Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Which programmer to buy.

Go down 
+3
YZEtc
skrew
mcdoudlehopper
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

Which programmer to buy. Empty
PostSubject: Which programmer to buy.   Which programmer to buy. EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 10:25 pm

So this question hasnt been asked for 2 years so here I go. WHICH PROGRAMMER? Im kinda cheep (lol and I own a WR) and was set to buy the FMF. I was just looking to confirm my thinking of dont waste your time with the other cheaper ones like LEXX or WIESCO. Does anyone have experiance with the GYTR FI Programmer?
Back to top Go down
skrew

PostSubject: Re: Which programmer to buy.   Which programmer to buy. EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 3:50 am

Just go with original product from Dobeck - http://electronicjetkit.com/DirtBike/viewproduct.asp?partnumber=9310207
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Which programmer to buy.   Which programmer to buy. EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 10:06 pm

Never heard of this one. I wish there was a picture.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Which programmer to buy.   Which programmer to buy. EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 5:45 am

The Dobeck looks like the FMF Power Programmer with a different label stuck to it.
That's because this company makes the FMF version, and as far as I know, any others sold under different brands that have the same shape to it.

I had the FMF version on two bikes - a 2008 WR-250R and a 2008 WR-250X.
They both worked just fine and were easy to get because motorcycle parts retailers everywhere in the USA sell FMF products through many distributors.

I also used a Power Commander lll on the 2008 WR-250R for a short while, but removed it when it went kaput mid-ride, and if it quits working, the bike won't run at all until you remove the faulty unit, at least in my case.
Take my experience with a grain of salt if you want.

As far as I know, the programmers for a WR-250R sold through Yamaha's accessory catalogue are a total of two to choose from:
Dynojet Power Commander lll.
Dynojet Power Commander V, with an optional Auto Tune add-on.

The GYT-R brand programmer is for these two bikes:
2010 - 2013 YZ-450F
2012 - 2013 WR-450F, and with this bike, you must purchase the optional "race" ECU.

This GYT-R programmer doesn't stay on the bike while you ride it, but is used only while changing the settings of the ECU.
Nice, but this is not how the WR-250R works as the programmer is always attached to the bike while in use.
Back to top Go down
skrew

PostSubject: Re: Which programmer to buy.   Which programmer to buy. EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 11:13 am

Also google for Yoshimura PIM2 controller. It seems to be most expensive one on the market. But may be it worth every buck.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Which programmer to buy.   Which programmer to buy. EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 9:55 pm

Thanks for the info YZEtc. Sounds to me like that Dobeck is the way to go!! Escpeciallly if they make the FMF and it is the same price. Let me run this by you though, I'm most likely gonna buy a Q4 so should I just get the FMF and the FMF? Kinda what I was thinking or does this one have better features?
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Which programmer to buy.   Which programmer to buy. EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 5:30 am

Myself, I'd get the two FMF branded products and be done with it.

I know of no great feature that makes one brand programmer better than the other.
Also, as far as I know, the vast majority of riders who are running a programmer use the FMF version.

The Q4 muffler seems to be the most popular used by WR-250R and WR-250X riders.
Back to top Go down
novaks47

PostSubject: Re: Which programmer to buy.   Which programmer to buy. EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 6:14 pm

Keep an eye on ebay, as there are some good vendors on there that regularly sell the FMF tuners for $180-190. Just make sure that it is the one for our WR's, or you'll be making connector adapters. lol I'll be getting mine off there when the time comes.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Which programmer to buy.   Which programmer to buy. EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 10:39 pm

Guess I'm staying all FMF '''''''''''''Programmer, Q4, Header
Back to top Go down
pfy50

pfy50

PostSubject: Programmer choices   Which programmer to buy. EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 11:37 pm

If you haven't made your purchase yet you might give Attitude Industries a look. It is owned by the brother(Derek) of the guy that runs Dobeck Eng. Derek has an advanced design from the standard FMF type FI programmer. Here's a link: http://www.tunewithattitude.com/products.php?pr=37

ps. I bought an FMF programmer first and had problems with it cutting out every so often it became annoying. It would just stop sending fuel for a split second then start again; but it was starting to occur more often. What was good was Derek @ Attitude Ind. has a program if you trade in your old programmer from another company he discounts $100.00 off his programmer price.
Paul
Back to top Go down
Fuzzy Wrench

Fuzzy Wrench

PostSubject: Re: Which programmer to buy.   Which programmer to buy. EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 2:40 am

I run the Twin Brothers Juice Box.....runs fine with the FMF exhaust....works with Power Commander fuel maps also...

http://www.twobros.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=001-244
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Which programmer to buy.   Which programmer to buy. EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 11:44 am

Picked up an FMF programmer on E-bay for 100 bucks. Was only used one year and taken off. Guy thought exhaust was too load and went back stock. Exhaust went to his buddy and I believe I got a good deal. It will be here next week. cheers
Back to top Go down
dmmcd

dmmcd

PostSubject: Re: Which programmer to buy.   Which programmer to buy. EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 1:32 pm

mcdoudlehopper wrote:
Picked up an FMF programmer on E-bay for 100 bucks. Was only used one year and taken off. Guy thought exhaust was too load and went back stock. Exhaust went to his buddy and I believe I got a good deal. It will be here next week. cheers

Good deal! You can join our discussion over here once you get it installed:

https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t567-the-official-fi-mapping-area
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Which programmer to buy.   Which programmer to buy. EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 3:40 pm

Yes indeed I need to start studying up on some FI mapping and get some numbers to start off with. The problem is we have 3 ft of snow and bike wont be out till April, March if we are lucky. We always end up getting a St. Patricks Day snow storm. :( GAHHHH baldy baldy baldy baldy baldy baldy baldy baldy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which programmer to buy.   Which programmer to buy. Empty

Back to top Go down

Which programmer to buy.
Page 1 of 1