Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Aftermarket rear shock

Go down 
+3
Chrispy1200
deerHater
LaResistance
7 posters
AuthorMessage
LaResistance

Aftermarket rear shock Empty
PostSubject: Aftermarket rear shock   Aftermarket rear shock EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 10:36 am

Hi,

Im doing a little supermoto racing and some trail riding/enduro riding with my bike here in Quebec and start looking for a more serious after market rear shock. It seem that no big compagnie offer anything for us so I sent an email to a big suspension manufacturer that is base here in Quebec to see if they would be interested in producing something for us. Im waiting for their replie.

I wonder if there would be any interest for something a bit more highend then an hybrid rebuilt OEM shock. I have one, it performed nice, but it pissed me off when it started leaking after only one summer of moderate use. I dont blame the shop that built it, I think its simply due to the piss poor nature of the OEM shock.

Let me know if you like the idea of having an aftermarket shock and what would you be looking for in term of features for such a shock.

PS. Sorry for the broken english, it isnt my first language.

Sebastien
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket rear shock   Aftermarket rear shock EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 10:46 am

LaResistance wrote:
Hi,

Im doing a little supermoto racing and some trail riding/enduro riding with my bike here in Quebec and start looking for a more serious after market rear shock. It seem that no big compagnie offer anything for us so I sent an email to a big suspension manufacturer that is base here in Quebec to see if they would be interested in producing something for us. Im waiting for their replie.

I wonder if there would be any interest for something a bit more highend then an hybrid rebuilt OEM shock. I have one, it performed nice, but it pissed me off when it started leaking after only one summer of moderate use. I dont blame the shop that built it, I think its simply due to the piss poor nature of the OEM shock.

Let me know if you like the idea of having an aftermarket shock and what would you be looking for in term of features for such a shock.

Sebastien
Your English is quite good!

If you convince Elka (I'm sure you know they are located in QC) to build a shock for the WR250 I might buy one!
A friend has one on his Vstrom, a beautiful shock that performs extremely well!
Back to top Go down
LaResistance

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket rear shock   Aftermarket rear shock EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 10:51 am

deerHater wrote:
LaResistance wrote:
Hi,

Sebastien
Your English is quite good!

If you convince Elka (I'm sure you know they are located in QC) to build a shock for the WR250 I might buy one!
A friend has one on his Vstrom, a beautiful shock that performs extremely well!

Yes, its the compagnie I contacted.
They really are up there with Ohlin's and Pensky.

We will see if they are interested.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket rear shock   Aftermarket rear shock EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 1:37 pm

Merci ,Sebastien, une autre dépense. budah

Very happy
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket rear shock   Aftermarket rear shock EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 7:15 pm

I've run elkas before they're sweet shocks!
It might be very hard to sell shocks tho...
You can revalve and respring (if your heavy or really light) the stocker to get it working nicely, for a lot less money.
I just put a race tech gold valve kit and stiffer spring on my stocker, it was about 400 bucks after I paid a racing buddy that does revalves as a hobby to install it.
Go race does them even cheaper than that, but shipping and down time were issues for me.
A elka with a resiour is close to a thousand, I paid 925 for the remote res elka on my KLR a few years ago.
Try to get them to make a kit for the stock skock instead with new valving and a new seal head, thats all it needs. They've done that before I had one in a showa shock on a 400ex atv.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket rear shock   Aftermarket rear shock EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 8:23 pm

FBI (Fast Bike Industries) rebuilt my stock shock and did an awesome job. David, the owner, owned a WR250X at the time and was really obsessed with extracting every ounce of performance possible from the bike. When I have the forks redone, I'll go back to him. Class act.

I visited his shop last year at his invitation while I was in NC on my KLR. All I can say is that this is a very down to earth guy who is deep into motorcycle performance, has ties throughout the motorcycle industry and does quality work for a reasonable price. So, before you chunk that stocker, give David a call. He'll fix you up.

Link: http://www.fastbikeindustries.com/
Back to top Go down
LaResistance

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket rear shock   Aftermarket rear shock EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 10:12 pm

Yeah i know Fast bike, I got their rear shock.
Like I said, it work real nice but it fail after a summer of riding trails and a few supermoto races.

Upgraded stockers are nice but they are as good as the oem base shock can be. Im looking for something that will perform better and that is bullet proof in harsh condition. The adjustability can also be a nice asset when you are using your bike as a commuter/trail rider/extreme enduro/supermoto racer/...Separate external high/low speed damping can come in handy.

Got the response from Elka.

They say that they are interested in building us a shock with whatever features that we want if there is sufficient demand. They say that our bike is pretty low volume so they are willing to engineer a proper shock if we are 10 people to commit and buy one.

Looking at their website application list http://www.elkasuspension.com/download/applications/ELKA-APP-Motorcycle.pdf the pricing seem to be around 1000$ for their high performance shock. They didnt mention any pricing in their mail but i cant see why it would more than the other application. Maybe an introduction/group buy price can be add if we meet the asked 10 units?

So, who's interested? Very happy

1-LaResistance
2-deerHater (If high speed comp)
3-pbnut
4-Monkeynuts

Last edited by LaResistance on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
pbnut

pbnut

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket rear shock   Aftermarket rear shock EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 6:46 am

lurk

I would be interested.
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket rear shock   Aftermarket rear shock EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 1:23 pm

I'm going to have to pass.

Trop riche pour moi maintenant.
Back to top Go down
deerHater

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket rear shock   Aftermarket rear shock EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 2:43 pm

LaResistance wrote:

Got the response from Elka.

They say that they are interested in building us a shock with whatever features that we want if there is sufficient demand. They say that our bike is pretty low volume so they are willing to engineer a proper shock if we are 10 people to commit and buy one.

Looking at their website application list http://www.elkasuspension.com/download/applications/ELKA-APP-Motorcycle.pdf the pricing seem to be around 1000$ for their high performance shock. They didnt mention any pricing in their mail but i cant see why it would more than the other application. Maybe an introduction/group buy price can be add if we meet the asked 10 units?

So, who's interested? Very happy

1-LaResistance
2-deerHater ???
3-Chrispy1200 ???
I'm interested if the high speed compression adjustability option is offered!
Back to top Go down
Monkeynuts

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket rear shock   Aftermarket rear shock EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 4:42 pm

Yes please something else to spend my money on and wind the girlfriend up amazon
Back to top Go down
LaResistance

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket rear shock   Aftermarket rear shock EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 5:29 pm

Cool, we already are 4 out of 10!

It would be really nice if this really happen. droooool

1-LaResistance
2-deerHater (If high speed comp)
3-pbnut
4-Monkeynuts
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket rear shock   Aftermarket rear shock Empty

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket rear shock