Welcome to the WRR/X Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to the WRR/X Forum

A place to share your passion for the WR250R/X!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WR250R/X Forum

Replacing rear brake pads

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
briansussex

Replacing rear brake pads Empty
PostSubject: Replacing rear brake pads   Replacing rear brake pads EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 3:25 am

Should be a 5 minute job eh?

Not with me it seems

I can't get the pads to sit in properly. They don't seem to like the top stainless steel spring clip. I am pretty sure that I am replacing it the right way up but I think that I have now bent one of the spring clips on it - the one indicate with the green arrow.

Replacing rear brake pads Rearbrakeclip_zps613aa3b9

Even the old pads won't go back in.

Can someone tell me if I have the clip the right way up i.e. as in the pic with the two small spring clips pointing upwards? That's how I am sure it came out and how it looks in the parts fiche.

I resorted to removing the rear wheel so I could work on it a bit easier but that hasn't helped and I think I have now bent a spring clip in trying to force it.

Any help and advice will be much appreciated!

Brian
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Replacing rear brake pads   Replacing rear brake pads EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 5:23 am

What year and model is your bike? R or X?

Looking at this rather generic parts fiche I don't even see those center tabs shown. dunno

Unfortunately I'm about 9 hours away from being able to look at my caliper.

Airbox Door Removed - Flapper glued - AIS removed
FmF Q4
Bridgestone Battlax BT-003rs
Back to top Go down
briansussex

PostSubject: Re: Replacing rear brake pads   Replacing rear brake pads EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 5:33 am

Hi Motokid

Its a 2009 WR250R.

Another owner sent me a pic of the clip fitted in a front caliper and it turns out to be the same method of fitting as on the rear. Nothing wrong with my clip. Just in from the garage after fitting the clip and new pads which took less than 5 minutes cheers

Sometimes its better to walk away from a troublesome job. It all seemed so easy this morning!

The only issue that I had was that the after-market pads were too thick to allow me to fit the backing plates. I will just have to remember to go back and fit them after the pads have worn in a bit.

Brian
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Replacing rear brake pads   Replacing rear brake pads EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 5:35 am

Did you compress the caliper piston with a c-clamp before you installed new pads?

as seen in this thread...

At any rate....good to know it's fixed.

Happy Trails....

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
briansussex

PostSubject: Re: Replacing rear brake pads   Replacing rear brake pads EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 5:46 am

Yep - the piston was fully retracted.

I can't see any issue with leaving out the backing plates at this stage or am I missing something?

Brian
Back to top Go down
motokid
motokid

PostSubject: Re: Replacing rear brake pads   Replacing rear brake pads EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 6:04 am

briansussex wrote:
Yep - the piston was fully retracted.

I can't see any issue with leaving out the backing plates at this stage or am I missing something?

Brian

Are you talking about the plates they refer to in the fiche as "insulator/heat" plates?

Nah - I can't see any issues with leaving them out, but then I so rarely ever use my back brake I don't think over-heating would ever be a problem for me.

FmF Q4
Back to top Go down
briansussex

PostSubject: Re: Replacing rear brake pads   Replacing rear brake pads EmptyTue Apr 23, 2013 7:18 am

Yep - those are the ones. I will relax and just be careful not to lose them whilst they aren't in use....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacing rear brake pads   Replacing rear brake pads Empty

Back to top Go down

Replacing rear brake pads
Page 1 of 1