Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

synthetic or conventional oil for 3k miles...NOob

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
motardmixion

motardmixion

synthetic or conventional oil for 3k miles...NOob Empty
PostSubject: synthetic or conventional oil for 3k miles...NOob   synthetic or conventional oil for 3k miles...NOob EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 2:49 am

as you know im a noob to this bike, I had two cbr 600rr's before this bike, i always used bel-ray synthetic oil, Im gonna go with that or just the regular yamalube 4 10/40

I just wanted to ask what you guys think about running synthetic....idk whats in the bike right now because i just bought it....olny has 3400 miles on the bike.

So i guess what im getting at is, should i just run a synthetic oil or just go with reg conventional????
I know theres a billion on billion debates on what engine oil is best....yada yada yada...

just seeing if you really think its a big deal to run synthetic.

im a firm believer with just picking a oil and sticking with it. not changing brands and viscosity all the time.

just give me some of your quick input.

thanks

Evan
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: synthetic or conventional oil for 3k miles...NOob   synthetic or conventional oil for 3k miles...NOob EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 6:16 am

I feel much as yourself:

The bike in no way demands synthetic oil.
It doesn't require the most expensive oils.
What is does require is a periodic oil change, no matter which oil you choose.
I typically go with conventional oils like Yamalube 10/40, Honda GN4 10/40, or Suzuki 10/40.

I basically don't believe in synthetic vs. non-synthetic, but how often the oil is changed.
To me, that's the biggie, especially when going off the paved road.
Take a look at the current header pic at the top of this page.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: synthetic or conventional oil for 3k miles...NOob   synthetic or conventional oil for 3k miles...NOob EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 10:00 am

Since you're asking for opinions....

Yamaha recommends 3000 mile oil changes and 6000 mile filter changes.

I personally think it's insane to change the oil but leave the "dirty" filter in the bike for another 3000 miles.

The bike doesn't take very much oil, and the filter is laughably small.

So for me, an X rider that spends 95% of the time riding on the street, I like the piece of mind I get from from paying a bit more for special motorcycle oil and not worrying about the exact miles I've gone between changes. If I change oil at 2500 miles, or for whatever reason let it go to 3500 miles I don't really lose sleep over such things. Since I change the filter every time I change the oil, and I use some fairly expensive Amsoil synthetic I rest easy at night.

If I put cheaper oil in bike I'd be much more concerned about those kinds of details.

I like synthetic, designed for motorcycle, oils so I don't have to be nit-picky of such things.

I've got over 10,000 miles on my bike and it runs like a well-tuned top.

Bottom line is this - Yamaha built these bikes to be pretty much bullet proof. Do what-ever helps you sleep well at night. Other than outright neglect chances are good you won't be hurting the bike.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
motardmixion

motardmixion

PostSubject: Re: synthetic or conventional oil for 3k miles...NOob   synthetic or conventional oil for 3k miles...NOob EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 2:00 pm

Thanks for all the opinions! I know everyone has there own opinion on what's best and what not. Not wanting to hear all that bs. You guys answered my question/concern perfectly!
Thanks! Ill be doing my first oil change today. Going over to the local Powersports store and see what they got. Probably end up going with basic conventional yamalube or possibly some synthetic bel-ray. 10/40. Whatever I choose I'll just stick with that it.

Already love this forum! Thanks for not barking down my throat for asking haha
Back to top Go down
skierd

PostSubject: Re: synthetic or conventional oil for 3k miles...NOob   synthetic or conventional oil for 3k miles...NOob EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 12:18 am

I've always changed my oil when my shifting got crunchy, usually every 1500-2500 miles. Always changed filters every time until I hit around 30,000 miles, then went to every other, and always used Yamaha filters. Oil, usually Rotella Synthetic 5w40 but often Amsoil, Golden Spectro, or whatever else I could use in the right-ish weights and almost always JASO MA rated except the one couple of times I used regular Castrol GTX.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

PostSubject: Re: synthetic or conventional oil for 3k miles...NOob   synthetic or conventional oil for 3k miles...NOob EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 12:23 am

motokid wrote:

I personally think it's insane to change the oil but leave the "dirty" filter in the bike for another 3000 miles.
The bike doesn't take very much oil, and the filter is laughably small.

Couldn't agree more. I could never change the oil and leave the old filter in there. You're already dirty, already wrenching --- throw a filter in there.
Back to top Go down
motardmixion

motardmixion

PostSubject: Re: synthetic or conventional oil for 3k miles...NOob   synthetic or conventional oil for 3k miles...NOob EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 2:27 pm

Yeah, just changed it with a Yamaha filter and yamalube 10/40 I can tell the bike is much happier with fresh oil in it lol. Not as much valve noise
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: synthetic or conventional oil for 3k miles...NOob   synthetic or conventional oil for 3k miles...NOob Empty

Back to top Go down

synthetic or conventional oil for 3k miles...NOob
Page 1 of 1