Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

WRR with 17" supermoto wheels - Good suspension settings?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
StreetNewbie

WRR with 17" supermoto wheels - Good suspension settings? Empty
PostSubject: WRR with 17" supermoto wheels - Good suspension settings?   WRR with 17" supermoto wheels - Good suspension settings? EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 7:08 pm

I have put 17" supermoto wheels/tires on my WRR and am looking for advice on setting the suspension up. I am short 5'8" and weigh about 160lbs. I installed a Yamalink and I lowered the front end down about 3/8". I do not race, i just like to ride and push through some twisties now and then.

I am pretty dumb and thought by adjusting the threaded rings on top of the spring that it would lower the bike (I have had coilovers on my Audi for years and just thought it was the same without reading first). I just discovered that what I did does not change the ride height. I firmed up the front shocks a bit and am happy with how they feel. I am new to riding on the street and am curious how others with the SM wheels like their settings. I dont want to worry that a bump or small pothole is going to send me bouncing around but I would like it firm enough to push it sometimes.

Anybody had any experience setting things too stiff and making small bumps/potholse hard to ride over?
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: WRR with 17" supermoto wheels - Good suspension settings?   WRR with 17" supermoto wheels - Good suspension settings? EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 7:28 am

Welcome!

The preload adjusters aren't for setting ride height. Do that by dropping the triples in front and lowering links in the rear. There's also a small amount of height adjustment available on the rear, I believe on the bottom of the shock. It's been so long, I don't remember.

Preload adjusters are for setting sag. Don't quote me, but I believe the target is 30% sag when sitting on the bike in full gear, as compared to the fully extended suspension. Others may chime in.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: WRR with 17" supermoto wheels - Good suspension settings?   WRR with 17" supermoto wheels - Good suspension settings? EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 7:51 am

The accepted rule of thumb for a motorcycle with long-travel rear suspension is to adjust the spring preload to achieve a use of 1/3 of total wheel travel with the rider aboard.
With a WR-250R, that equals 3.5 inches.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WRR with 17" supermoto wheels - Good suspension settings?   WRR with 17" supermoto wheels - Good suspension settings? Empty

Back to top Go down

WRR with 17" supermoto wheels - Good suspension settings?
Page 1 of 1