Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

eye glasses w/ helmet

Go down 
+7
sanluissound
mcdoudlehopper
sturgeon
YZEtc
motokid
Cutthroat Bill
Skithis
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Skithis

eye glasses w/ helmet Empty
PostSubject: eye glasses w/ helmet   eye glasses w/ helmet EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:15 am

After riding for a year half blind looking through scratched up goggles I decided to go to the optomitrist. So now I've got some glasses and am seeing 20/20 but I'm not sure how to safely wear them on my bike. Do you guys use straps on them to hold them tight against your face and then a street bike helmet? I have been looking at the street style helmet anyways to reduce bugs and drag on my head.
Back to top Go down
Cutthroat Bill

Cutthroat Bill

PostSubject: Re: eye glasses w/ helmet   eye glasses w/ helmet EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 6:16 am

I have some Oakley glasses that I wear every day. I'm practically blind without them. woohoo I have never felt any need to use any sort of straps on them. They sit snugly, but comfortably on me. Obviously, not all glasses are equal, so it's really up to you to decide how snug, or loose your glasses sit on you, and whether or not you feel like they'll fall off when riding. I'd be willing to bet this is a non-issue as long as you stay on roads.

As for helmets, I've recently gotten myself a Shark Vision R, which I'm very happy with. Granted, I've only used for a few miles, so my opinion is more of a first impression, I guess. Anyway, the helmet is designed for us who wear glasses, so it has two super soft, removable pads, one on each side, that goes exactly where the temples of the glasses goes. I removed mine, but i could've left them in if I felt like it.
The helmet also has a built in sun visor, wich operates very smoothly, and is fairly accessible on the left hand side of the helmet. The sun visor might be too loose for serious offroad use, though.

Edit: Forgot to mention that it has one more feature that's worth noting. The visor has a "anti fog" position, where it's only open 2 or 3 millimeters. It seems to work well at medium to high speeds, but find myself opening it further when going really slow, or when stopping.

I hope this post doesn't come off weird. English is not my first language.

I got the matte black one, by the way. Here's a picture:
eye glasses w/ helmet HE4202EKMA-1
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: eye glasses w/ helmet   eye glasses w/ helmet EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 6:35 am

I have no experience with any of these.... but...

click me

I would love to know how well they fit as I too am needing something like this.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
Cutthroat Bill

Cutthroat Bill

PostSubject: Re: eye glasses w/ helmet   eye glasses w/ helmet EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 6:47 am

The user reviews seem good on those first Smith goggles. But I'm skeptical about how comfortable they are on the nose, on which all glasses and goggles rest.
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: eye glasses w/ helmet   eye glasses w/ helmet EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 7:25 am

If you're wondering about wearing eyeglasses with a street helmet (full-face helmet with a flip-up shield over the eye port as you see worn by guys on sport bikes like an R1, etc.), I've been doing that forever.

For me and anybody else I know that wears eyeglasses, nothing extra is need as you simply put the helmet on, pass the eyeglasses through the open eyeport of the helmet, work them in position over your ears, flip the shield down, and hit the road.
They stay put just fine.
If they don't, I think they are some poor-fitting eyeglasses.
Back to top Go down
Cutthroat Bill

Cutthroat Bill

PostSubject: Re: eye glasses w/ helmet   eye glasses w/ helmet EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 10:06 am

There's one thing that's important to look for, though. Glasses can catch between the cheek pads, and the pad above it, resulting in the glasses pushing down hard on your nose, or lifting them up.
My old Buell helmet would always lift my glasses off my nose. and it annoyed the piss out of me. It made it hard to see what was just in front of the bike as well.
Back to top Go down
sturgeon

sturgeon

PostSubject: Re: eye glasses w/ helmet   eye glasses w/ helmet EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 10:22 am

Whenever I buy new eyeglass frames (which I've worn for more years than I care to admit), I bring my helmet in to the optometrist, so I can see how they fit under it, and how easy they are to slip through the eye-port without catching on something. There's nothing worse than glasses that are hard to put on under a helmet, or as Cutthroat Bill says, that don't fit quite right once they are on.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: eye glasses w/ helmet   eye glasses w/ helmet EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 11:54 am

Skithis - I've worn glasses my whole life and never had a prob. Since everyone here has touched on the street side of things, I will add a little on the dirt/offroad experience. I wear a standard HJC MX helmet for everything! As for the helmet, glasses fit nicely and have never moved (even offroad). On cold or dusty conditions, I wear OTG goggles by Castle-X and they have been great! The only problem I have with them is fogging when cold If your not moving. One problem I have with the MX helmet is at speeds of 60MPH or more, My head starts to lift off my shoulders bec of the visor. My next purchase will be this!!!!!!!!!!!!

eye glasses w/ helmet 2011-f10

Glasses - No problem
Goggles - dont bother
Visor - Prego = (its in there) Visor is make with special vents for street use and NO HEAD LIFT

In My O, this is the way to go.
Back to top Go down
sanluissound

PostSubject: Glasses and goggles and helmets   eye glasses w/ helmet EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:02 pm

Hello all -

I've been in glasses since I was a little kid (46 now) and riding motorcycles much of my life. In addition I mountain bike and snow board so am familiar with various eye ware/goggle/helmet combinations. These are my thoughts -

- Get your eyes lasered (every year I get closer, and am sure once I can afford to it will happen)

- Various brands of "over glasses" have all fit differently, on different glasses. You may have to try a few pairs with your new specs to make sure they fit. With the last, best best fitting pair I had I still ended up cutting foam and rubber away to make a nice fit. Then still had to deal with fogging and uncomfortable pressure on my nose. If you do get goggles just right a particularly rough day on the road/trail could sandblast off your snout. I've given up on goggles, in particular because of -

- I have a pair of Recs Specs Biker prescription sunglasses. Made to go under helmets, these have been the best fitting glasses I've found. They also wrap around a bit and provide decent protection -

- A good helmet design that accommodates the afore mentioned glasses takes it to the next level. I have two road bike helmets - HJC and HBC - neither are spectacular with my glasses but both work. When I got back into off road riding I looked at new helmets and first tried a Fly Trekker - so many great features and a good price but the fit over my glasses was way too tight. I had to buy up but found the Arai XD4 to be a perfect fit over my specs. I don't use goggles and just work the visor up and down as needed. There's some fogging but in general it much more manageable than goggles. Over extremely rough terrain that's shaking me around my glasses will bobble up and down with the helmet but it's rare (highly unnerving when it happens though).

Hope this helps a bit. You really will have to try on some different helmets with your glasses.. and I don't think you'll need a strap. Good luck!
Joe
Back to top Go down
GoodShipT

PostSubject: Re: eye glasses w/ helmet   eye glasses w/ helmet EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:26 pm

Or... you could try daily-wear contacts, or go all the way and get eye surgery.

I've been wearing glasses since I was a little kid and started wearing daily contacts when I started motorcycling. In the rain or on backroad trips having one less physical layer to get fogged or muddied up makes a huge difference (to me, anyway).

A couple of months ago I but the bullet and got lasik - now my eyes are better than 20/20 (almost 20/15) and I don't have to worry about putting contacts in before I ride if it looks like rain. (I live on the Wet Coast so it looks like rain pretty much every day. Very happy ) I know surgery isn't an option for everyone (cost, tricky eye prescription, etc.), but if it's possible for you I'd recommend looking into it.

Oh, and back when I was wearing glasses I had no problems slipping them on through the eye port on both my Arai helmet and my Fly Trekker (pictured by mcdoudlehopper), and I have a very big head.
Back to top Go down
mix123

PostSubject: Re: eye glasses w/ helmet   eye glasses w/ helmet EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:40 pm

I've been using a Dirt Helmet with some scott goggles with my glasses. Works well. I had to make a slight adjustment to the foam where they sit on my nose. You notice when you have them too tight as well lol. One thing that makes it easier if you do go the goggle route are goggle quick straps. Makes taking the goggles on and off over glasses way easier.
Back to top Go down
oic0

oic0

PostSubject: Re: eye glasses w/ helmet   eye glasses w/ helmet EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:48 pm

I've been through 6 helmets, never had an issue with any of em. I will say this though, metal frames are more durable, you want the ones with the reversible hinge. Plastic frame hipster / military glasses are for the most part garbage. I can destroy a pair in nothing flat and you can't ghetto fix em.
Back to top Go down
Prairieparson

PostSubject: Re: eye glasses w/ helmet   eye glasses w/ helmet EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 9:15 pm

I've worn glasses since I was a kid. Suggest stainless or Titanium frames. Shoei helmets work great for me. No problems at all with glasses
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: eye glasses w/ helmet   eye glasses w/ helmet Empty

Back to top Go down

eye glasses w/ helmet
Page 1 of 1