Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

2020 wr250 shuts off when it gets to temp

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Raybo

2020 wr250 shuts off when it gets to temp Empty
PostSubject: 2020 wr250 shuts off when it gets to temp   2020 wr250 shuts off when it gets to temp EmptySun May 05, 2024 3:21 pm

I have a wr that went for a little saltwater swim in the Mexican Baja. Originally the engine filled with salt water along with the air box. Took a while to get it started but after putting oil in the spark plug hole the rings sealed enough and it started. Now she runs ok until she heats up at about 170 she shuts down and will not start until she sits and cools down.
Back to top Go down
Jäger
Admin
Jäger

PostSubject: Re: 2020 wr250 shuts off when it gets to temp   2020 wr250 shuts off when it gets to temp EmptyTue May 07, 2024 11:52 am

Raybo wrote:
I have a wr that went for a little saltwater swim in the Mexican Baja. Originally the engine filled with salt water along with the air box. Took a while to get it started but after putting oil in the spark plug hole the rings sealed enough and it started. Now she runs ok until she heats up at about 170 she shuts down and will not start until she sits and cools down.

When you post a mechanical question in the New Members sub-form, rather than this forum which focuses on mechanical problems, you can't expect to get many responses. I've moved your post; you'll get best value from your membership here with a few minutes of familiarizing yourself with the various sub-forums that are provided here. A quick topic review when looking for answers may turn up extensive troubleshooting for an identical or similar problem has already taken place.

Raybo likes this post

Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: 2020 wr250 shuts off when it gets to temp   2020 wr250 shuts off when it gets to temp EmptyWed May 08, 2024 3:52 am

Raybo wrote:

Did you change the oil until there was no sign of water in the crankcase?

Typically, when a motor runs when cool but dies when hot is an indication of tight valve clearances, but I doubt that something like this happened due to water ingress. Still, after you perform the oil change(s), do a compression test to see where you are.

Jäger likes this post

Back to top Go down
Raybo

PostSubject: Re: 2020 wr250 shuts off when it gets to temp   2020 wr250 shuts off when it gets to temp EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:24 pm

johnkol wrote:
Raybo wrote:

Did you change the oil until there was no sign of water in the crankcase?

Typically, when a motor runs when cool but dies when hot is an indication of tight valve clearances, but I doubt that something like this happened due to water ingress. Still, after you perform the oil change(s), do a compression test to see where you are.
Back to top Go down
Raybo

PostSubject: Re: 2020 wr250 shuts off when it gets to temp   2020 wr250 shuts off when it gets to temp EmptyWed May 08, 2024 9:33 pm

Yep changed the oil like 4 times. I went through and cleaned some connections again and she ran all the way up to 220 and the fan kicked on. She didn't died on me.this time. I did figure out that she will not start on the side stand so I am guessing next I need to locate the lean over module and figure out how to check it.
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: 2020 wr250 shuts off when it gets to temp   2020 wr250 shuts off when it gets to temp EmptyThu May 09, 2024 5:14 am

Raybo wrote:
I did figure out that she will not start on the side stand so I am guessing next I need to locate the lean over module and figure out how to check it.

You're describing two separate problems:
1. The side stand switch is one circuit with the trigger located at the base of the stand, and
2. The lean angle sensor is a different circuit located under the seat.

Jäger likes this post

Back to top Go down
Raybo

PostSubject: Re: 2020 wr250 shuts off when it gets to temp   2020 wr250 shuts off when it gets to temp EmptyThu May 09, 2024 7:46 am

The side stand switch has been bypassed
Back to top Go down
johnkol

PostSubject: Re: 2020 wr250 shuts off when it gets to temp   2020 wr250 shuts off when it gets to temp EmptyThu May 09, 2024 12:08 pm

Raybo wrote:
The side stand switch has been bypassed

The position of the side stand does not prevent the bike from starting. If you attempt to shift the bike into gear with the side stand down, then the ECU will kill the motor.

The lean angle sensor will prevent the bike from starting, but only when the bike is horizontal. Once it's upright (even if leaned) and you have cycled the key, the bike will start without issues. If the lean angle sensor is not working properly it should throw a Fault Code; do you see such a code on the screen?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2020 wr250 shuts off when it gets to temp   2020 wr250 shuts off when it gets to temp Empty

Back to top Go down

2020 wr250 shuts off when it gets to temp
Page 1 of 1