Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Ramp for truck?

Go down 
+7
woofer2609
beee
Chrispy1200
saddletramp
motokid
gatorfan
DestinationOffroad
11 posters
AuthorMessage
DestinationOffroad

Ramp for truck? Empty
PostSubject: Ramp for truck?   Ramp for truck? EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 6:15 pm

Whats up guys, i want a ramp to get my WR in the back of my truck. I was looking at this

http://www.discountramps.com/bifold-atv-ramp.htm

But it looks like the bars might be too far apart to get up it for a dirt bike because its for an atv. I want a wide enough ramp that i can ride the bike up onto the truckbed, but everything i find is like $400. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Ramp for truck? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ramp for truck?   Ramp for truck? EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 7:28 pm

DestinationOffroad wrote:
I want a wide enough ramp that i can ride the bike up onto the truck bed

No you don't.

A ramp you can ride up the bed of a truck without killing yourself would have to be ridiculously wide, long and heavy.
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

Ramp for truck? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ramp for truck?   Ramp for truck? EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 7:37 pm

I used to put my FZR400 into the back of my pickup truck with a 6 foot long section of 2x10.

Push the bike up - don't ride it up.
That's a recipe for disaster. Or a video on Funniest Home Videos....

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
saddletramp

Ramp for truck? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ramp for truck?   Ramp for truck? EmptySun Apr 21, 2013 8:15 pm

I use one of those aluminum folding ramps that are about 7 feet long and 10 inches wide in conjunction with a 2x6 x 7 foot long plank. I added some non-slip material (just some unused asphalt shingle strips) to the plank. What I do is place the aluminum ramp (for the bike)and plank (for me to walk on) about 8 inches apart on the lip of my truck tailgate. I then push (or walk beside the bike while using the clutch and throttle) up into the truck bed. It is helpful to have someone on the opposite side of the bike to act as a spotter just in case but even if no one is around to help I feel quite safe in doing it this way.

I agree with the above comments that riding up the ramp is probably a recipe for disaster.
Back to top Go down

Ramp for truck? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ramp for truck?   Ramp for truck? EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 12:45 am

Look up Ready Ramp. Best one out there!
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

Ramp for truck? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ramp for truck?   Ramp for truck? EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 12:52 pm

Ramp for truck? 7105-Ramp

Steel one piece ramps with the punched dimpled surface are cheap and provide good traction.
Back to top Go down
beee

Ramp for truck? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ramp for truck?   Ramp for truck? EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 11:15 pm

I used to ride up into the bed. Personally I think it is as safe as trying to balance standing on one ramp and having the bike on the other.

I like perforated ramps also. The ones I used to use were these. http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-steel-loading-ramps-44649.html
I am thinking of actually buying them again and just running a bolt with a wing nut to hold them together as I ride up. Unfortunately they are steel and to heavy to leave bolted together. But my original pair are at least 10 years old and haven't rusted with the galvanized coating. Unfortunately they are at my parents.

I am curious about these, but its definitely worth checking them out in the store first, as harborfreight has a lot of crap with a few jems scattered around.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1200-lb-capacity-convertible-aluminum-loading-ramp-94057.html
Back to top Go down
woofer2609

Ramp for truck? Empty
PostSubject: Cheap and effective   Ramp for truck? EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 5:27 pm

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Ramp-Plates/1-pc-750-lb-7-1-2-in-Aluminum-Ramp-Plate-End/8453516.p;jsessionid=6855EDE9EA3408F497698604907FABF8.com1
I have used these for years they work really well!
Back to top Go down
Chrispy1200

Chrispy1200

Ramp for truck? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ramp for truck?   Ramp for truck? EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 1:21 pm

I think the biggest mistake people make loading / unloading bikes into the back of pickups is missing that first step up. A good wide stable step with locking legs helps makes the transition a lot smoother and safer.
Back to top Go down
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

Ramp for truck? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ramp for truck?   Ramp for truck? EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 6:03 pm

I try to back my truck up to the base of a hill. That way, the step up to the bed isn't so difficult and the angle of the ramp is less steep.
Back to top Go down
paramud

Ramp for truck? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ramp for truck?   Ramp for truck? EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 12:28 am

Chrispy1200 wrote:
I think the biggest mistake people make loading / unloading bikes into the back of pickups is missing that first step up. A good wide stable step with locking legs helps makes the transition a lot smoother and safer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2EfBPgwi8E

Yep, dont ride it up, just push it up with a step up.
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Ramp for truck? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ramp for truck?   Ramp for truck? EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 2:56 pm

paramud wrote:
Chrispy1200 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2EfBPgwi8E

Yep, dont ride it up, just push it up with a step up.

LOL. What a bunch of morons in that video!!!

I just bought 2 ramps and walk up one while pushing the bike up the other. Never had a single close call.

Back to top Go down
Checkswrecks

Ramp for truck? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ramp for truck?   Ramp for truck? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 3:01 pm

We've done boards, metal rails, and backing into hills. It's just so easy to miss that we've had a number of near misses and I finally splurged to buy a folding welded aluminum job like this when it came up on Craigslist:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/26036/i/moose-racing-bi-fold-adjustable-aluminum-ramp?WT.ac=SLIsearch

It was worth every cent and has no problem with the 600 lb bikes.
I saw it as an investment, in that I know I can sell it for what I paid. It also would be paid for in a single doctor visit or bike drop!
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Ramp for truck? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ramp for truck?   Ramp for truck? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 3:45 pm

I bought 2 of these and walk up/down next to the bike. Easy peasy. They fold small enough to stay in cab will riding so I don't come out of woods to find ramps missing.

To make loading with ramp extra easy park truck with nose down hill. It lowers the ramp angle.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200328528_200328528
Back to top Go down
sophijo

Ramp for truck? Empty
PostSubject: Backwards   Ramp for truck? EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 7:23 pm

Is that backwards gatorfan?
Back to top Go down
gatorfan

gatorfan

Ramp for truck? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ramp for truck?   Ramp for truck? EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 7:47 pm

sophijo wrote:
Is that backwards gatorfan?

Nope. Nose of truck down the hill lowers the ramp angle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ramp for truck? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ramp for truck?   Ramp for truck? Empty

Back to top Go down

Ramp for truck?
Page 1 of 1