Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
lvmonkey

Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing. Empty
PostSubject: Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing.   Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing. EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 7:49 pm

I looked at the other posts on the motor cutting out, but most of them seem to be computer-related and show the symptom of bogging down or decreased performance.

I've noticed twice now on my '09 250X that when I downshift from top gear to a stop, around 3rd or 4th gear the motor just dies. No bogging down, no sputtering. Just dead. Thankfully in both instances, I happened to have the clutch pulled in when I noticed the motor has cut out.

The 2nd time happened as I was coasting to a stop downshifting around 40MPH. I kept the clutch in and pushed the ignition and it started right back up. I continued through the gears since the light had turned green by the time I got it restarted again.

It's got an aftermarket FMF exhaust and no other mods.

I'm gonna check the battery, but any ideas on what could be causing this?
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing.   Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing. EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 9:02 pm

A fuel programmer MIGHT help your problem.

I'd check the air filter too. Make sure its not dirty or clogged.

Your idle speed might need adjusting.

Check connections on battery terminals.

When the stalling happened.....same tank of gas?
How much time between the two times it happened?

Can you think of any other conditions that might be pertinent to your problem?

Was it cold out? Or Hot? Raining?
Does it ever happen when downshifting from 4th gear to a stop? Or only from 6th gear to stop?
Are you shifting down multiple gears while clutch is pulled in? Or letting clutch out for every gear?

More info might help somebody be able to help you. thumb

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
lvmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing.   Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing. EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 10:19 pm

thanks for the response

the first time this occurred was a cold night, but had been warmed up pretty good. it was a short travel around the neighborhood going about 25-30 so trying to downshifting from 4th down to 3rd. it had cut out just as i was blipping the throttle (trying to at least). thats when i realized it had cut out.

the second time was today on the way to work. i'm in southern calif so it was about 55-60 degrees at the time . i had traveled at least 11 miles by the time the engine cut out. i was easing down to a red light 6, 5, 4, and cut out somewhere around there. again, i noticed it cut out because i always blip the throttle whilst the clutch disengaged.

when i downshift, i always blip and go down each gear one by one. i never skip gears

two weeks had passed between the 1st occurrence and today, so different tanks of gas.

so i guess it occurs as i pull in the clutch because i only notice it when i try to blip the throttle.

thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing.   Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing. EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 11:41 pm

From all the post I have read, I dont think I would run this bike with an aftermarket exhaust and NO PROGRAMMER. The bike is way lean to begin with, open up that exhaust so she breathes better and your DEFFINATELY gonna need some more fuel. Is it starving itself out maybe on decell?
Back to top Go down
lvmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing.   Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing. EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 12:24 am

i did forget to mention that upon decel, it's fairly frequent that it backfires/pops.

not sure if that's related to my issue here though.

i havent considered adding any fuel programming until you mentioned it.

i checked the air filter and its really greasy to touch. it's the black foam type, stock i think that the previous owner left. i'll prob end up replacing that tomorrow.

thanks again.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing.   Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing. EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 11:06 pm

The air filter has to be soaked in air filter oil. Wash it real good with soap and water then let dry. Take a gallon ziploc bag and put your dry filter in it. Pour a bit of air filter oil on it then squeeze it making sure it gets fully suturated. Wring it out and get rid of all extra oil then let air dry a bit before starting engine. All dirt bikes require this to trap all the dust. The popping and backfire on decel will be cleared up with the programmer. I have read all the forums and this is preaty text book. Cant wait to get mine so I can get my exhaust.
Back to top Go down
lvmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing.   Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing. EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 6:41 pm

good tip on the air filter. thanks for that

as for the popping on decel, i'll admit i actually like it. it scares the shyte out people on the sidewalk and cars next to me comin to a stop! thumb
Back to top Go down
lvmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing.   Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing. EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 6:44 pm

i still havent figured out the engine cut out on deceleration, but i'm gonna take one step at a time troubleshooting/diagnosing before i do something expensive like a fuel programmer
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing.   Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing. EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 7:10 pm

lvmonkey wrote:
i still havent figured out the engine cut out on deceleration, but i'm gonna take one step at a time troubleshooting/diagnosing before i do something expensive like a fuel programmer

Look for used ones on ebay or craigslist - maybe?

Consider you bought a motorcycle for thousands, helmet, gloves, jacket, and maybe some other stuff....a few hundred for a programmer isn't a huge expense.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
lvmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing.   Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing. EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 7:31 pm

i wanna exhaust all other (reasonable/feasible/inexpensive) avenues to alleviate this problem.

a fuel mod is luxury right now to my already luxurious 250X ;)

i live in $$$$outhern California afterall Very happy
Back to top Go down
IAmABug

PostSubject: Re: Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing.   Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing. EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 12:48 am

Do you know if the AIS mod was done. If the system is still on the bike with an aftermarket exhaust, this can cause backfiring/popping on decel...will it cut out because of this, can't say.
Back to top Go down
lvmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing.   Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing. EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 1:50 am

no the AIS wasnt removed, and according to all accounts i've read on forums and youtube, removing the AIS is supposed to stop the popping. as ive said before, i actually like the popping on deceleration. it reminds me of old skool carb'd rotary cars when they backfire :)

not certain if those who've removed the AIS actually feel a marked improvement in performance. i suppose i could remove later.
Back to top Go down
macgregor

macgregor

PostSubject: Re: Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing.   Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing. EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 1:28 pm

I just bought a 2008 wrx in the fall 2012, anxiously awaiting the snow to melt so I can get riding it.

mine has all the usual mods, AIS/Airbox/ and so fourth plus it had the ATHENA big bore kit, two brothers exhaust and power juicer made by two brothers.

I was experiencing exactly what you describe, I thought I would have to mess with the fuel programmer, but in the end I kept it simple stupid and just bumped up the IDLE, no problem what so ever after that, never stalled out again.

try the upping the idle on your bike. Good Luck...cheers Greg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing.   Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing. Empty

Back to top Go down

Motor shuts down on downshift - no bogging, no slowing.
Page 1 of 1