Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Blue chain needs special tool

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DestinationOffroad

Blue chain needs special tool Empty
PostSubject: Blue chain needs special tool   Blue chain needs special tool EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 9:36 pm

I've been told this chain needs a special tool to get the masterlink on, yay or nay? 112 links
Blue chain needs special tool 2u6fgox
Back to top Go down
YZEtc

YZEtc

PostSubject: Re: Blue chain needs special tool   Blue chain needs special tool EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 8:29 am

If it has what is known as a rivet master link, then it's a yes.
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Blue chain needs special tool   Blue chain needs special tool EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 9:10 am

I made the rivet tool out of a 5 dollar c clamp.
Back the clamp off untill the cup pulls of the end and it comes apart, grind the end of it down untill its pionty like a nail or screw, then it will work to flare the rivet ends.
Its a little tricky/pita to use but gets the job done, if I needed to use it more than once every 2-3 years I'd buy a good one.
To shorten chains I grind the ends of the pins off and 1/2 way through the side plate with a 4 inch angle grinder then pry the side plate off, you dont need special tools for that either.

If I buy the chain from one of the local dealers they will lend the proper rivet tool tho. wink
Back to top Go down
DestinationOffroad

PostSubject: Re: Blue chain needs special tool   Blue chain needs special tool EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 1:10 pm

Could i just buy a o ring clip on masterlink and fit it on to this chain?
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Blue chain needs special tool   Blue chain needs special tool EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 4:40 pm

Im sure you can you will need to know the exact pin dia and width of the chain to get the right one tho as it differs from one model of chain to the next.
Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Blue chain needs special tool   Blue chain needs special tool EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 9:27 pm

Tried installing my blue chain today and had troubles. Marking the chain and shortening it was easy. The masterlink side cover had to be pressed on with a C-clamp. Next was dealing with the rivets. I already had a 4" C-clamp sharpened up from another project and it exploded in my hand (3 pieces) from force. So I ended up pulling my whole swing arm off again to get the chain out. I layed the chain across my bench vise and ended up ruining 3 diff punches. The rivet/shaft is so hard it just wrecked them. I guess I'm gonna have to bring it down to the dealer and see if they have the tool. Anyone suggest anything?
Back to top Go down
Biglake

PostSubject: Re: Blue chain needs special tool   Blue chain needs special tool EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 9:48 pm

If you broke 3 punches beating on it, its probley ready to install lol.
J/K
Try to pry the side plate off the riveted link, if you cant its good to go.

You only need to flare the rivet ends a few thou, when looking at them they're hardly even mushroomed at all, if you can even see it by eye.

Take it to the dealer if you have any doubts about it being riveted right.

If you want to try to rivet it your self again use a bench vise with some thing like a bb up againts the rivet, since the chains of the bike now.

Back to top Go down
mcdoudlehopper

mcdoudlehopper

PostSubject: Re: Blue chain needs special tool   Blue chain needs special tool EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:01 pm

LOL poser2
Thanks for the info, I'll go grab my callipers and measure the pin I drove out while shortening the chain and compare to my rivet. Wow, I didnt think about using my vise besides just pounding on it. amazon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blue chain needs special tool   Blue chain needs special tool Empty

Back to top Go down

Blue chain needs special tool
Page 1 of 1