Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

loss of mid range and high end performance

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
f1isbest

f1isbest

loss of mid range and high end performance Empty
PostSubject: loss of mid range and high end performance   loss of mid range and high end performance EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 10:49 am

OK I did the following to my 2012 wr250r. The bike ran just fine before I made the mods

symptoms : starts fine, no error codes, idles fine, loss of mid and high end performance. almost sounds like lack of fuel fuel??

What I modified before the problems:

1. added IMS 3.0 gallon tank.

2. installed FMF powerbomb header and power core 4 pipe.
a. added graves exup removal plug.

3. replaced battery with light lithium battery.

My assumption is error codes will appear on your display without going to diag mode.

any ideas?

Bob

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: loss of mid range and high end performance   loss of mid range and high end performance EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 12:10 pm

pinched fuel line

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: loss of mid range and high end performance   loss of mid range and high end performance EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Did you add a programmer to go with the exhaust mods?

Have you done anything with the intake/airbox?

I would definitely look into the fuel line routing since I saw mine getting trapped/pinched right after putting on my IMS tank. I don't think it is a tank issue but rather I did not pay attention which way the line was routed when I removed the stock tank.
Back to top Go down
f1isbest

f1isbest

PostSubject: Re: loss of mid range and high end performance   loss of mid range and high end performance EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 3:35 pm

rsteiger wrote:

No Programmer

Just the mod inwhich I keep the flapper value open, did this a few months ago

I would definitely look into the fuel line routing since I saw mine getting trapped/pinched right after putting on my IMS tank. I don't think it is a tank issue but rather I did not pay attention which way the line was routed when I removed the stock tank.

I will take a look at that again, but thought I had taken to care of that. Thanks!! Bob
Back to top Go down
rsteiger

rsteiger

PostSubject: Re: loss of mid range and high end performance   loss of mid range and high end performance EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 8:59 pm

f1isbest wrote:
rsteiger wrote:

No Programmer

Just the mod inwhich I keep the flapper value open, did this a few months ago

I will take a look at that again, but thought I had taken to care of that. Thanks!! Bob

Without a FMF or a Power Commander programmer (the FMF is more like a fuel nanny, you can add more fuel but can't take anything away from the base mapping) I think you may be running on the lean side and that will cost you performance. Go the the Pipes and Programmers sub forum and you can get some recommendations there.
Back to top Go down
f1isbest

f1isbest

PostSubject: Re: loss of mid range and high end performance   loss of mid range and high end performance EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 5:03 pm

Well my gremlin is still there so I reverted all back to stock, except I did not reinstall the EXUP. I do have the Graves EXUP plug.

I have no error codes.

2. The bike runs very rich, the plug is black and so are the insides of the new powerbomb.

3. Again, no mid or high end. Y

It starts off and when your about half throttle you die out, because of over rich I assume. 6th gear full throttle about 40mph.

The vacuum hoses seem fine, after all this bike is not even a year old yet, and no problems until I installed the stuff from the first post.

Any ideas...... damn

Bob baldy

Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: loss of mid range and high end performance   loss of mid range and high end performance EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 5:37 pm

f1isbest wrote:
Well my gremlin is still there so I reverted all back to stock, except I did not reinstall the EXUP. I do have the Graves EXUP plug.

I have no error codes.

2. The bike runs very rich, the plug is black and so are the insides of the new powerbomb.

You have no fuel programmer, an after-market exhaust, and some mods to intake and you are running rich??????????

You'd be the first in the world if that's the case.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: loss of mid range and high end performance   loss of mid range and high end performance EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 5:40 pm

Did you clean the ims tank before you installed it?
If it had dirt in it you could've pluged up the fuel filter and your bike would run like it does now.
Lack of fuel presure will cause the fuel to not atomise/burn properly and the plug/exhuast will be black.
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: loss of mid range and high end performance   loss of mid range and high end performance EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 6:20 am

In a perfect world you would expect a DTC to be logged if this sensor was faulty / open circuit.....but just check the connection at the ECT sensor. ( Coolant temp sensor ). On any Fuel injected petrol engine if this sensor plays up, or is disconnected, then it will cause an excessively rich injection mixture. I have seen this on many different EFI vehicles where the ECT sensor can be faulty but not log a code - as it may still be reading, but nowhere near the correct temp of the actual engine. ( When viewing the output temp value via a diagnostic scan tool it will be showing a below freezing temp, which will cause the ECU to dump shit loads of fuel into the engine as a rich running warm up mode on a very, very cold start ).... I have even seen it a few times where the engine coolant temp sensor can be totally dis-connected, yet still not log a code immediately. The ECU may need to see this "open circuit" after many key cycles & start ups before setting a "hard fault" & DTC.

Anyway it's worth a quick check for a clean & correct connection at this sensor, as it sounds as though you have covered many of the bases. Also it's very simple to access & check - with no tools needed. So no harm or wasted time / effort to have a quick look here.

As stated if there is no engine check light coming on, then you would expect all sensors are operating with-in "normal" spec's. But maybe also just do a Diag mode error code check anyway. Otherwise another possible cause could be something like a bad fuel injector, as in a failed solinoid, stuck open & dumping excess fuel..... Not a problem i have every heard of with this very solid bike - but not totally impossible either. ( Especially with the "extra" pulse cycle's that the injector is subject to with the FMF F/P ).

Also as the bike is near new, what about the warranty ? Down under here in OZ these bikes have a 24 month warranty. If you have put everything back to stock standard, then it should "go through" the standard warranty process.

Anyway good luck with it all mate - hope you find the "most easy / cheap" fix in the very near future. I will be checking here for all up-dates.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
f1isbest

f1isbest

PostSubject: Re: loss of mid range and high end performance   loss of mid range and high end performance EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 11:46 am

GT-250 wrote:
In a perfect world you would expect a DTC to be logged if this sensor was faulty / open circuit.....but just check the connection at the ECT sensor. ( Coolant temp sensor ). On any Fuel injected petrol engine if this sensor plays up, or is disconnected, then it will cause an excessively rich injection mixture. I have seen this on many different EFI vehicles where the ECT sensor can be faulty but not log a code - as it may still be reading, but nowhere near the correct temp of the actual engine. ( When viewing the output temp value via a diagnostic scan tool it will be showing a below freezing temp, which will cause the ECU to dump shit loads of fuel into the engine as a rich running warm up mode on a very, very cold start ).... I have even seen it a few times where the engine coolant temp sensor can be totally dis-connected, yet still not log a code immediately. The ECU may need to see this "open circuit" after many key cycles & start ups before setting a "hard fault" & DTC.

Anyway it's worth a quick check for a clean & correct connection at this sensor, as it sounds as though you have covered many of the bases. Also it's very simple to access & check - with no tools needed. So no harm or wasted time / effort to have a quick look here.

As stated if there is no engine check light coming on, then you would expect all sensors are operating with-in "normal" spec's. But maybe also just do a Diag mode error code check anyway. Otherwise another possible cause could be something like a bad fuel injector, as in a failed solinoid, stuck open & dumping excess fuel..... Not a problem i have every heard of with this very solid bike - but not totally impossible either. ( Especially with the "extra" pulse cycle's that the injector is subject to with the FMF F/P ).

Also as the bike is near new, what about the warranty ? Down under here in OZ these bikes have a 24 month warranty. If you have put everything back to stock standard, then it should "go through" the standard warranty process.

Anyway good luck with it all mate - hope you find the "most easy / cheap" fix in the very near future. I will be checking here for all up-dates.

Cheers.

During my upgrade process, I did replace the battery and am now worried I possibly spiked the system and ruined the ECU. A possible 410 US dollar mistake. Will keep you advised and thanks for the advice! We are crawling through the manuals as we speak.

Bob
Back to top Go down
f1isbest

f1isbest

PostSubject: I am not perfect :)   loss of mid range and high end performance EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 10:36 am

OK thanks for all that provided help. I must admit it was me that screwed up.
I left a paper rag in the intake while I cleaned the air filter and apparently did not remove it when I cranked it up. I was trying my FMF pipe for
the first time and did got a bit too enthusiastic to start it up. The rag was completely sucked in the throttle body.

I was sure it was an ECU problem so this was actually good news.

Bob
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: loss of mid range and high end performance   loss of mid range and high end performance EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 12:08 pm

f1isbest wrote:
OK thanks for all that provided help. I must admit it was me that screwed up.
I left a paper rag in the intake while I cleaned the air filter and apparently did not remove it when I cranked it up. I was trying my FMF pipe for
the first time and did got a bit too enthusiastic to start it up. The rag was completely sucked in the throttle body.

I was sure it was an ECU problem so this was actually good news.

Bob

Major props for the "confession".

It's always good to know a problem has been rectified.

thumb

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: loss of mid range and high end performance   loss of mid range and high end performance EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 7:31 am

thumb Yes i agree with above, it's always good to get the honest feed back on what the actual problem & fix was......but also in saying this if you had included the below " number (4) " in your list on the original post, then we may have been able to help you narrow it down sooner, lol.

(4) = Clean out air box & intake with a paper rag.

Can never really be a case of "too much info" in regards to these on-line forum mechanical problems..... freaky

Cheers guys.

Last edited by GT-250 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GT-250

GT-250

PostSubject: Re: loss of mid range and high end performance   loss of mid range and high end performance EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 7:36 am

rsteiger wrote:
.....Have you done anything with the intake/airbox?......

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I suppose the exact question was as above to maybe prompt the answer to the elusive "Q4"..... Hindsight is a wonderful thing hey, wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: loss of mid range and high end performance   loss of mid range and high end performance Empty

Back to top Go down

loss of mid range and high end performance
Page 1 of 1