in Renthal Fatbar to accommodate stock controls? EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 1:37 pm

Thanks for the input, guys. I've removed the tabs as suggested. The installation is not yet complete, though. I've had some issues with the bar clamps that still needs some attention. I'll post a picture when it's done.

I've got one more question about the bars. Is it ok to cut the bars down? Renthal's website says not to, but I don't know why I shouldn't, other than that I'll ruin the coating. And that shouldn't weaken the bars, I'd think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drill holes in Renthal Fatbar to accommodate stock controls?   Drill holes in Renthal Fatbar to accommodate stock controls? Empty

Back to top Go down

Drill holes in Renthal Fatbar to accommodate stock controls?
Page 1 of 1