Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection

Go down 
+11
bigg
shep546
novaks47
nyc_bob
BuilderBob
gatorfan
motokid
RimBenty
TwilightZone
mcdoudlehopper
tomandjerry00
15 posters
AuthorMessage
tomandjerry00

Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection Empty
PostSubject: Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection   Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 2:36 pm

So I bought my 2009 WR250X with every farkle I could imagine, but I found out it failed inspection because:

1. no hand hold for passenger (seat strap had been removed)
2. mirrors were less than 7 sq inches each (stock replaced with bar end)
3. brake light/license plate light wires switched (license plate light comes on when you hit brakes)

So I need some help getting this thing passing. I ordered some big clamp-on mirrors for #2 and I plan on going over the wiring this weekend for #3. Is there anything special to know? But I could use some help on #1....

Anyone have any photos or recommendations on how to affix a passenger hand hold? I was just going to tie on some webbing but don't know if that will fulfill the requirement...

Thanks!

James
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection   Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 3:00 pm

sure someone hear will have a seat strap laying around. If not take off the passenger pegs.
Back to top Go down
tomandjerry00

PostSubject: Can't take off pegs...   Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 3:05 pm

I asked if I could just take the pegs off and was told no....

Any I'm looking for an aftermarket idea that is cheap. Thanks!

James
Back to top Go down
TwilightZone

PostSubject: Re: Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection   Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 4:10 pm

Get a belt or nylon strap and loop it under the seat. IMHO: Pretty trivial.
My ex-strap is 1" wide, 15" long and has two holes punched 5/8" in from the ends, bolted to the seat bottom.
I think you could staple the new one, or just use the belt buckle or...

Silly rule.
Back to top Go down
RimBenty

RimBenty

PostSubject: Re: Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection   Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 8:39 pm

There are connectors for the wires to the rear lights under the seat. They run through a plastic cover next to the air flapper. It could be the connectors are just swapped.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection   Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 6:30 am

Where in Maryland are you?

And what kind of fucked up state is Maryland that some shitty little strap across the seat causes you to fail inspection?

A passenger should never hold that strap. That's just stupid.

I may still have my strap somewhere buried in garage. Depending on where you are we might be able to arrange a "borrow".
If I can find it.

Are you anywhere close to Newark, De. ?

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection   Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 7:07 am

Move to Florida - no inspections!

The passenger strap is the easiest of the 3. As above, just buy some kind of strap and bolt it in where the old one was.

BTW Moto, I went to U of D. Lived in Newark 4 years.
Back to top Go down
BuilderBob

BuilderBob

PostSubject: Re: Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection   Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 7:18 am

I lived in Maryland for several years, and as far as I can tell, MD's inspections are just a way for shady garage owners to pocket $$ for repairs that aren't needed. They always seem to find something wrong.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection   Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 8:11 am

Sadly hilarious that a seat strap is an issue but an after-market exhaust (I assume from "every farkle imaginable") isn't a problem....

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
nyc_bob

PostSubject: Re: Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection   Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 10:18 am

They probably wouldn't have gotten you for the strap if the mirror was OK and the lights were working.

Did you not know that the lights were screwed up before you went to the inspection?

Anyway, lucky that they all seem like easy fixes.

Back to top Go down
novaks47

PostSubject: Re: Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection   Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 12:25 pm

Fix the light, and find a small shop that doesn't care, or is too busy to nitpick. Not all inspection places are the same. thumb
Back to top Go down
shep546

PostSubject: Re: Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection   Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 2:34 pm

Sounds like he was trying to fail you... that seat strap is for getting a grip of the bike when you arent on it... not for passengers.
Back to top Go down
bigg

bigg

PostSubject: Re: Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection   Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 5:31 pm

shep546 wrote:
Sounds like he was trying to fail you... that seat strap is for getting a grip of the bike when you arent on it... not for passengers.

that's is what it is used for by people with common sense. however, I remember my dealer saying something about it being a "passenger" strap as well. eeek has anyone actually tried to make their passenger grab onto it? because it looks like you'd need to sit on the rear fender to be able to grip it :duh: :duh:
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection   Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 6:19 pm

novaks47 wrote:
Fix the light, and find a small shop that doesn't care, or is too busy to nitpick. Not all inspection places are the same. thumb

+1
There are shops around here that try to fail your bike too and ones that are run by guys who ride bikes and let some stuff slide.
Back to top Go down
leed

PostSubject: Re: Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection   Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 12:24 am

I would just take the passenger pegs off and take it elsewhere to have inspected. Or would that be a "You have a 'passenger capable seat' thus you must have both pegs and hand hold" deal? Seems bogus to me Suspect
Back to top Go down
GusinCA

GusinCA

PostSubject: Re: Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection   Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 10:23 pm

"And what kind of fucked up state is Maryland that some shitty little strap across the seat causes you to fail inspection?"

And I thought California was bad!
Back to top Go down
adamoto

adamoto

PostSubject: Re: Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection   Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 8:32 am

In Maryland, we have Obama's buddy, Governor OMalley to deal with, so we've seen a lot of stupid laws recently. And he just introduced his "gun bill" limiting magazines to 10 rounds and banning "assault" rifles (you know, rifles that aren't really assault rifles).
Back to top Go down
tomandjerry00

PostSubject: Passed Inspection!!!   Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 11:45 am

adamoto wrote:
In Maryland, we have Obama's buddy, Governor OMalley to deal with, so we've seen a lot of stupid laws recently. And he just introduced his "gun bill" limiting magazines to 10 rounds and banning "assault" rifles (you know, rifles that aren't really assault rifles).

Especially when about 80% of firearm deaths are from handguns and it takes about half a second to swap magazines... Deer kill far more people every year than rifles, shotguns, and "assault weapons" combined.

Laws on motorcycles and guns are not made by those that actually understand either in this state.

But alas, I digress....

My bike passed inspection!! I put some goofy looking mirrors on, put on a cyclerack (had passenger hand grabs built in and preps me for some touring :) ), put on some 1" reflectors with two sided tape, and rewired the brake light. Hooray!

Now just to battle with DMV to get it registered...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection   Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection Empty

Back to top Go down

Need Help- Failed MD Safety Inspection
Page 1 of 1