Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Aftermarket muffler

Go down 
+4
edteamslr
Akoffroader
asheville thumper
ramz
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ramz

Aftermarket muffler Empty
PostSubject: Aftermarket muffler   Aftermarket muffler EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 3:56 pm

I actually don't own a WRR yet; my local dealer promised me his first 2010 WRR.
And this is my first post, so be gentle. Rolling Eyes

I've read everything I could find about aftermarket mufflers, on here, WRR Dual Sport.com, ThumperTalk, and ADVrider. Although the FMF looks nice (specs and appearance), I don't want to deal with repacking and FMF customer support (you know the mess I'm referring to). So I decided to go with the GYTR muffler, but I have some questions.

Does the GYTR have a mechanical baffle or does it use muffler packing (like the FMF)?
How much lighter than the stock muffler is it? - estimate is fine.

Am I really loosing out by not going to the FMF muffler and partner Power Bomb header?

I'd like to order the GYTR muffler now; any chance it WON'T fit the 2010 model?
Don't really expect an answer on this, unless someone knows that Yamaha is planning a major update for 2010...
Back to top Go down
asheville thumper

asheville thumper

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket muffler   Aftermarket muffler EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 4:28 pm

Welcome to the forum!!

I have been really pleased with my Q4, power bomb, and programmer. I like that the programmer is already programmed for the FMF pipes and is ready to go. You might have to spend some time on the dyno with the GYTR pipe to dial it in...not really sure though. Repacking hasn't been an issue, and you don't really have to do it all that often. As far as the customer service goes, I can't really comment. I have never had to deal with them one on one. I have not seen the GYTR pipe in person, but I would think it would need repacking as well. It does look nice, but I also wanted the quietest of the "loud" pipes I could get. Just get whichever one you like best and ride the snot out of the bike...you won't regret it at all.

When did your dealer say the 2010 WR would be in? Just curious...Did he happen to mention any other Yamaha's coming in 2010?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket muffler   Aftermarket muffler EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 5:01 pm

All mufflers will require repacking at some point. If it is a carbon fiber body on the muffler (GYTR and FMF are NOT) then repacking is critical otherwise the exhaust will burn through the carbon fiber. You can use just about anything to repack a muffler from shredded paper or newspaper to regular fiberglass insulation. The FMF Q4 does have some different type of packing in it to help it be more quiet, and you should probably use the same type to repack it. Most of the time, as the packing is deteriorated and blown out of the muffler, the bike will get louder and, in alot of cases, the power improves over a freshly packed muffler. I dont know if that holds true on this bike as I just put my FMF Q4 on two days ago! It sounds much better than stock but not too loud. You can hear the exhaust now and not the harmonics of the top end instead! The GYTR will simply cost you more money with little or no improvement over the FMF set up. All GYTR stuff is overpriced...

Back in the day a muffler just like the FMF Q4 would cost under a hundred bucks but for some reason they are all in the $300+ range now. I think the sport bike market caused the substantial price jumps. I paid just under $200 just for the powerbomb head pipe. A total rip for the price but hey, thats all that is out there...

Basically you want the pipe, head pipe, programmer, and open up the air box for it all to work at it's best...

If you buy a pipe now, I wouldnt worry about it because someone will always be looking for a pipe for a 08 or 09 but I doubt they will be changing much on the bike in 010...
Back to top Go down
Akoffroader

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket muffler   Aftermarket muffler EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 9:50 pm

I ordered the GYTR pipe because this spring I installed a FMF Q4 on my XR650L and was not very impressed with it's quality or "lack there of" would be a better description.

After a couple of hours of riding, it had kind of a brown goo leaking out around both of the end inserts where they slip into the can. The decals also started pealing off due to heat. They're just a sticky backed foil decal. Pretty cheesy for a pipe with a $385.00 retail. I'm not the only one to have these problems with a Q4.

The GYTR pipe looks to have the best build quality. It uses the stock heat shield so saddle bags won't be ridng on a hot pipe as well as it uses the stock head pipe and it's factory heat shield.

I picked one up for 385.00 shipped to Alaska. The best I could do for a Q4 was $325.00 including shipping, so for $60.00 difference, I'll take the extra quality and stock. sleeper look...

Also when Thumper racing did their WR250R 280cc big bore kit dyno run he had this to say... There is a slight dip in HP and Tq from 6500 to 8800rpms. This is due to the powerbomb header. Using the stock header would have improved this area and we would have run at or above the GYRT (big bore kit) through here as well. I didn't bring the stock header with me or I would have gotten a run with it as well.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?p=881677&posted=1#post881677

Greg
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket muffler   Aftermarket muffler EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 12:33 pm

Has anyone measured the pipe length and bore diameter?
I might see if there are any other pipes out there for other bikes that might work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket muffler   Aftermarket muffler EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 1:28 pm

edteamslr wrote:
Has anyone measured the pipe length and bore diameter?
I might see if there are any other pipes out there for other bikes that might work.

But why?
Back to top Go down
edteamslr

edteamslr

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket muffler   Aftermarket muffler EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 3:10 pm

Just to give people some other options. Most WR250R bits have to be imported into the UK from the States. Result: less than good value.
The other problem is that there are only a handful of WRs in the UK so 2nd hand bits are few and far between. Pretty rubbish situation really.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket muffler   Aftermarket muffler EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 12:41 pm

Bump for the GYTR solution... Use of the heat shield was all it took for me as the girl may want to use her softpack (panniers) for overnighters.

Purchased yesterday from Mission Motorsports in Irvine, CA on eBay for $309 (plus tax/shipping etc.).
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket muffler   Aftermarket muffler EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 1:27 pm

As planned, I bought the GYTR muffler. I also bought the FMF Power Bomb header and programmer. And I opened up the air box. Here are some notes:

First, I removed the EXUP controller, cables, and hardware on the pipe. The butterfly in the exhaust pipe is held open by an external spring, so I left that alone. I opened the airbox by removing the flapper - not screwing/gluing it down, I removed it. I chucked up a 1/8" bit in my dremel and drilled the flapper pivot arms until the flapper broke loose. Then I removed what was left of the pivot arms. I also did the AIS mod. The bike ran better - more responsive on the bottom and a bit more run-out on the top end.

I bought and installed the FMF PB header and FMF programmer. Wow, this was a big jump in performance. The exhaust did not get noisier at all.

Next, I bought and installed the GYTR muffler. Five miles into the check ride I knew it was coming back off. Although the bike did run better, it was too noisy for me. And I think I lost a bit on the bottom, which is what I didn't want.

After putting the stock modified muffler back on, I was happy about the quiet ride and the power loss is acceptable.

Anyone wanna buy a GYTR muffler, 51 miles of use and in excellent condition. Contact me for details. I'll post in the classified also.

Oh, almost forgot. The GYTR is 2.5 pounds lighter than the stock modified muffler. That isn't impressive. Shog
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket muffler   Aftermarket muffler EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 1:34 pm

Ramz: Did yours have the spark arrestor in it ? ...or was it an open corked version ?
Back to top Go down
ramz

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket muffler   Aftermarket muffler EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 1:41 pm

My GYTR muffler had a screen-type spark arrestor.
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket muffler   Aftermarket muffler EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 1:56 pm

Interesting. I would have thought the GYTR was a 96dB pipe. Is that your understanding ? ...or, in your opinion, is that too loud as well ?

I haven't found a link to a stock modification "How to". Might you have one ? Thx...
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket muffler   Aftermarket muffler EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 10:56 pm

The Yamaha Australia web site says the GYTR muffler makes 92.5 DBA at 5000rpm
Thats not too loud is it? Isn't the FMF about the same?
Back to top Go down
X-Racer

X-Racer

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket muffler   Aftermarket muffler EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 11:18 pm

No pun intended, but that sounds about right. It is considerably quieter than my 96dB White Bros pipe on either the 250 or the 450 CRFxs.

I put the pipe on today, took the snorkel completely out. Removed the AIS crapola,

I'm still missing the exact "How tos" for the bike which is displaying a code 17 now. Guessing it is the EXUP missing symptom. I saw there was a simulation plug you put on the connector to eliminate that. (Question)

It runs a lot better already. No running lean symptoms. Not sure it's going to need a power commander.

I still need to go to school on y'all to get accurate info. Cheers....
Back to top Go down
WRRSam

WRRSam

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket muffler   Aftermarket muffler EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 1:09 am

Yes 17 is the EXUP to stop it you need a sub.
The diagram is here:
https://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/oh-those-sweet-mods-f5/exup-motor-removal-t129.htm
Back to top Go down
lancek

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket muffler   Aftermarket muffler EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 10:16 pm

What is in the stock muffler? The Australian version we cant open to service so I wonder whats in there - like staintune have the steel wool?

Also I am looking at the aftermarket solution - but not wanting to get something that is louder or requires heaps of maintenance. With ones like the FMF etc could you pack them with stainless steel wool also so that you may never have to service it again?

Cheers
Lance
Back to top Go down
SheWolf
Alpha Rider
SheWolf

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket muffler   Aftermarket muffler EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 11:53 pm

The stock muffler has a double baffle plate setup, and a catalytic converter. No steel wool like the Staintune.

WRRSam

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket muffler   Aftermarket muffler EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 12:35 am

Lance if you get the FMF you will need to weld in a plug for the oxygen sensor (or remove it).
My new GYTR pipe should arrive this week I got it because I want to keep the oxygen sensor (it has a plug), it makes 92 DBA (stock 88DBA) which is less then the staintune (94DBA), it keeps the heat guard. and you can get it in black.
If I get around to it I will open it up and have a look if steel wool could be put in.

How much maintence should this pipe or the FMF need?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket muffler   Aftermarket muffler Empty

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket muffler
Page 1 of 1