Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

fmf install question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
nyc_bob

fmf install question Empty
PostSubject: fmf install question   fmf install question EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 11:42 am

Hi all.
Removed my stock pipe and want to put my new FMF q4 onto the stock header.

How does the adapter piece go on? It goes on about a quarter inch ( up to the flange on the adapter) bit doesn't stay there securely.

Am I supposed to use the stock clamp or will it just hold with the silicone gasket?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: fmf install question   fmf install question EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 12:07 pm

Adapter should fit on there one way and one way only.

If the adapter doesn't fit one way, flip it around and try the other.

I used no silicone and no gasket at all between stock header and Q4.

If the adapter is wrong, the bolt hole for securing the Q4 muffler to frame won't line up at all.
That's a very snug fit.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
nyc_bob

PostSubject: Re: fmf install question   fmf install question EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 12:14 pm

Thanks for the really fast response.

Adapter definitely fits one way only but only goes onto the stock header a little bit. If I don't hold it in place it falls off easily.
How far on do I need to push the adapter? It looks like it is only designed to go on a quarter inch or so.

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: fmf install question   fmf install question EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 12:43 pm

It's been a long time since I put mine on.

What I did was slide adapter into the Q4, then slide that sub-assembly onto header pipe.
Took a fair amount of force to get it on far enough to line up the bolt hole for the frame mount.

Are you sure you have the proper adapter and pipe for a wr250r/x header?
(don't take stupid question personally....just trying to cover all bases...)

If I recall correctly I think the header pipe should slide into adapter at least an inch if not more.
Otherwise you'd for sure need a gasket and some sealant of some sort.

I'll try to take a closer look at mine when I get home later today.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
nyc_bob

PostSubject: Re: fmf install question   fmf install question EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 1:40 pm

Solved.
There was some kind of adapter on the stock pipe that I left on. Used a pair of vice grips to remove it and voila. Adapter slides on perfectly.

I'll post some pics tonight in case someone else runs into a similar problem.

Thanks to motokid for the moral support and making me look into it a little harder.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: fmf install question   fmf install question EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 1:58 pm

nyc_bob wrote:
Solved.
There was some kind of adapter on the stock pipe that I left on. Used a pair of vice grips to remove it and voila. Adapter slides on perfectly.

I'll post some pics tonight in case someone else runs into a similar problem.

Thanks to motokid for the moral support and making me look into it a little harder.

cheers wings

freaky

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
nyc_bob

PostSubject: Re: fmf install question   fmf install question EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 9:59 pm

OK, so here was the problem. When I pulled off the stock exhaust, I left on something that looks like the stock exhaust adapter. It was stuck on pretty well and had to give it a good twist with the vice grips to get it loose.
fmf install question Header_with_leftover

Here it is back on the stock mid-pipe:
fmf install question Sleeve_on_stock_exhaust

The stock header after removing the stock adapter:
fmf install question Header

The FMF adapter for the stock header:
fmf install question Adapter

FMF adapter on the stock header (test fit ):
fmf install question Adapter_to_header

After putting it together (as discussed on other threads, need to pull the FMF adapter backwards about a quarter inch to get the mounting bolts to line up). Red color is high temp silicone:
fmf install question Adapter_to_header_final

Also as discussed on other threads, the mid-pipe bolt supplied by FMF is just a couple threads too short to grab the captive nut on the pipe. After trying for close to an hour to get it to fit, I went to my local Home Depot and got a longer bolt. No regular bolts available, so I got an allen key bolt and used the unused stock exhaust washer.
fmf install question Midpipe_bolt

Here is the size and threading in case you need one. Same size and threading for a regular or allen bolt:
fmf install question Midpipe_replacement_bolt

After getting past the first hurdle and the mid-pipe bolt hurdle, it was simple. Haven't ridden it yet, but it sounds good in the garage.

Back to top Go down
PortlandWRider

PostSubject: Re: fmf install question   fmf install question EmptyFri Jul 04, 2014 3:23 am

F*** that midpipe bolt!! Way too short! I just tried installing it now and that stupid bolt was about to drive me insane. Looks like ill be hitting home depot tomorrow...
Back to top Go down
Evol

Evol

PostSubject: Re: fmf install question   fmf install question EmptyFri Jul 04, 2014 5:55 am

Yup common problem. I had to hit Home Depot as well for a longer bolt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fmf install question   fmf install question Empty

Back to top Go down

fmf install question
Page 1 of 1